What helps you wake up early to get that workout in?

Replies

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    That awkward morning when you forget to set your alarm and still wake up at 4:30 on the dot...
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    That winning morning when you forget to set your alarm and still wake up at 4:30 on the dot...

fify
  • Leyshinka
    Leyshinka Posts: 54 Member
    Apart from some of the things already mentioned I used to set 7 alarms on different gadgets. Each set few minutes after the other.... By the time I was done turning them all off I was wide awake...

It gets easier once you get a routine and now a splash or two of cold water on my face does the trick
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    thank you
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    I've asked my house domovoi to make sure I wake up when my alarm goes off.
  • MelanieRBrace
    MelanieRBrace Posts: 245 Member
    A good night sleep and getting to bed early the night before.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    That winning morning when you forget to set your alarm and still wake up at 4:30 on the dot...

fify

It's definitely better than missing my workout and/or work, that's for sure!!!!

• yoovie
    I have Alfred.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    CassieP16 wrote: »
    I know I have asked this before, but I am in a bit of a big slump currently. I am aiming to be outta bed by 5am and in the living room and my work out video no later than 5:15am. For those of you who workout early in the morning as well what helped you get in this habit? I know I should just suck it up and get up and go but I am not a big morning person so for me to get in the habit it takes me a bit. So what did you do or what helped you get in the habit? I know once I get a routine going it will be something I just do. I just need to get there! Thanks in advance! :D

This probably sounds "douchey" but it's the truth; my training goals keep me motivated to get out of bed and I go to bed at a sensible time.
  • yoovie
    that doesn't sound douchey, it sounds balanced and healthy. you dont have to bribe or trick yourself into anything because you have focus and discipline.

#doinitright
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    edited January 2015
    Nothing works so far. I will try the new ideas (to me) posted on this thread.

Other times are fine, it's just that family seems to claim all time until I fall asleep.
  • CassieR6
    CassieR6 Posts: 280 Member
    You all are totally right! I need to change my habits and get to bed at an early time. I love how this is still going. Thank you all for the responses so far.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Nothing...I hate early morning workouts. I only do them when absolutely necessary. I'd much rather swing by the gym on my way home from work in the evening.
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 897 Member
    I was always an afternoon/night exerciser, but decided I wanted to switch to before work for various reasons. I now get up at 4am to workout, but in the beginning it was very hard (and still occasionally can be).

I will share what worked for me.

1.) Having everything set out and ready to go. No thinking required. My workout clothes and things are all laid out, my work clothes are all set, my lunch all packed, etc.

2.) Put your alarm out of reach. This way, you actually have to get up to shut it off.

2.) No shower the night before. I hate being dirty (it drives me nuts) and I cannot show up to work looking greasy. Thus, I have to get up early to shower anyway, so I mine as well get up that extra 30-60 minutes to workout and then shower. (This is really what convinced me some days when I wanted to roll over.)

I hope you find what works for you!
  • AllTheNoms
    AllTheNoms Posts: 135 Member
    To steal from a well-known motivational speaker, know your WHY. Your Why is what will keep you up at night and get you up in the morning. If the will and the drive are there, you will soon be waking up before your alarm even goes off.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Nothing works. I workout at night.
  • Leyshinka
    Leyshinka Posts: 54 Member
    Just one more tip ;) I found it easier at the beginning to start with only 3 days a week Mon, Wed and Fri. This way I always told myself I can sleep longer tomorrow. Some people find it easier to wake up the same time every day. My body doesn't seem to mind if I wake up at different times as long as I get my 8 hours of rest
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Knowing your week's schedule ahead of time may help. If I know that there is no way I'll be able to get the workout in later that day, it forces me up. For example, Wednesday's I go to bible study/volunteer at my church, which means that if I don't workout before work in the morning, I won't get a workout in at all that day.

I started working out early in the morning to get the shower first. Now, it's because I'm trying to complete a workout dvd series, but I also still want to go to spin class, yoga, and pole fitness which only fit in my schedule certain days/times of the week. Missing a day in the morning from the dvd series, throws off the rest of my schedule because I'm trying to find somewhere else for it to fit in.
  • ciacyrus29
    ciacyrus29 Posts: 109 Member
    "JUNK FOOD YOU'VE CRAVED FOR AN HOUR, OR THE BODY YOU'VE CRAVED FOR A LIFETIME? YOUR DECISION."
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Also, I've found that if I get 8 hours of sleep, it's much easier for me to wake up in the morning. I also use alarm app Sleep Cycle, which tries to wake you up during your lighter sleep cycle, b/c supposedly it will make it easier for you to wake up. I've found that it works pretty well (especially if I get 8 hours of sleep).