Preteens eating my diet food

Replies

• fallenangel316
    fallenangel316 Posts: 16
    edited January 2015
    My dad did a similar thing when i was growing up.. But it wasn't for diet food it was for chocolates and other sugar treats my brother couldn't eat but did anyway (sugar used to mess him up). He got a plastic tackel box and lock and kept the key with him.. im not joking either..
    maybe that's something to consider if they keep eating your "diet" food
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    gothchiq wrote: »
    .... It appears that some people have never heard of discipline? Those who think discipline is a bad idea, I sure hope *you* don't have kids. Kids are not adults, they are supposed to mind. If they don't, consequences are appropriate. Such as the consequence NoelFigart1 has proposed there.

You discipline your kids for eating fruit (eating anything actually)?

• dawn0293
    dawn0293 Posts: 115 Member
    PurrlyGirl wrote: »
    Holy wow I never thought there were so many people that felt it was wrong to have separate foods and to not just let your kids eat whatever they can grab. I have separate food in my house for some things. Many things are communal - our fresh fruit basket, bread, milk, etc. Those are for everyone. Some things are just for the kids - string cheese, GoGurt, shredded wheat, chicken nuggets, etc. And some things are just for me/my husband.

We do it all separately too. Even my hubby and I have our own foods since he and I are on two totally different diets. The kids get stuff they love (minus 99% of the junk food my youngest would live off of if she could) but they don't get to eat our stuff without permission and they know it. They have gotten their computer time taken away the few times they've tried to sneak stuff and hide the evidence. They learned.

• kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    I find I end up biting my tongue sometimes.

I told my daughter I had pulled a pomegranate apart, and the seeds were in the fridge if she wanted some. I measured out 100 grams for my snack, and had a few. As I walk into the living room, she says "Oh, cool" and grabs a handful out of my cup. I have no way of knowing the weight of what she took, so I have to gracefully accept that I get fewer calories than my target that day (I know it's only a few, but...).

I end up letting her take bites from my measured-out meals, or defrosting one for her, only to have her not eat part of it. If this happened before my diet, I would have just eaten her leftovers instead of having to throw out food (I was kind of the family's trash compactor).

But, in the balance of things, it's good to have her eating healthy meals, so I grit my teeth and bear it... :(
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    3laine75 wrote: »
    gothchiq wrote: »
    .... It appears that some people have never heard of discipline? Those who think discipline is a bad idea, I sure hope *you* don't have kids. Kids are not adults, they are supposed to mind. If they don't, consequences are appropriate. Such as the consequence NoelFigart1 has proposed there.

You discipline your kids for eating fruit (eating anything actually)?

I honestly can't even wrap my mind around that.

As for the person who mentioned how nice it must be to "just go buy more" ... We're a single income home as I stay home with our two children. We rent our home, our cars are paid off, and we have 1 credit card that has a balance. DH has paid for his school 100% out of pocket having just completed his associates degree while working full time. I don't need to be told about budgets and constraints, it's been snug here for a few years.

If my kids wanted to eat fruit, even if it were something I had intended for myself, I'm not going to disable the wifi for them doing so. We don't have a lot of extra money, but if my kids are going to through fruits and veggies and we need more I will find a way. I'm not going to punish or deny my children produce for any reason save for excessive consumption (my youngest would eat all the blueberries she could until she's pooping funny, so at times she has to be told enough is enough).
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    603reader wrote: »
    cebreisch wrote: »
    I have two girls. I swear, one of them is going to be a dietician! She keeps talking about having "healthy snacks" and not eating certain things because they aren't healthy! LOL I keep telling her sometimes it isn't necessarily the item itself that's not healthy, but the amount of it that's unhealthy (1 cookie vs. the whole container of cookies).

I started buying greek yogurt, light string cheese, I'd get a certain sort of pretzels and portion them out into baggies....then my kids started eating them too. I just order more of that stuff now.

If my new habits of eating better is rubbing off on them, then I'm all for it!! LOL

I feel sad for your daughter and her relationship with food.

geez I feel great for your daughter! with all the childhood obesity (and general obesity) you should be thankful she wants to eat healthy!!! No idea what above poster was talking about. Maybe no kids? geez who knows
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Honestly I've been there, and I just don't buy the $6 raspberries anymore, even for me... because I don't like having to tell the kids they can't have them (I did once, told them it was for me, then I took a portion the next day and let them have the rest, but they were not $6 either).

Now I just use frozen berries until they are reasonably priced again. Or apples. Or pears. I do however keep a shelf for my stuff, but it's not things they would like anyway (like protein bars etc).
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    jpaulie wrote: »
    I have two girls. I swear, one of them is going to be a dietician! She keeps talking about having "healthy snacks" and not eating certain things because they aren't healthy! LOL I keep telling her sometimes it isn't necessarily the item itself that's not healthy, but the amount of it that's unhealthy (1 cookie vs. the whole container of cookies).

I started buying greek yogurt, light string cheese, I'd get a certain sort of pretzels and portion them out into baggies....then my kids started eating them too. I just order more of that stuff now.

If my new habits of eating better is rubbing off on them, then I'm all for it!! LOL

geez I feel great for your daughter! with all the childhood obesity (and general obesity) you should be thankful she wants to eat healthy!!! No idea what above poster was talking about. Maybe no kids? geez who knows

Supposedly that user thinks labeling foods as healthy and unhealthy equals having an eating disorder.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member

Supposedly that user thinks labeling foods as healthy and unhealthy equals having an eating disorder.

This is the new normal. It reminds me of the whole "all kids get ribbons and trophies" thing.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Laughs- and its going to keep happening. Wait til they start taking your clothes too. Personally, the only special thing I buy for my teen that I don't eat is her cup of noodles (sodium city!). Otherwise she eats what I eat.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Since you stated in the first post the money for food was not an issue in your house why not let them eat healthy now so they do not have to learn to do so after they develop health related concerns?
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member

This is the new normal. It reminds me of the whole "all kids get ribbons and trophies" thing.

About half of the country is obese - why is it a bad idea to try to change the way our kids view and feel about food? While I don't think healthy vs unhealthy will spark an eating disorder, neither do I think that changing the conversation about food is an "everyone's a winner" mentality.

At home we do sometimes food and always food. It works for us. I don't like using the word unhealthy because for me it implies bad, or wrong - and those aren't words that have a place with food, IMO.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited January 2015

About half of the country is obese - why is it a bad idea to try to change the way our kids view and feel about food? While I don't think healthy vs unhealthy will spark an eating disorder, neither do I think that changing the conversation about food is an "everyone's a winner" mentality.

At home we do sometimes food and always food. It works for us. I don't like using the word unhealthy because for me it implies bad, or wrong - and those aren't words that have a place with food, IMO.
    It's ok for that kid to want to eat healthy. It's ok for that kid to label junk food junk food and opt not to eat it.

It's preferable to "there are no good or bad foods" in my books as some foods are much healthier than others and I don't see an issue labeling them as such. And yes, to me the "every food is fine" is a cop out. Labeling foods healthier and less healthy is one good way to teach kids about nutrition and eating right.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    You've already gotten a wide range of views and it sounds like found something that may work for you.

I just wanted to chime in because I'm surprised how different the views are, and how strongly held in some cases. My kids (just shy of 13, just shy of 13, and 16) can eat through a mountain of fruit. One of my almost-13 yo's ate 11 -- *ELEVEN* -- mangoes in about 12-14 hours, which pissed the other two kids off to no end since we had brought home a dozen (and these were somewhat expensive mangoes imported from India - went to a special Indian grocery that gets an allocation every season).

Anyway, I happily encourage my kids to eat fruit, and veggies, and "healthy" foods when they're hungry, and basically whenever they want (absent dinner in a few minutes) - and we have a fair bit of what some on these forums would label "junk" food around pretty much all the time. But I have no issue whatsoever with specifying some foods off-limits. There are certainly foods in our house that are for mom, or for dad, or for either parent, and the kids know they're not supposed to eat it. They know the rules, and they follow them most of the time (hence a recent rule that mangoes get split up equally).

My kids know not to hit the Talenti gelato, and they don't without asking; but we might have some ice cream around for them. (They also know not to raid my smoked salmon, my tequila, my coffee, and my blue cheese -- easy for them since none of that has any appeal). But they also stay away from some of my wife's cookies designated as "mom's only" -- they have their own cookies.

Rambling post coming to an end -- I don't see anything wrong or strange about placing some items off limits to your kids, be it raspberries or anything else.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member

It's ok for that kid to want to eat healthy. It's ok for that kid to label junk food junk food and opt not to eat it.

It's preferable to "there are no good or bad foods" in my books as some foods are much healthier than others and I don't see an issue labeling them as such. And yes, to me the "every food is fine" is a cop out. Labeling foods healthier and less healthy is one good way to teach kids about nutrition and eating right.

I might have misunderstood the post of yours that I quoted. If so, apologies.

I do agree that some foods are (obviously) healthier than others - and that's a really important distinction when you're teaching your kids about food and nutrition.

Personally, I don't like using words like "bad" and "unhealthy" for my own mental health reasons :)
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    If money is not an issue then....buy more so everyone can enjoy?
    I personally find it weird that families have their own food separated in the fridge and sometimes hide it from each other.
    But different strokes for different folks, I guess.
  • twopeas2
    twopeas2 Posts: 81 Member
    If I am saving up a punnet of raspberries for myself and the kids ask for it, the answer is no, but they always have the choice of another kind of yummy fruit and I don't do it all the time. My mum always bought chocolate and bikkies as her 'mum' food and then wouldn't let us eat it EVER, which was one of the reasons I started binging on that kind of stuff and ended up having an unhealthy obsession with it, so I'd rather say no to the berries and have them long for that than chocolate :D
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    twopeas2 wrote: »
    If I am saving up a punnet of raspberries for myself and the kids ask for it, the answer is no, but they always have the choice of another kind of yummy fruit and I don't do it all the time. My mum always bought chocolate and bikkies as her 'mum' food and then wouldn't let us eat it EVER, which was one of the reasons I started binging on that kind of stuff and ended up having an unhealthy obsession with it, so I'd rather say no to the berries and have them long for that than chocolate :D
    What?
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    zarckon wrote: »
    I should have mentioned - I do have a shelf of "Mom's stuff". They don't go after that at all, even though the good dark chocolate is there. And I've asked them not to eat the raspberries, but they still do, because it's kind of mixed in with everything else in the fridge. They would definitely respect a label. Just trying to decide if it's too mean.

If they respect a label and they respect your stuff, why WOULDN'T you put a label on your raspberries? You get them the foods they want, and it's ok to enjoy the foods you want without having to worry about your kids eating them all. It isn't mean to have boundaries.