Fear

Options
yopeeps025
yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
I do not understand this fear of the gym that people have?

Can someone elaborate like what you feel that makes the gym so intimidating?

Replies

• lisalips30
    lisalips30 Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    the world ending
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    There is a 50% it will blow up.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I don't have a fear of the gym, I just don't like people so I workout in my basement instead.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    I don't have a fear of the gym, I just don't like people so I workout in my basement instead.

LOL
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    Fear of the unknown, fear of being judged, fear of looking like an idiot.... For me, it was the first and 3rd about the weight room. When I just went in and did it, I owned it. Now, all I care about is that girl I see in the mirror and that's my only competition.
  • EZDUZIT68
    EZDUZIT68 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Some people feel working out is a personal thing; maybe it's shyness or a lack of self-confidence. I think of it as being similar to singing - did you ever know someone who had a really good singing voice that sang in the shower, around the house, etc. that was terrified of singing on stage?
  • _Tink_
    _Tink_ Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options

This. And I have no desire to be judged.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    _Tink_ wrote: »

Yuppers. I can go at my own leisure, don't have to wait for equipment, can dress however I like. It's freaking awesome.
  • doomspark
    doomspark Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Don't like being laughed at. So I walk on my treadmill at home.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    doomspark wrote: »
    Don't like being laughed at. So I walk on my treadmill at home.

How do you know they are laughing at you? Or is it in your head?
  • _Tink_
    _Tink_ Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options

Yuppers. I can go at my own leisure, don't have to wait
    for equipment, can dress however I like. It's freaking awesome.

Plus I tend to dance between sets. And loudly sing along to highly inappropriate lyrics. It really is awesome.
  • Building_Bulk
    Building_Bulk Posts: 20,596 Member
    Options
    Plus I tend to dance between sets. And loudly sing along to highly inappropriate lyrics. It really is awesome.

LOL...I go to the gym and have been known to do this quite often.

I don't fear the gym because I don't care what people think. I am there for me and no one else.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    EZDUZIT68 wrote: »
    Some people feel working out is a personal thing; maybe it's shyness or a lack of self-confidence. I think of it as being similar to singing - did you ever know someone who had a really good singing voice that sang in the shower, around the house, etc. that was terrified of singing on stage?

The gym can and more likely will help with both of those so.
  • peaceful_minion
    peaceful_minion Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    If theres other people around I have a hard time tuning them out and focusing on the workout. Earbuds dont help much. Hyperawareness?
  • summerhaze71
    summerhaze71 Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I went to the gym at the college and tried using their weight machines... I pushed and pushed and pushed and nothing happened, so I thought I was a major weakling and walked away in shame, lol. Come to find out, to use the machines you had to get an access card that went into some slot on the machine to unlock it. Who knew?

So for me, it is just not understanding how the equipment works and feeling kinda silly trying to figure it all out.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    If theres other people around I have a hard time tuning them out and focusing on the workout. Earbuds dont help much. Hyperawareness?

Interesting

• yopeeps025
    Options
    doing-crossfit-did-not-read+partner+fran.gif

I would fear seeing something like this.
  • EZDUZIT68
    EZDUZIT68 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    We haven't mentioned the possibility that the local gyms near some people could be overrun with a-holes...
  • ckmnacln
    ckmnacln Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Ahhhhh the gym........my home away from home. People (mostly men) fear ME there. *evil laugh*
  • ryanlee77
    ryanlee77 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Lol this is an awesome topic ..my fear for the longest time was having gas while lifting something heavy