My Heart Hurts

Why do I get a stinging pain in my heart and left shoulder after I run :( I thought cardio was good for the heart?
I'm 5'4 and weigh 130lbs. All week I have been running about 1-3 miles a day and eliptical for 30 minutes but just today my heart started to sting really bad. The pain shot down to my elbow of my left arm and I was wondering what was wrong.

Replies

• rahnia
    rahnia Posts: 36 Member
    Go to a doctor...immediately. Hope you feel better.
  • FRiNADA
    FRiNADA Posts: 67
    :'(
  • desika8787
    desika8787 Posts: 99 Member
    edited January 2015
    Hey there.

It is never this easy to "diagnose" from this far. In general, a lot of chest/heart pain is caused by our skeletal muscles and we don't have to worry about it but to strech them after each workout.

But the other side is, I don't know you. My advice as a RN is to look after your GP if this pain occurs again because it could also be affected cardiological such as a light angina pectoris etc.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,359 Member
    Seriously, if you are concerned enough to write about it on a forum you really need to see a doctor.
  • FRiNADA
    hmm i'd love to have insurance right about now :/
    thanks for the advice guys.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    edited January 2015
    My wife had a massive heart attack 4 days ago. She tried to ignore it for 36 hours. The scarring caused by the delay will never heal. This has nothing to do with insurance. Call an ambulance NOW.
  • FRiNADA
    Aren't I too young to have a heart attack? I'm 24!
  • lawlifehanna
    lawlifehanna Posts: 90 Member
    I'm with desika, it's often caused by skeletal muscles. The pain shooting to your elbow could be caused by some muscle imbalances that pinch nerves going to your arm (hello, that's me).

However, it could also be your heart, or a stroke. One sided pain could be a sign of a stroke. Go to the doctor and see what it is. If they tell you it's muscles, then you're fine (except maybe learn something about correct running techniques and start stretching your pectoral muscles).
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,359 Member
    It isn't necessarily a heart attack, it could be anything. Your profile indicates you are a full time student, does your college have a free medical facility?
  • SweeDecadence92
    SweeDecadence92 Posts: 218 Member
    Definately to the doctors with you. No-one on a forum is qualified to diagnose you.

It could just be nothing be you should mess about when it comes to your heart.
  • FRiNADA
    I'm with desika, it's often caused by skeletal muscles. The pain shooting to your elbow could be caused by some muscle imbalances that pinch nerves going to your arm (hello, that's me).

However, it could also be your heart, or a stroke. One sided pain could be a sign of a stroke. Go to the doctor and see what it is. If they tell you it's muscles, then you're fine (except maybe learn something about correct running techniques and start stretching your pectoral muscles).

I feel it best not to jump to conclusions. It's probably the pulled muscle because this has happened to me before and it subsided. I have looked up videos at how to keep your back straight and your shoulders relaxed but when you go for long periods of time it's hard to keep in check on your posture.
  • FRiNADA
    It isn't necessarily a heart attack, it could be anything. Your profile indicates you are a full time student, does your college have a free medical facility?

Yes they do! But school isnt in session yet.
  • FRiNADA
    edited January 2015
    Definately to the doctors with you. No-one on a forum is qualified to diagnose you.

It could just be nothing be you should mess about when it comes to your heart.

I know no one can diagnose me through online, even if they were a nurse/doctor. I just was trying to see if this was normal or not. Which I realize it's not :C
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Doesn't the US have free emergency medical clinics at all?
  • Renee0887
    Renee0887 Posts: 214 Member
    FRiNADA wrote: »
    Aren't I too young to have a heart attack? I'm 24!
    Absolutely not! My ex's college roommate died of a heart attack in his sleep when he was only 28...don't mess around with that!
  • FRiNADA
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Doesn't the US have free emergency medical clinics at all?
    Not unless you've been shot or are actually dying.
  • desika8787
    desika8787 Posts: 99 Member
    edited January 2015
    If you are this afraid due to insurance issues you can call the hotline of your next hospital. There you can talk to the RN/doctor and they can give you further advice. This is what we recommend to people with insecure situations at the hospital where I work. Good luck and get well soon! :smile:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Isn't your health important enough to get yourself checked out?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Wow! I never realised the American system didn't have that kind of safety net at all...but then my knowledge of your system is based on shows like ER I'm afraid

However we may disparage it, I'm thankful for the NHS...yet again!

I'm sure you'll be fine...when can you visit the school medical team?
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Don't fark around with chest pain.

Just don't.

Do whatever you have to do to see a Doc.

Whatever it takes.