My Heart Hurts

Options

Replies

• poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    FRiNADA wrote: »
    Why do I get a stinging pain in my heart and left shoulder after I run :( I thought cardio was good for the heart?
    I'm 5'4 and weigh 130lbs. All week I have been running about 1-3 miles a day and eliptical for 30 minutes but just today my heart started to sting really bad. The pain shot down to my elbow of my left arm and I was wondering what was wrong.
    Go to a dr and request a stress test.

• poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Doesn't the US have free emergency medical clinics at all?
    Not unless you've been shot or are actually dying.
    This is not true at all. Maybe you do not want to go, however, dont mislead people.

• Maitria
    Maitria Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    http://www.sandiegocounty.gov/content/dam/sdc/hhsa/programs/phs/MCFHS/SDKHAN_JobLoss.pdf

Dialing 211 will tell you which ER's in your area have income based fee waivers or sliding scales.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    zacksnana wrote: »

This is nonsense.
    no hospital ER can turn you away.

No but you get a $3000 bill in the mail 30 days later. That is what it cost to find out my grandson merely had the flu and they gave him a Tylenol.

The flu kills, FYI. So good thing he was checked out.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    An urgent care place could be an option. Good luck.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options

They still aren't free. They can't turn you away, but you're still gonna get a bill. If you are completely poor, own no property and have no assets, the hospital will have to eat the bill. If you have any kind of money or property, you're going to have to negotiate a payment plan or they will send your bill to collections. When a friend of mine was in graduate school he ended up with a ruptured appendix. It was tens of thousands of dollars and he had to declare bankruptcy. Sucks, but then again - sometimes it's life or death.

• WanderingBomb
    WanderingBomb Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    US Federal states no one can be denined "emergency care" meaning you can present at any emergency room anytime with ANY type of complaint and the law states that you WILL be seen and treated. The bill however is up to you later on...
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    In America, we just ignore our health problems until we die, that way it doesn't cost anybody anything. That's why we call ourselves "Free".

;)
  • supermb09
    Options
    The bill would be more than $500.00 but if u don't have it u can't pay it. However if you end, u won't have to pay. I would Get the pain cked out by a qualified MD. Life is Good! Oh by the way, I did my first heart transplant this morning after struggling for some time I got it and it worked. Patient and Dr. are doing well.
  • Howdoyoufeeltoday
    Howdoyoufeeltoday Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Do you have anxiety or panic attacks? If so that might be the cause. Or it might just be your muscles getting used to running. Get it checked for sure, but try not to panic. I used to get that too but now I can run 6 miles with no pain. Good luck!! :)
  • Princess4Run
    Princess4Run Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Angina, or chest pain/discomfort typically occurs with exertion (exercise would count), secondary to poor blood flow to the heart. It can progress to unstable angina, which is chest pain at rest- a much worse scenario and most likely secondary to some serious blockage or vasospasms in heart vessels. Chest pain can be a musculoskeletal problem, especially if pain intensifies with breathing, which you have. You need to have this checked out for sure. If you have stable angina a simple ECG won't be enough to detect a problem unless you are having chest pain right then and there, but a stress test will. I wish you best of luck and I hope it's nothing serious. Did you take any medicine for pain?
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I am sorry but some of the advice in this thread is absolutely absurd and dangerous. If you are having new onset chest pain, regardless of age, you NEED emergency medical attention. Not tomorrow, not next week, now.

As a 24 y/o female, with new onset chest pain, there are a few life threatening emergencies that it could be. Heart attack is only one. On birth control? Smoke? It could be a pulmonary embolism. These are two conditions that can cause sudden DEATH.

I have to say I'm done with this thread. I am starting to get a headache from the face palming at posts (exaggeration but you get the point).
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »

They still aren't free. They can't turn you away, but you're still gonna get a bill. If you are completely poor, own no property and have no assets, the hospital will have to eat the bill. If you have any kind of money or property, you're going to have to negotiate a payment plan or they will send your bill to collections. When a friend of mine was in graduate school he ended up with a ruptured appendix. It was tens of thousands of dollars and he had to declare bankruptcy. Sucks, but then again - sometimes it's life or death.

I do not mean to pick on this post, but after reading through this thread I just have to respond. Healthcare is not free, nor should it be. I don't care what country you live in. Even if healthcare is nationalized, SOMEONE is paying for it. The money is coming from somewhere.

I am American. I have heard awful stories relating to our healthcare system, and I won't argue there is truth to much of it and that there isn't room for improvement. But I have heard horror stories from nationalized healthcare (long waiting lists, etc) that are equally true. It is a complex issue.

I do know that in the US people think nothing of spending a few hundred bucks every month on cable and cell phones and special ESPN packages. Healthcare? Nah, that's a right. Shouldn't have to pay for that. But the money has to come from somewhere.

• Serenstar75
    Serenstar75 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    You could also just go to Urgent care. It's a lot cheaper than the emergency room by FAR. I've gone to the ER for a severe migraine when I had no insurance. They do have paperwork you can fill out while there to greatly reduce the medical bill as well.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I had a close friend who died at 27 from a heart attack; it happens.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »
    jenilla1 wrote: »

I do not mean to pick on this post, but after reading through this thread I just have to respond. Healthcare is not free, nor should it be. I don't care what country you live in. Even if healthcare is nationalized, SOMEONE is paying for it. The money is coming from somewhere.

I am American. I have heard awful stories relating to our healthcare system, and I won't argue there is truth to much of it and that there isn't room for improvement. But I have heard horror stories from nationalized healthcare (long waiting lists, etc) that are equally true. It is a complex issue.

I do know that in the US people think nothing of spending a few hundred bucks every month on cable and cell phones and special ESPN packages. Healthcare? Nah, that's a right. Shouldn't have to pay for that. But the money has to come from somewhere.

Of course all healthcare is paid for - the NHS is paid for through taxation (national insurance contributions) and yes it has many problems

But at point of need we have free general practitioner services (Primary Care Physicians) who refer to hospitals for free treatment, our A&E (ER) and Ambulance and hospital care is free and never turns anyone away. Our media is full of stories of bed blockers (people who stay too long in hospitals), drunks filling A&E and issues associated with reduced budgets and bad management .. but walk into any A&E or call an ambulance with heart problems and you would be seen. After being triaged and you may have to wait a few hours but there is no bill, so no discincentive to seek care and it's equitable across all social / economic strata.

Some of us have private healthcare on top ... ours is through my husband's work (I work in the State Sector so no private benefits), we pay about £240 per month for a family of 4 ($360 out of gross salary, so prior to tax) for the privilege of skipping queues to see consultants, dropping the wait from weeks / months to a couple of days on a convenient appointment basis .. but then, if treatment is required and not covered entirely by our private healthcare the National Health Service takes over and again we're back to free at point of need. It's not fair but it happens.

We slag off our healthcare a lot, this thread reminds me to feel grateful
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    OP, go see a doctor. There is zero reason for anyone in the US to not have health insurance today.if you don't, it's because it isn't important to you. Many young people still wont sign up because of the hassle even though in most cases it's free. Yes, healthcare in the US can be expensive, it's also the best in the world.
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Several things you can do here.

One is to sign up for healthcare. Since you are having an ongoing health issue, you need to get yourself some coverage.
    https://www.healthcare.gov/

Stop exercising until you figure out what is going on.

Go to an ER.

More than likely it is muscular however that is why you need to get some healthcare coverage and pinpoint your problem.