Okay- I'll induldge you

milk
    cream
    sugar
    whey
    natural tara gum
    natural flavor

boom. delicious. done.
    I'm not saying that those ingredients are bad, but she is right--they are additives.

What is your definition of an additive?

Something that is not a basic ingredient needed for the food or that would significantly enhance flavor, texture, etc. Maybe the natural flavor could stay, but I doubt anyone eating that ice-cream could tell whether or not they added the gum. An even better example would be in the "define healthy food" thread in which I mentioned the silicon and other "stuff" that Dominoes has in their pizza.

• BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Just here for entertainment purposes B)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Read the ***** ingredients on any ice cream. They are full of additives

Okay- I'll induldge you

milk
    cream
    sugar
    whey
    natural tara gum
    natural flavor

boom. delicious. done.
    I'm not saying that those ingredients are bad, but she is right--they are additives.

Something that is not a basic ingredient needed for the food or that would significantly enhance flavor, texture, etc. An even better example would be in the "define healthy food" thread in which I mentioned the silicon and other "stuff" that Dominoes has in their pizza.

Not sure that those items significantly enhances flavors or textures - seems pretty nebulous.

Would not all toppings on pizza be an additive then?
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    3465722-pointless.jpg
  • asiawilson_
    Options

Okay- I'll induldge you

milk
    cream
    sugar
    whey
    natural tara gum
    natural flavor

boom. delicious. done.

Something that is not a basic ingredient needed for the food or that would significantly enhance flavor, texture, etc. An even better example would be in the "define healthy food" thread in which I mentioned the silicon and other "stuff" that Dominoes has in their pizza.

Not sure that those items significantly enhances flavors or textures - seems pretty nebulous.

That would be a topping not an additive lol
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

Okay- I'll induldge you

milk
    cream
    sugar
    whey
    natural tara gum
    natural flavor

boom. delicious. done.

Something that is not a basic ingredient needed for the food or that would significantly enhance flavor, texture, etc. Maybe the natural flavor could stay, but I doubt anyone eating that ice-cream could tell whether or not they added the gum. An even better example would be in the "define healthy food" thread in which I mentioned the silicon and other "stuff" that Dominoes has in their pizza.

Or you could actually research why they put gum in ice cream. It's just a stabiliser. It helps with the texture. By adding natural gums, ice cream is less likely to melt and when it does melt, the fat and water don't break out of emulsion, so when the ice cream re-freezes it doesn't turn icy.
  • Sarauk2sf
    edited January 2015
    Options

Okay- I'll induldge you

milk
    cream
    sugar
    whey
    natural tara gum
    natural flavor

boom. delicious. done.

Read the description given that I was responding to.

Also, it's called a conversation/discussion...something that you appear not to be able to grasp the concept of.

oh, and

lol.

• chivalryder
    Options
    When I put whiskey into my coffee, it's an additive. I guess I'm going to die, but at least I'll die happy.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I shudder to think what nutrition school/course is teaching people to do 80/10/10 (low protein) when cutting and paleo (high protein) when bulking.

• ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options

Okay- I'll induldge you

milk
    cream
    sugar
    whey
    natural tara gum
    natural flavor

boom. delicious. done.

Or you could actually research why they put gum in ice cream. It's just a stabiliser. It helps with the texture. By adding natural gums, ice cream is less likely to melt and when it does melt, the fat and water don't break out of emulsion, so when the ice cream re-freezes it doesn't turn icy.
    Yeah, but even still, I've had homemade ice cream, and I think the difference in how long each one takes to melt is close to being negligible.

• asiawilson_
    Options

Okay- I'll induldge you

milk
    cream
    sugar
    whey
    natural tara gum
    natural flavor

boom. delicious. done.

Also, it's called a conversation/discussion...something that you appear not to be able to grasp the concept of.

oh, and

lol.

• Sarauk2sf
    Options

Okay- I'll induldge you

milk
    cream
    sugar
    whey
    natural tara gum
    natural flavor

boom. delicious. done.

Yeah, but even still, I've had homemade ice cream, and I think the difference in how long each one takes to melt is close to being negligible.

Then by your definition, its not an additive.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Okay- I'll induldge you

milk
    cream
    sugar
    whey
    natural tara gum
    natural flavor

boom. delicious. done.

oh, and

lol.

Totally agree with you on this one....
  • asiawilson_
    Options
    On the back of bluebell ice cream just for an example. High fructose corn syrup, carrageenan, annatto color are all bad additives that cause health problems.
  • Sarauk2sf
    edited January 2015
    Options
    On the back of bluebell ice cream just for an example. High fructose corn syrup, carrageenan, annatto color are all bad additives that cause health problems.

What health problems?

You may want to check what those things are btw before you jump down the 'oh noes' its bad route.
  • asiawilson_
    Options

Okay- I'll induldge you

milk
    cream
    sugar
    whey
    natural tara gum
    natural flavor

boom. delicious. done.

oh, and

lol.

Grasp dese!!!!
  • chivalryder
    Options

Then don't eat that ice cream. Get a different ice cream.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I shudder to think what nutrition school/course is teaching people to do 80/10/10 (low protein) when cutting and paleo (high protein) when bulking.

nature path school?
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Okay- I'll induldge you

milk
    cream
    sugar
    whey
    natural tara gum
    natural flavor

boom. delicious. done.

Then by your definition, its not an additive.
    I thought the opposite; if each one takes about the same time to melt, there isn't really a purpose in adding the gum. So, it's really not significantly enhancing anything.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Okay- I'll induldge you

milk
    cream
    sugar
    whey
    natural tara gum
    natural flavor

boom. delicious. done.

obviously it makes a difference or they wouldn't be making it the way they make it.

I made ice cream when I was 5 years old- put it in a coffee can and we kicked it around the school yard... seems like a horribly inefficient way to make ice cream- and it certainly wasn't as good as my turkey hill moose tracks.

Just because there is a more simple way to do something doesn't make it automatically better.

Riding a horse is simpler than building a car- but yet we all drive cars now a day because it's more efficient.

Picking up a log is more simple than adding weights to a barbell... but again- not as efficient.

so no- more simple =/= BETTER.
    thank god.