Preteens eating my diet food

Options
MFP, I need advice! I was going to call this thread "Food and parenting" but I see that topic is already taken *grin*

So, I am the mom in a family of 4. My children are preteens, and I am the only one with a weight problem. Kids and husband are normal weight (but aware of what they eat/how much they exercise), and I still have 40-50 lbs to go after 30 lbs lost in 6 months.

We all eat fresh, healthy food - very little that's processed or from a package. I cook every day, and shop every week. Our pantry and fridge are stocked with a wide variety of foods for meals and snacks: cereal, veggies, meat, cheese, eggs, soup, bread, crackers, fresh & dried fruit, etc etc etc. I stock the fruit bowl to overflowing twice a week. My kids have fairly sophisticated palates for their ages and generally prefer fresh food to junk. They can both cook and they make their own lunches.

I spend about $300/week on groceries because we eat really well. Money's not a problem, but I like to shop smart.

I buy stuff for the family that I don't eat myself. I don't drink soymilk, but one child prefers it, so I buy it for him even though it's expensive. One child likes chips in his lunch, so I buy them even though I'd rather not have them in the house (remember, judgmental folks from the "Parenting and Food" thread: no weight problem). I buy each child their preferred cereal, and let them add to the grocery week through the week (within reason!). My husband prefers organic eggs ($6/carton as opposed to $3 for the regular ones), so I buy them for the household, even though it's expensive.

The problem is that I also buy "diet" foods for myself that look delicious to everyone else, and that are expensive enough that I wouldn't buy them otherwise. They're not the bulk of my diet, but they are something to really look forward to, and they keep me "on the wagon". For example, one of my favorite nighttime snacks is a dab of greek yogurt with a few fresh raspberries or strawberries. It's about 35 calories and I'd rather have that than candy. Or I'll buy salad shrimp and have them for lunch over a few days (150 cals for an amazing salad that I look forward to all day).

But with preteens in the house, my delicious-but-low-cal-foods disappear instantly. For example, I bought a pint of out-of-season raspberries for $6 (ouch) and hid them in the veggie drawer. That's a week's worth for me. The kids found them and ate them all at once. Or I'll buy fresh strawberries in December ($8/qt), and then find that my husband (generally VERY supportive, but he loves strawberries too) put them ALL in a smoothie, even though we have tons of frozen fruit that's just as good if all you're doing it is throwing it in a blender. To me that's incredibly wasteful, but more importantly, it means I can't have my strawberries and yogurt.

This week I bought salad shrimp and labelled them "Mom's stuff, don't touch". My kids have been hounding me about the darned things for 3 days, but at least they haven't eaten them. But now I feel guilty. Maybe I shouldn't buy stuff at all if it's not "for everyone". Unless it's for one of them, but not for me.

The mom is always supposed to put herself last. And usually I do. You could say that's one reason I'm still fat with "baby weight" 10 years later ... because taking care of my kids, going to work, volunteering at school, helping with homework, cooking for the family - everything took priority over exercise. I'm trying to change that, because sometimes you have to put yourself first, right?

So my question is: Am I being totally unreasonable and selfish to think I can have a few little luxuries in very small quantities that are too expensive for my teens to gobble down? Or are they being selfish by eating "reserved" food, like if I drank up my son's soymilk when I could just as easily drink cow's milk, but he can't? Or is there another option I'm not thinking of?

MFP hivemind: discuss.

Replies

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Who told you you were supposed to put yourself last? Nonsense. Tell the kids that if they eat your designated foods, there will be consequences, then follow through. They eat all your raspberries? Take away privileges. They'll get the message.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    My kid does this too and it ticks me off to no end. Recently, she ate my gluten free pancake mix though she had 5 whole grain non-gluten free, high quality pancake mix choices in the pantry. Leave my food alone! Yeah, time to tell them to leave your stuff alone or there will be consequences.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I wouldn't punish them for eating your food, even though it's a treat you look forward to. Maybe make a container that says for Mom only, and explain them that they can have anything else in the fridge, but leave that one alone? And then buy extras of what they're eating of yours so they can still have it? I mean, if they don't know you don't want them eating it, then why wouldn't they? Telling them ahead of time and making it obvious that this stuff is for you might keep them at bay.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    *grin* If you've labelled it as yours?

Every time someone eats it anyway, you change the wifi password and they have to do a certain amount of chores to find out what the new one is.
  • gothchiq
    Options
    .... It appears that some people have never heard of discipline? Those who think discipline is a bad idea, I sure hope *you* don't have kids. Kids are not adults, they are supposed to mind. If they don't, consequences are appropriate. Such as the consequence NoelFigart1 has proposed there.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    I have a 13 year old stepson, husband, and toddler at home. I think its rude to have no regard for others in the house and consume or take all of something, whether its food or something else. Its also alot of money and annoying when you buy something like raspberries out of season or cookies and it gets consumed in one sitting. I often remind them that there are 3 other people besides themselves in our house.

Sounds like your kids are old enough to tell them that there are certain foods off limits. They get their special requests that are just for them, mom is allowed to, too. It won't eliminate it but hopefully it'll help.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    If it's chilly enough where you are to keep them from spoiling, I'd hide them in the car. And then lock it.

I mean the foods, not the kids. But I guess that could work, too....
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    I should have mentioned - I do have a shelf of "Mom's stuff". They don't go after that at all, even though the good dark chocolate is there. And I've asked them not to eat the raspberries, but they still do, because it's kind of mixed in with everything else in the fridge. They would definitely respect a label. Just trying to decide if it's too mean.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Have you talked to them? Told them what you're striving for, asked for their help, maybe set up a shelf or drawer for your "diet foods" and asked them to leave them be?
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I have two girls. I swear, one of them is going to be a dietician! She keeps talking about having "healthy snacks" and not eating certain things because they aren't healthy! LOL I keep telling her sometimes it isn't necessarily the item itself that's not healthy, but the amount of it that's unhealthy (1 cookie vs. the whole container of cookies).

I started buying greek yogurt, light string cheese, I'd get a certain sort of pretzels and portion them out into baggies....then my kids started eating them too. I just order more of that stuff now.

If my new habits of eating better is rubbing off on them, then I'm all for it!! LOL
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    My family eats that healthy treat that I wanted all the time. Sometimes I find something else, sometimes I push my husband out the door to replace the raspberries or whatever, sometimes I go myself. You've got to be a little pleased they are all following your example and eating healthily, right?
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    It is not too selfish to ask that they not touch an occasional treat. I mean, I know what it is to live with people who act like they were raised by wolves and don't get family or co-operation, and goodness knows that utterly sucks. If the rules change constantly or it turns out that they do not get treats, it would be different.

• MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    gothchiq wrote: »
    .... It appears that some people have never heard of discipline? Those who think discipline is a bad idea, I sure hope *you* don't have kids. Kids are not adults, they are supposed to mind. If they don't, consequences are appropriate. Such as the consequence NoelFigart1 has proposed there.

Yes I do have a child. I also have common sense and strong family values where we share things. We aren't a group of selfish people.

Apparently we should send your award for Parent of the Year over because it seems you're the only one without this issue. Or apparently any issues.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    zarckon wrote: »
    I should have mentioned - I do have a shelf of "Mom's stuff". They don't go after that at all, even though the good dark chocolate is there. And I've asked them not to eat the raspberries, but they still do, because it's kind of mixed in with everything else in the fridge. They would definitely respect a label. Just trying to decide if it's too mean.

I don't think it's mean. If they want rasberries, you can buy a general stash to stick in the fridge as well as some for yourself. Make it part of their portion of the grocery list you were talking about. If they respect your Mom shelf, then do something similar in the fridge, maybe designate one of the drawers for your stuff.
  • Canwehugnow
    Canwehugnow Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I understand the whole concept of mom putting herself last. My mother's exactly like that... and even after my dad's passing in 2010, she's yet to learn to be selfish. It's really OK to be selfish with your treat. Wouldn't your son be upset if you drank all his soy milk? Mothers are a blessing, and they need to taken care of as well. Tell them to keep their hands off your snacks, and enjoy them freely. :)
  • gothchiq
    Options
    Not being "selfish" does not mean complete self sacrifice or self abasement, either. It is appropriate for kids to learn how to respect their parents, and the boundaries of other people, and that includes not gobbling up something that is part of another person's special diet. We're not talking three year olds. They know better, I assure you. Ugh, the times we live in! I really, really love the wifi password idea. XD
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

It's not too mean.
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    The mom is always supposed to put herself last. And usually I do. You could say that's one reason I'm still fat with "baby weight" 10 years later ... because taking care of my kids, going to work, volunteering at school, helping with homework, cooking for the family - everything took priority over exercise. I'm trying to change that, because sometimes you have to put yourself first, right?

So my question is: Am I being totally unreasonable and selfish to think I can have a few little luxuries in very small quantities that are too expensive for my teens to gobble down? Or are they being selfish by eating "reserved" food, like if I drank up my son's soymilk when I could just as easily drink cow's milk, but he can't? Or is there another option I'm not thinking of?

MFP hivemind: discuss.

Noooooooo!!!

The mom is NOT always supposed to put herself last. That is bologna.

You need to eat healthy. If your family eats your healthy food and leaves you with nothing good to eat, that is a huge problem for you. It undermines your health and wellness. When you are healthy and well, it means you will live longer and better and have more time and better time with your kids and spouse. So, everyone has a vested interest in mom being healthy.

Its like when you travel on an airplane, and the flight attendants demonstrate what to do if the oxygen masks deploy. If you are a mom traveling with your child, you put your mask on first, then put the mask on your child...because if you faint, who is going to help your child?

I have been there and there is nothing like coming home after a long day to find that the cupboard is bare of your food. I prepare a lot of protein ahead of time, so that I can snack on it instead of going to the pantry for processed stuff. This is in addition to what I make for meals. When it is gone, and I am hungry!? Whoa boy. This has also happened with protein shakes and protein bars, which I keep in stock for those times when I have to travel and may not be able to get appropriate food.

You also need to exercise. You have to make time for that, away from others if necessary, and don't give it up for anything other than a true emergency.

You are allowed to eat fresh raspberries and have 60 minutes a day for yourself. You are not a bad mom if you jealously guard these things, for your own wellbeing. Your family probably gets 95% of your time and energy. You need some for yourself.

Strategize around the problem. They want to eat what you buy? Make them make a short list of desired food for the week before you go shopping, and then make them stick to it. If they want raspberries, too, go to a warehouse store and buy a quart, then give them each a portion of it. It is not that much more money, and honestly, it saves frustration and they learn that they have to share.