Input on reducing sugar?

Options

Replies

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    shejuicy wrote: »
    TBH, she absolutely drowned that meal in syrup though. One fast thing is not to make your foods swim in syrup

Hey, it came with that on it!

When you go out to restaurants you can request syrups and salad dressing on the side that way they don't give you as much. That would cut back tremendously.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

So you don't eat fruits or vegetables?

They said right in their comment that they eat vegetables, and even listed some.

For me, I found gradually reducing carb-laden things and inputting more protein and healthy fats was helpful, and now I am on a low-carb regime. I get lots of veggies - spinach, broccoli, kale, cauliflower, asparagus, etc - small amounts of fruit, and protein and healthy fats. The carb cravings are gone and I'm working on being less reliant on sweeteners, too :smile:
    So then how exactly would someone go about only eating 5g of sugar while eating a decent amount of fruits and vegetables?

you forgot the obligatory smiley face. :)
  • ryanhorn
    ryanhorn Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    From the front page of the MyFitnessPal blog today: http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/15-simple-hacks-for-eating-less-sugar/
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

They said right in their comment that they eat vegetables, and even listed some.

Yes, and one serving of fruit can be more than 5g of sugar...so how?

• jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    my input...cutting sugar is totally unnecessary, unless you have a medical condition that makes you sensitive to sugar.

she is talking about cutting back from what I read. If the pic is what she eats in a day that is probably in the 2-3000 cal range, maybe more, most of it sugar. i would think that is a problem
  • shejuicy
    Options
    jpaulie wrote: »
    my input...cutting sugar is totally unnecessary, unless you have a medical condition that makes you sensitive to sugar.

she is talking about cutting back from what I read. If the pic is what she eats in a day that is probably in the 2-3000 cal range, maybe more, most of it sugar. i would think that is a problem

Nah.. Nowhere near 3000. Sat/Sun I eat about 700-1200 because of my job, but Mon-Fri it's 1500-2000. I'm pretty good with keeping my calories in check, I'm just incredibly unsatisfied with the actual food I'm consuming. I got around to cutting out most saturated fats and preservatives.

But like... I'll go grocery shopping Sunday night and buy fruits and leafy greens and maybe some chicken.. as well as some organic ice cream, chocolates, and fresh cookies ( B) ).

The next Sunday rolls around and I end up tossing most of the non-sweets cause they've gone bad. So I've been trying to implement the habits in THEORY... I just can't follow through in PRACTICE.

And I'd love to hear more on how people who had an addiction to sugar kicked the habit.
  • Th3Ph03n1x
    Th3Ph03n1x Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Well first I highly recommend taking the word can't out of your vocabulary it sends the message that you are powerless.

Question? do you LIKE the fruits and greens you buy? I don't mean 'meh I can eat them'. I mean actually like them enough to look forward to eating them. If you try to replace something you crave with something you tolerate that's going to take a whole lot of will power.

Are there any healthy foods you really like? I would replace a few servings of sugary foods with those and increase until you are where you want to be.
  • iridescentblue
    iridescentblue Posts: 12 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

For me, I found gradually reducing carb-laden things and inputting more protein and healthy fats was helpful, and now I am on a low-carb regime. I get lots of veggies - spinach, broccoli, kale, cauliflower, asparagus, etc - small amounts of fruit, and protein and healthy fats. The carb cravings are gone and I'm working on being less reliant on sweeteners, too :smile:
    So then how exactly would someone go about only eating 5g of sugar while eating a decent amount of fruits and vegetables?

The other person is probably focusing more on vegetables and protein and avoiding fruit, which many people do - I aim for 25g 'net' carbs so I have fruit more often. It depends on the person. Net carbs is the carbs in a serving minus the fibre.

For example, 1/2 cup of raspberries would have 12 g of carbs and 6 g of fibre so '6 net carbs'. How well the fruit is going to fit in will depend on how much sugar and fibre it has. The only vegetables that need to be avoided are the starchy ones like potatoes, etc.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    OP I think you just have to pick ONE thing to remove from your diet per week. You'll slowly ween yourself off of super sugary things. Good luck, Seattle is a super foodie town
  • shejuicy
    Options
    Th3Ph03n1x wrote: »

Question? do you LIKE the fruits and greens you buy? I don't mean 'meh I can eat them'. I mean actually like them enough to look forward to eating them.

Fruits, somewhat. Pineapples, melons, berries. Veggies, no.. I have gone weeks without a serving of veggies or raw fruit or even a decent portion of protein (though when I worked at chipotle I definitely had my 4 oz of steak a day!). I've gotten a bit better at it though.

Ideally, I would like to make a one day meal plan, and repeat that daily to save time.
    Like fruit+granola/ protein shake/ salad - with supplement tablets.
  • shejuicy
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    Is anyone else slightly aroused by those pics?

Very! Needs powdered sugar though :kissing_heart:
  • Th3Ph03n1x
    Th3Ph03n1x Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I don't vary much in my breakfast and lunch for that reason. I have basically two different breakfasts that I eat. for lunch same thing but sometimes I have left overs from dinner. the only thing I try to keep different is dinner. It does take a lot of time in plan and prep if you're eating a lot of different things. I like sweets as much as the next girl but my weakness is salty.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    H_Factor wrote: »
    I'm guessing you mean processed foods and sugars (because there's nothing wrong with eating the natural sugar in fruit). The reason processed foods and sugars create a yearning for more of the crap is because of the chemicals that manufacturers put into these science experiments. They are created so that your body will react and want more (plus cause an insulin spike so the crap is stored as body fat). The good news is that this "dependency" goes away in only a few days if you largely eliminate science experiments from what you eat. From personal experience, my cravings for the junk have largely left me after 3-7 days of eating mostly real food.

Bottom line.....all that crap in science experiments that you either can't pronounce or don't know what it is when you read it in the label of ingredients (if you bother reading the label)....well, that crap is in there for a reason. One reason is to get you addicted to the crap.

LOLwut? :huh:

I just...

I can't...

I...

Even: something I can't.

Natural sugar = always good. Processed sugar = always bad. Right?

Insulin spike = always stored as body fat?

Is there a word for chemical-phobia? (And if there is, do you think you could pronounce it?)

What if food manufacturers are simply trying to make food that tastes good so you're more likely to want to buy it in the future?
  • iridescentblue
    iridescentblue Posts: 12 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

There is no need to assume I don't understand net carbs. She said she eats 5g net carbs. Now you answer this question directly please, how does someone eat a well balanced diet with 5g of net carbs. Think about it please because if you look at your own raspberries, they have 6g net carbs. So you personally would be limited to just under 1/2 of raspberries a day. No other fruits or vegetables. So, how? Please explain it.

And no, potatoes don't need to be avoided.

Actually, they didn't say 5g net carbs. They said 5g sugars. Carbs are not always sugars. 100g of cauliflower only has 1.9g of sugar, for example. Spinach has .4. Avocado has .7. So let's say I have 100g of each in a day of those three and I'm still only at 3.

If they DID Mean 5 net carbs then I can only assume that they eat mostly meat and leafy vegetables. Which is still not 'no vegetables' as you keep stating. Possibly no fruit at the most.

Besides that, I'm not sure why you're asking me about someone else's eating habits. I only attempted to point out that you were saying they don't eat fruits or vegetables when that's patently incorrect. Btw potatoes are very carb heavy, so they don't suit keto at all.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    I'm guessing you mean processed foods and sugars (because there's nothing wrong with eating the natural sugar in fruit). The reason processed foods and sugars create a yearning for more of the crap is because of the chemicals that manufacturers put into these science experiments. They are created so that your body will react and want more (plus cause an insulin spike so the crap is stored as body fat). The good news is that this "dependency" goes away in only a few days if you largely eliminate science experiments from what you eat. From personal experience, my cravings for the junk have largely left me after 3-7 days of eating mostly real food.

Bottom line.....all that crap in science experiments that you either can't pronounce or don't know what it is when you read it in the label of ingredients (if you bother reading the label)....well, that crap is in there for a reason. One reason is to get you addicted to the crap.

I just...

I can't...

I...

Is there a word for chemical-phobia? (And if there is, do you think you could pronounce it?)

What if food manufacturers are simply trying to make food that tastes good so you're more likely to want to buy it in the future?

natural sugar = heaven
    added sugar = hell
    insulin spike = satan ..

got it, get it, good...
  • ndj1979
    Options

There is no need to assume I don't understand net carbs. She said she eats 5g net carbs. Now you answer this question directly please, how does someone eat a well balanced diet with 5g of net carbs. Think about it please because if you look at your own raspberries, they have 6g net carbs. So you personally would be limited to just under 1/2 of raspberries a day. No other fruits or vegetables. So, how? Please explain it.

And no, potatoes don't need to be avoided.

Actually, they didn't say 5g net carbs. They said 5g sugars. Carbs are not always sugars. 100g of cauliflower only has 1.9g of sugar, for example. Spinach has .4. Avocado has .7. So let's say I have 100g of each in a day of those three and I'm still only at 3.

If they DID Mean 5 net carbs then I can only assume that they eat mostly meat and leafy vegetables. Which is still not 'no vegetables' as you keep stating. Possibly no fruit at the most.

Besides that, I'm not sure why you're asking me about someone else's eating habits. I only attempted to point out that you were saying they don't eat fruits or vegetables when that's patently incorrect. Btw potatoes are very carb heavy, so they don't suit keto at all.

you were asked because you chimed in and tried to answer for the other poster...
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »

I just...

I can't...

I...

natural sugar = heaven
    added sugar = hell
    insulin spike = satan ..

got it, get it, good...

You forgot "fake sugar" = armageddon!