My Heart Hurts

Replies

• Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Hope you are ok and manage to get sorted.
  • FRiNADA
    FRiNADA Posts: 67
    FRiNADA wrote: »
    Thanks for the help everyone! I'll try to keep calling different places.
    elphie754 wrote: »
    They Won't turn you away but if you'll be charged based off what insurance you have.
    See what I mean, I know many Many MANY people who will ignore health problems because of what the bills will end up as.

Frinada a friend+recently told me that when she "had" to take her kid to the hospital ER last year due to a fall at Target requiring+stitches, the hospital worked with her afterwards regarding the bill.

You do mention that you've had similar pain before and it passed? Why not start by calling thw hospital+as+was suggested and see where that leads?
    I tried calling the hospital but they asked me for my insurance ID card and I didn't have one so she told me to call my doctor or my insurance provider. :/
    It's still stinging but I don't want to go for nothing. I'll just wait for it to go away and take it easy

No offense but BS. They will not give advice over the phone, regardless of insurance.
    The first place I called denied me because i wasn't a part of their hospital and since I didn't have the insurance to sign up she told me to call some place else, which I did and received help. Thank you SHARP!
  • FRiNADA
    999tigger wrote: »
    I got a nurse to talk to and she told me that it sounds like I have angina. She was more concerned that it was lasting for so long and if I didn't feel it was an emergency to set up an appointment with a doctor at their hospital. I told her I didn't have health insurance but she said that they would help me sign up for "Medicare" which will cover my visit. So I set up an appointment with a doc and will see what happens. She said if the pain didn't subside in another hour or so to go to ER

Good job in getting this sorted out. It must suck to always have to worry about the cost of medical care.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Angina/Pages/Symptoms.aspx
    http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Angina/Pages/Treatment.aspx

Thanks for these helpful links. These sound sooooo similar to what I have experienced in the past!
    My heart is feeling better it's not a stabbing pain anymore just a dull ache. I'll go to the doctor and get treatment. So lucky you guys were online to help out and support :)
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    There are so many walk in clinics available now for you to get diagnostic checkups at a reasonable price.

I can't say the exact same thing has happened to be but in the beginning I knew I was pushing myself a little bit too hard when I felt that kind of pain in those spots. I had to drop my heart rate, build my base and work from there.
  • FRiNADA
    There are so many walk in clinics available now for you to get diagnostic checkups at a reasonable price.

I can't say the exact same thing has happened to be but in the beginning I knew I was pushing myself a little bit too hard when I felt that kind of pain in those spots. I had to drop my heart rate, build my base and work from there.
    That sounds like a good idea! I have been pushing myself harder each day like increasing speed/resistance etc. I should probably work at a more even pace until I feel comfortable to move on.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Doesn't the US have free emergency medical clinics at all?

laughssssssssssss
  • 20yearsyounger
    You should still get some type of check up though. Have you had your blood pressure checked at least? You can do that at a pharmacy machine. My problems were first discovered at 19 when doing a routine checkup to play college sports. It's manageable. But the lazier and fatter I got, the bigger the impact it had on me.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Doesn't the US have free emergency medical clinics at all?

No, sadly not. Although many places offer services on a sliding scale.

What we do have though is the EMTALA (emergency medical treatment and labor act) law. Basically, if you walk into an emergency room, they must provide stabilizing treatment for life threatening conditions for you (or mother and unborn child) regardless of your ability to pay. Many hospitals will work out payment plans/sliding scale payment options. Some hospitals are considered "non-profit" city hospitals. Those hospitals typically just "eat" the bill because they receive funding. Other hospitals are privately owned, but still will work something out.

If you call 911, the ambulance cannot deny services because you have no insurance. Some states do have programs where if the paramedic feels it is not an emergency, they will make a clinic appt for you instead of bring you to the ER. But I believe only California and North Carolina have that program.

Either way- chest pain that could be cardiac in nature IS a medical emergency. If you think there is the slightest chance it is your heart, pick up a phone and dial 911. As they say with heart attacks- time is muscle. The more time you let pass, the more tissue damage is done and can be irreversible. Remember, females sometimes have different symptoms than the classical chest pain.

Sorry. I know that was long. Either way, I hope you feel better.
  • FRiNADA
    You should still get some type of check up though. Have you had your blood pressure checked at least? You can do that at a pharmacy machine. My problems were first discovered at 19 when doing a routine checkup to play college sports. It's manageable. But the lazier and fatter I got, the bigger the impact it had on me.

I haven't checked my blood pressure recently but my resting heart rate is 55bpm. Which I think is pretty good. I set up an appointment and hope all is well and I just pulled a muscle or something. Better safe then sorry :/

• elphie754

I haven't checked my blood pressure recently but my resting heart rate is 55bpm. Which I think is pretty good. I set up an appointment and hope all is well and I just pulled a muscle or something. Better safe then sorry :/

Most cvs, riteaids and Walgreens have in store bp machines. It is usually by the pharmacy. Costs absolutely nothing and you use it yourself. They are not always precise but it will give you an idea if high/low/normal. I just don't reccomend buying an automated cuff- they are notoriously inacurate.

A resting heart rate of 55 can be both good and bad. If you are really athletic, your heart rate tends to be lower. It is only really an issue if you have symptoms with the low heart rate. By symptoms I mean- dizzy, pale, weak, fainting, etc. I tend to have a low blood pressure and borderline low heart rate, thank you genetics, but feel perfectly fine. I startled my MD the first time though lol.
  • 20yearsyounger
    Yup, my resting heart rate is 50bpm. It's what is happening when my heart is pumping blood more so than when it is at rest. The goal here isn't to scare you. It looks like you have a plan to look into it and as you said be safer versus sorrier. If something is wrong, it's manageable. If you don't take care of it though, then youth may not help you as much.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    edited January 2015
    My health is important but I don't want to take the chance that everything might be ok and be sitting with a $500 bill in my pocket on the way out.

No ... it's much better to take a chance on permanent death, right?

<boggle>

This isn't a hang nail or sprained ankle.

Chest pain needs checked out every time.

Every. Time.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Emergency medical laws in the US mean that the ER has to treat you, it does NOT say that that treatment will be paid for. People can and are billed into bankruptcy for seeking treatment. Many hospitals will "work with you" on setting up a payment plan. (Yeay for debt, right) but an actual forgiveness or reduction of the cost is entirely up to the hospital, and with for-profit hospital chains on the rise, many billing coordinators are being urged to extract every penny because it's about serving shareholders, not patients.

In an ideal world, OP could have gotten immediate attention. In this one, she wanted to consisted whether her concern was just hypochondria or an Immediate Emergency. I'm sorry, OP, it sucks.

Call your school's student affairs dean or the health center, if it's staffed during break. Ask about coverage during this period and for ailments that require outside consultation. I know my college was set up for mundane college student complaints...flu, STIs, athletic injuries...and referred more complex cases to the local hospital, covered by the health plan. So, it's possible your health plan at school might pay your hospital bill, if you file your claim appropriately. When does session start? I know that the health center sometimes opens before classes start if athletes are back and training. Our ski teams always came back New Year's Day, so the health center opened then, even though classes didn't start until the next week.
  • elphie754
    EWJLang wrote: »
    Emergency medical laws in the US mean that the ER has to treat you, it does NOT say that that treatment will be paid for. People can and are billed into bankruptcy for seeking treatment. Many hospitals will "work with you" on setting up a payment plan. (Yeay for debt, right) but an actual forgiveness or reduction of the cost is entirely up to the hospital, and with for-profit hospital chains on the rise, many billing coordinators are being urged to extract every penny because it's about serving shareholders, not patients.

In an ideal world, OP could have gotten immediate attention. In this one, she wanted to consisted whether her concern was just hypochondria or an Immediate Emergency. I'm sorry, OP, it sucks.

Call your school's student affairs dean or the health center, if it's staffed during break. Ask about coverage during this period and for ailments that require outside consultation. I know my college was set up for mundane college student complaints...flu, STIs, athletic injuries...and referred more complex cases to the local hospital, covered by the health plan. So, it's possible your health plan at school might pay your hospital bill, if you file your claim appropriately. When does session start? I know that the health center sometimes opens before classes start if athletes are back and training. Our ski teams always came back New Year's Day, so the health center opened then, even though classes didn't start until the next week.

You know what else costs a lot of money? Funerals and burial arrangements.

If you have chest pain and there is any question in your mind that it may be cardiac, you need to call 911. End of story. I'd say go to an ER, but unless you know the hospital has cardiac cath services, you are better off calling an ambulance.

A student health center is NOT equipped to handle life threatening emergencies. It is not a simple vs complex type thing, it is a you can die if it is cardiac type thing. If you walked into a student health center with chest pain you can bet they will be calling for an ambulance.

Telling someone with chest pain to wait is dangerous advice. If there is a blockage, the longer you wait, the more damage is done.

Please never play around with chest pain. Get it checked out ASAP.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    elphie754 wrote: »
    EWJLang wrote: »

You know what else costs a lot of money? Funerals and burial arrangements.

If you have chest pain and there is any question in your mind that it may be cardiac, you need to call 911. End of story. I'd say go to an ER, but unless you know the hospital has cardiac cath services, you are better off calling an ambulance.

A student health center is NOT equipped to handle life threatening emergencies. It is not a simple vs complex type thing, it is a you can die if it is cardiac type thing. If you walked into a student health center with chest pain you can bet they will be calling for an ambulance.

Telling someone with chest pain to wait is dangerous advice. If there is a blockage, the longer you wait, the more damage is done.

Please never play around with chest pain. Get it checked out ASAP.

I agree with you 100% but OP is obviously going down the 'I'm fine, I'll ignore it till I drop down dead' route, which is much cheaper for her!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited January 2015
    hmm i'd love to have insurance right about now :/
    thanks for the advice guys.

According to your profile you're 24, a student, in California. I'd be willing to bet you'd qualify for free or almost free insurance under the new law. My family member did, he's also 20something, a student, and poor.

Regardless, best of luck with your health.
  • FRiNADA

According to your profile you're 24, a student, in California. I'd be willing to bet you'd qualify for free or almost free insurance under the new law. My family member did, he's also 20something, a student, and poor.

Yes I set up an appointment with a doctor to get my heart checked then the nurse told me that they have services to help sign up for free insurance. It might not be good insurance but it's something. The heart pain is gone for now but it's not the first time I've felt this and would like to get it checked out sooner than later.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member

Yes I set up an appointment with a doctor to get my heart checked then the nurse told me that they have services to help sign up for free insurance. It might not be good insurance but it's something. The heart pain is gone for now but it's not the first time I've felt this and would like to get it checked out sooner than later.
    If you google california health insurance exchange you can sign up for yours. You'll know right away if it would cost anything.
  • FRiNADA
    Oh really? Thanks for the tip! I'll check it out!
  • als13071
    als13071 Posts: 33 Member
    Why do I get a stinging pain in my heart and left shoulder after I run :( I thought cardio was good for the heart?
    I'm 5'4 and weigh 130lbs. All week I have been running about 1-3 miles a day and eliptical for 30 minutes but just today my heart started to sting really bad. The pain shot down to my elbow of my left arm and I was wondering what was wrong.

What is your diet like? I have found for muscular and nerve issues if this might be the case... and also for the heart... magnesium is key. You can research
    Why do I get a stinging pain in my heart and left shoulder after I run :( I thought cardio was good for the heart?
    I'm 5'4 and weigh 130lbs. All week I have been running about 1-3 miles a day and eliptical for 30 minutes but just today my heart started to sting really bad. The pain shot down to my elbow of my left arm and I was wondering what was wrong.

If your not going to get medical attention (which isnt always helpful anyways i know from experience) maybe consider researching magnesium deficiencies. This would have direct effect on your muscles and your heart. How bad is this sting? Is it excruciating pain, breathtaking, a burn, or just tingling?

I have gerd myself and when i exercize it causes me to get burning in my back, arms, and left of my chest but acid reflux is different in everyone. Sometimes though my acid reflux causes tingling rather than burning... or a stinging sensation. Does it happen every time? Did you do something different before your routine?