Preteens eating my diet food

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    reading these pages makes me insanely happy that I barely have to fight my cats for cooked meats- much less kids for food.

all the food in my house is minomine. I share meat occasionaly wtih the cats- and when BF is here I have to worry about steak- otherwise he doesn't eat anything that's mine.

well except the york mints- and he learned his lesson- if he eats the last one replace it promptly.
    holly55555 wrote: »
    I think it's kind of ridiculous to only buy food for yourself if your kids like it too! Especially since it's healthy!

You said money isn't an issue, just buy enough for everyone. It's totally selfish that you get the raspberries and no one else does.

incorrect.

Absolutely 100% incorrect.
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Throw thier cereal and chips away and say you ate it, since your food was gone.
  • paj315
    paj315 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! My kids do the same darn thing to me! I usually eat ceral as a post lifting recovery along with my protein shake. I bought a box of vanilla chex to try for this. The next day I went to measure out my portion to takewith me to the gym and the box was completely empty. This same thing happened to me THREE times in a row. So with the FOURTH box of vanilla chex I bought I threatened them that if the box got opened before I got what I wanted out that priveleges would be taken away! Well that finally worked!

Also I bought Nesquick powder to mix into my protein shakes occasionaly and the same thing kept happening so I saved a used protein powder container and dumped it in there. They won't touch protein powder!

Another trick I've used is I saved an oatmeal container and stored my protein bars in it!

My two teenage boys would eat every scrap of food in the house if I didn't put limits on them. I have an open policy for the fruit bown so if they are actually truly hungry there's always something for them to eat.
  • CarrieCans
    CarrieCans Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I didn't bother to read everything....

I am the "Head" of my household. My BF makes the $. I do all of the bill paying, shopping, most of the cleaning, all of the cooking, i make sure everyone gets where they need to go when they need to be there, i make sure they are clean, happy, healthy, warm etc.

Because i am in charge of so much i expect to be treated well by my family. If i buy something specifically for me, it's mine (i often share). The same goes for when i buy things specifically for someone else, it's theirs. Everyone respects everyone else.

You could reduce the confusion by reducing the variety. You could also teach them to appreciate what is theirs by making them go without some of their preferred items for a while.

If kids aren't respecting the parents then there's a serious family issue that goes beyond who is eating what.

OMG i just remembered that the other day i threw a fit because someone ate all of the carrots when i wasn't looking and i was mad because i was planning on eating them. It suddenly struck me that someone made a healthy choice in my house without me steering them towards it. I apologized for my fit and smothered my 10 year old in kisses and told her to let me know next time.
  • paj315
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Also I store things in my underwear drawer that I don't want them to get into! Teenage boys stay FAR away from mom's underwear drawer!!!!

I grew up with 6 brothers and my mom and dad had their own mini fridge in their master bedroom that had a lock on it. Seemed weird to me then but now I TOTALLY understand!!
  • JBuchananon
    JBuchananon Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Before you are about the age of 22, you are still growing vertically (adolescent and young adult) Probably the worst time to diet, especially if you are just gonna restrict yourself. The food is gone because they are hungry and growing! Save your money on low calories snacks and opt for fresh fruits and vegetables. Teens aren't gonna touch the vegetables so you can have them =) Don't buy food that is advertised as Diet food! It may make you thinner, but it is not healthy!
  • kwjager
    kwjager Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of changing the wifi password as a consequence to the kids eating your snacks. You have the right to eat your own snacks! It is NOT cool that the rest of your family disregards this fact, and I support you in establishing a firm boundary and making some unpleasant consequences if others cross that boundary.
  • hapa11
    hapa11 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. 3 hungry kids here too. Good luck and be glad they like good, nutritious food!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Take pictures where you're ripping a monster fart on the produce, sneezing on the salad shrimp, and using the yogurt like it's deodorant. Attach the pictures to your goodies.

Better yet, let them know that they're preteens and therefore property. Property gets to eat what you say it does. You aren't in a democracy, you rule the roost. Be the alpha!

Mini fridge?!? Are you kidding me?
    1. Completely unnecessary
    2. Waste of money to purchase and operate
    3. Won't solve the problem. (I assume they're smart enough to operate a refrigerator, mini or otherwise...)

She already said her kids respect a shelf in a fridge, I'm sure they'd respect a mini fridge - and it would give her more room since it might be a reason why she "mixes the raspberries with the other stuff" instead of putting them on her shelf. Besides, I said she could consider it. Not that she SHOULD OH MOST DEFINITELY GET ONE. Grow up! It's a suggestion (and a fairly mundane one at that) - why are you getting all worked up? Did a mini fridge fall on your first born or something?

So..

1) Possibly unnecessary, possibly useful
    2) Money doesn't seem to be an issue and a used one might only cost $50. Depending where she lives, electricity might be cheap. Example, if she lives where I live, our prices are 1/2 the cost of everywhere else in the country. Plus she wouldn't even need to keep it running all the time! She could just plug it in when she's splurged on her treats and is worried someone else will eat them.
    3) Might help with the problem if she's disinterested in actually talking to her kids about it
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    paj315 wrote: »
    Also I store things in my underwear drawer that I don't want them to get into! Teenage boys stay FAR away from mom's underwear drawer!!!!
    I know this isn't what you mean, but I'm just giggling at the idea of raspberries in the underwear drawer.

I wouldn't sweat keeping some luxuries for yourself. You've already provided your kids with so much.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    ******You are a priority just as much as the rest of the other members of the household.****

Buy extra of your designated foods and mark it as family friendly, mark your food for you as you have done.

Have a family meeting and let everyone know that you do not appreciate your food disappearing before you get a chance to eat it.

Also, discuss this with your husband. He should also be able to enforce rules about not eating food that you have designated for yourself.
  • libbydoodle11
    Options
    laura2813 wrote: »
    When my children were at home and I bought stuff that was for me I would tell them so. If they decided to eat what was mine I would tell them all the extra I get for them will stop if they choose to eat my items. I didn't mind buying them stuff they ask for and having healthy stuff for them but my problems came when I went to get a snack for me and it was all gone. There were a few times I didn't get that special snack they wanted or and ice cream treat because they had indulged on my stuff. It seemed to work after they had to do without their special stuff a few times. In no way should you think you are being mean. There are limits in life..... why not learn some limits now? It's like eating your co-workers lunch out of the refrigerator at work. It's just not the thing to do.

**agree with this**

• Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Kudos, zarckon, for starting one of the more interesting threads in some time. Repeating myself, but again I am amazed at the differences of opinion and how strongly-held those opinions seem to be.
  • libbydoodle11
    Options
    kwjager wrote: »
    I like the idea of changing the wifi password as a consequence to the kids eating your snacks. You have the right to eat your own snacks! It is NOT cool that the rest of your family disregards this fact, and I support you in establishing a firm boundary and making some unpleasant consequences if others cross that boundary.

I think changing the wifi code is a great idea if they have not responded to your original request to not eat your goodies.

I know I can't live without my wifi...

• Th3Ph03n1x
    Th3Ph03n1x Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Well there's a lot of opinions on this but what they hey I'll toss mine in the mix too. I think the idea that you can't buy food for just you is bull. With the caveat that they have healthy food choices that they like. They don't HAVE to be allowed to eat your raspberries if they have apples, bananas and oranges to choose from. Do you buy them things that you don't eat? I will bet that you do and if so fair is fair.

Tell them not to eat them or tell them they can only eat x amount (self control is a GOOD thing to teach your children perhaps the BEST skill they could have) whichever works best for you and then enforce it. I share most things with the boys but there are sometimes foods I buy just for them and just for me. So long as they have choices that they like too I don't see a big problem with having some things just for you.
  • paj315
    Options
    paj315 wrote: »
    I know this isn't what you mean, but I'm just giggling at the idea of raspberries in the underwear drawer.

I wouldn't sweat keeping some luxuries for yourself. You've already provided your kids with so much.

Yeah the underwear drawer really only works for those NON refrigerated items!

• corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    One, this isn't the fifties.
    Two, this isn't the fifties.
    Three, since when did leading a lifestyle that postpones the need for someone to help take care of you become selfish? CNA's aren't getting cheaper.
  • emcmullen20
    emcmullen20 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    that is not unreasonable at all!!! My dad to this day has his own little "dad cabinet" of snacks he prefers.

To possibly help remedy your situation : At a certain age my parents used to make us buy our own things if we wanted them for ourselves
    for example: mom would buy apples and oranges and bananas for the whole house, but, if we wanted something special (like mangoes, papaya etc.) then we would buy them for ourselves and label them.

It honestly helped me understand the expense of buying groceries and feeding a family.

if they dont have a way to make money or an allowance... then maybe divide the container and label part of it MOM'S and then leave some for them as well.

also ... a way my husband and i keep each other from eating snacks is getting flavors they you like , but, know the other won't. He knows that heavy wasabi or garlic flavors I will not touch and I know that he will eat all of my grean beans but will never touch my brussel sprouts :-)

• renfen
    renfen Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My 19 year old ate EVERY SINGLE Fiber One Brownie in the house in two days and I had them hidden. She has a nose like a blood hound!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    here's an idea, wash it all in a laxative. Know which food is "tainted" (heh) and don't touch it, then when they eat it. Bluff and bluster as normal... while internally laughing and being ready to watch the feces hit the fan.