My Heart Hurts

Options

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    als13071 wrote: »
    FRiNADA wrote: »
    Why do I get a stinging pain in my heart and left shoulder after I run :( I thought cardio was good for the heart?
    I'm 5'4 and weigh 130lbs. All week I have been running about 1-3 miles a day and eliptical for 30 minutes but just today my heart started to sting really bad. The pain shot down to my elbow of my left arm and I was wondering what was wrong.

What is your diet like? I have found for muscular and nerve issues if this might be the case... and also for the heart... magnesium is key. You can research
    Why do I get a stinging pain in my heart and left shoulder after I run :( I thought cardio was good for the heart?
    I'm 5'4 and weigh 130lbs. All week I have been running about 1-3 miles a day and eliptical for 30 minutes but just today my heart started to sting really bad. The pain shot down to my elbow of my left arm and I was wondering what was wrong.

If your not going to get medical attention (which isnt always helpful anyways i know from experience) maybe consider researching magnesium deficiencies. This would have direct effect on your muscles and your heart. How bad is this sting? Is it excruciating pain, breathtaking, a burn, or just tingling?

I have gerd myself and when i exercize it causes me to get burning in my back, arms, and left of my chest but acid reflux is different in everyone. Sometimes though my acid reflux causes tingling rather than burning... or a stinging sensation. Does it happen every time? Did you do something different before your routine?

No no no no! Please do not try an self diagnose a defiency in ANYTHING.
  • FRiNADA
    FRiNADA Posts: 67
    Options
    als13071 wrote: »

What is your diet like? I have found for muscular and nerve issues if this might be the case... and also for the heart... magnesium is key. You can research

If your not going to get medical attention (which isnt always helpful anyways i know from experience) maybe consider researching magnesium deficiencies. This would have direct effect on your muscles and your heart. How bad is this sting? Is it excruciating pain, breathtaking, a burn, or just tingling?

I have gerd myself and when i exercize it causes me to get burning in my back, arms, and left of my chest but acid reflux is different in everyone. Sometimes though my acid reflux causes tingling rather than burning... or a stinging sensation. Does it happen every time? Did you do something different before your routine?

I'm not sure if I'm getting magnesium in my diet which is probably an indicator that I most likely don't. And no I did the same routine I've been doing for about 3 months now and it just began to hurt. It's only done this two other times since I began exercising daily.

It's a strong stinging pain, hurts worse when I breathe out or laugh. Probably like a 7/10. Pain subsided after 2 1/2 hours after workout.

I thought it might've been heartburn since I do struggle with that as well but I took medicine and the pain stayed the same. I called a certified nurse, she said I might have Angina and to make an appointment. She also said if the pain didn't go away to go to emergency. But it did so I'm waiting until Tuesday to find out what's wrong :/

• DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    My health is important but I don't want to take the chance that everything might be ok and be sitting with a $500 bill in my pocket on the way out.

Frinada, there are free health clinics in most cities in the United States (I don't know about small towns).

Call your local government, specifically the branch that handles welfare checks and food stamps, and ask them for the number to the free health clinic.
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    While you're waiting around to find out if the pain subsides, get off the MFP forums and onto the site to sign up for Obamacare in California. Then you won't have to go through this type of situation again. Good luck and I hope you're just fine!
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    rahnia wrote: »
    Go to a doctor...immediately. Hope you feel better.

Yes, never play around with heart pains (says the person that doesn't go to the doctor as often as they should, but I definitely do when the heart is involved).

Don't be afraid of the bill in this case. The one problem you should always go to the doctor for is heart pains.

I have twice now. The first time, it turned out to be a pulled muscle. The second time, it was a bit more serious but didn't turn out to be heart disease or anything. Nevertheless, had it, I would have known. Which is the important part.

In the meantime, go easy on the exercise. Maybe walk instead of run.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I got a nurse to talk to and she told me that it sounds like I have angina. She was more concerned that it was lasting for so long and if I didn't feel it was an emergency to set up an appointment with a doctor at their hospital. I told her I didn't have health insurance but she said that they would help me sign up for "Medicare" which will cover my visit. So I set up an appointment with a doc and will see what happens. She said if the pain didn't subside in another hour or so to go to ER

Hope all turns out okay.
  • missbirrell
    Options
    I also get chest pain quite often, which started when I was 16. I have underlying conditions that cause it, including a heart problem. It could be a pulled muscle, yes, but it could also be indicative of a serious underlying condition. See a doctor.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I would rather spend the money on a hospital bill and have peace of mind then give myself anxiety. From my experience working in the health care field cardiac and pulmonary issues get sent to the front of the line to be seen. Health care is offered to everyone in the States, get on your states Obamacare website and sign up.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Doesn't the US have free emergency medical clinics at all?

Nope. A hospital emergency room is required to treat walk-in cases but they can and will bill you for it, can garnish your wages and foreclose on your house if necessary. Other places often require you to show an ability to pay up front.

For those of you in other countries with nationally supported health care, the situation in the US is as dire and unfair as you have heard. We pay much more per capita than other countries for less effective health care and have a much larger percentage of our population without access to care or insurance. A large portion of our population can neither afford insurance nor qualify for state-supported medical care. We do, however, have a booming insurance industry and totally unregulated pharmaceutical costs.

We, as a country, are also in denial about these facts because we are convinced we are better than everyone else in everything. As are the French, but they have national health care.

Hubby and I do have good health insurance and access to fine care but our insurance bill is $1800/month plus deductibles and co-pays.

• 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    It is horrible. I've been buying my own insurance for a number of years now and that has been my main driver for getting and staying healthy. The worst feeling I ever had was getting rejected by multiple insurance companies even though I never required extensive treatment. People don't know what is about to hit them.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Aren't I too young to have a heart attack? I'm 24!

There's no such thing as being too young to have a heart attack.

Your symptoms are alarming and I suggest you go to the ER now.
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Ok listen. If you're worried about your HEALTH, get checked out. If you're worried about your finances, talk to the patient rep when you get discharged. E V E R Y single hospital in the U. S. is required to help ANYONE who shows up at their door. Worry about the MONEY when you know you're OKAY! Now GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    You should call the doctor.

I didn't read the whole thread. Heart attacks at 24 are pretty freaking uncommon. It generally takes decades to build up the kind of stuff that leads to them.

But when they happen, it's often worse, because you haven't had time to develop enough blood vessels to feed the whole heart in the way older people have.

So, go in, get checked. It's probably nothing, but could be something and you don't want to screw around with your heart.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I tried calling the hospital but they asked me for my insurance ID card and I didn't have one so she told me to call my doctor or my insurance provider. :/
    It's still stinging but I don't want to go for nothing. I'll just wait for it to go away and take it easy

Call a different hospital? I peeked at your profile, and based on your location there's probably more than one hospital. Keep trying different hospitals and health organizations until one of them gives you advice over the phone without insurance?

I'm not an American, but surely there's some organization in the country that offers free health advice? A health hotline or something? This would be the time to google every free resource available to you.

No actual doctor or nurse is going to give health info over the phone because it cannot be done. They might tell you what the normal range for troponins are, if you asked, but if you say, "Do you think I'm having a heart attack?", they're going to say, "I have no clue. You need to come in and be seen."

You cannot be diagnosed online or over the phone. Anyone who diagnoses you online or over the phone is a ding-dong, not a doctor. See a doctor.

You have to be seen.

If you don't have insurance, they have social workers to help with that. It's the biggest part of a hospital social worker's job, getting people covered and filling out the forms and such.
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    OP a quickly EKG will tell if anything is wrong with your heart! don't know the cost in the U.S but it's not suppose to be too expensive since it's a basic test. hope everything turns to be ok
  • emmoen
    emmoen Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    It could be angina. does the pain stop after some rest.
    But even if so you need to see a doctor and get a stress test to verify. It can lead to heart attack
  • zacksnana
    zacksnana Posts: 3,230 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Doesn't the US have free emergency medical clinics at all?
    Not unless you've been shot or are actually dying.

This is nonsense.
    no hospital ER can turn you away.

No but you get a $3000 bill in the mail 30 days later. That is what it cost to find out my grandson merely had the flu and they gave him a Tylenol.
  • kim_m_kk
    kim_m_kk Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Go to a care now or something like that. Much cheaper than the er. They can check things out and advise you