My Heart Hurts

Replies

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    In America, we just ignore our health problems until we die, that way it doesn't cost anybody anything. That's why we call ourselves "Free".
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    edited January 2015
    FRiNADA wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Doesn't the US have free emergency medical clinics at all?
    Not unless you've been shot or are actually dying.

This is nonsense.
    no hospital ER can turn you away.
  • FRiNADA
    FRiNADA Posts: 67
    They Won't turn you away but if you'll be charged based off what insurance you have.
  • FRiNADA
    desika8787 wrote: »
    If you are this afraid due to insurance issues you can call the hotline of your next hospital. There you can talk to the RN/doctor and they can give you further advice. This is what we recommend to people with insecure situations at the hospital where I work. Good luck and get well soon! :smile:
    They said it was for members of the health care only and to contact my own doctor or hospital :(

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    They Won't turn you away but if you'll be charged based off what insurance you have.
    See what I mean, I know many Many MANY people who will ignore health problems because of what the bills will end up as.

Frinada a friend+recently told me that when she "had" to take her kid to the hospital ER last year due to a fall at Target requiring+stitches, the hospital worked with her afterwards regarding the bill.

You do mention that you've had similar pain before and it passed? Why not start by calling thw hospital+as+was suggested and see where that leads?
  • lawlifehanna
    lawlifehanna Posts: 90 Member

I feel it best not to jump to conclusions. It's probably the pulled muscle because this has happened to me before and it subsided. I have looked up videos at how to keep your back straight and your shoulders relaxed but when you go for long periods of time it's hard to keep in check on your posture.

Yup, jumping to conclusions isn't the best way to go, especially since none of us know you, see how you run, or have info on your medical history. I'm just saying get it checked out as soon as possible (when does your school go back to session? tomorrow?), and if it's in fact muscle based, see how you can take care of those muscles better so this doesn't happen again.
  • FRiNADA
    See what I mean, I know many Many MANY people who will ignore health problems because of what the bills will end up as.

Frinada a friend+recently told me that when she "had" to take her kid to the hospital ER last year due to a fall at Target requiring+stitches, the hospital worked with her afterwards regarding the bill.

You do mention that you've had similar pain before and it passed? Why not start by calling thw hospital+as+was suggested and see where that leads?
    I tried calling the hospital but they asked me for my insurance ID card and I didn't have one so she told me to call my doctor or my insurance provider. :/
    It's still stinging but I don't want to go for nothing. I'll just wait for it to go away and take it easy
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    edited January 2015

This is nonsense.

Yep. This is true. Good friend of mine had to visit the ER a couple years ago. Had issues breathing. Found out that he had multiple blood clots in one of his legs, lungs and 1 that was on it's way to his heart. He was resistant at first because of no medical insurance as well but I made him go. Doctors said it saved his life. One of those clots would have eventually been carried into his heart and, well, game over. He spent a little over a month recovering and the hospitals worked up a payment plan with him when it came to the bills which he qualified for a discount through their charity programs.
  • desika8787
    desika8787 Posts: 99 Member
    edited January 2015

But even in my country you have to pay a part of the bill even every single citizen has to have an insurance in Switzerland.

But as I said, call your doctor then or who is in charge for him/her - he will tell you if your symptoms have to be shown to an ER or if it's possible to see your doc at university on Monday...
  • FRiNADA
    My health is important but I don't want to take the chance that everything might be ok and be sitting with a $500 bill in my pocket on the way out.
  • desika8787
    desika8787 Posts: 99 Member
    My health is important but I don't want to take the chance that everything might be ok and be sitting with a $500 bill in my pocket on the way out.

I do understand you... But better to be healthy and with -500 than vice verca... Take care :smile:
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Why did you post?
  • lawlifehanna
    lawlifehanna Posts: 90 Member
    I tried calling the hospital but they asked me for my insurance ID card and I didn't have one so she told me to call my doctor or my insurance provider. :/
    It's still stinging but I don't want to go for nothing. I'll just wait for it to go away and take it easy

Call a different hospital? I peeked at your profile, and based on your location there's probably more than one hospital. Keep trying different hospitals and health organizations until one of them gives you advice over the phone without insurance?

I'm not an American, but surely there's some organization in the country that offers free health advice? A health hotline or something? This would be the time to google every free resource available to you.
  • FRiNADA
    Why did you post?
    I was curious if this was a common occurrence and if I was just over reacting
  • FRiNADA
    Thanks for the help everyone! I'll try to keep calling different places.
  • FRiNADA
    I got a nurse to talk to and she told me that it sounds like I have angina. She was more concerned that it was lasting for so long and if I didn't feel it was an emergency to set up an appointment with a doctor at their hospital. I told her I didn't have health insurance but she said that they would help me sign up for "Medicare" which will cover my visit. So I set up an appointment with a doc and will see what happens. She said if the pain didn't subside in another hour or so to go to ER
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Aren't I too young to have a heart attack? I'm 24!

No. While rare, it is still possible.

This is nonsense.

This. EMTALA states you are entitled to emergency treatment regardless of ability to pay.

• elphie754

Because hospitals/ERs will NOT give medical advice over the phone. They will tell you to come in/call 911.
  • elphie754

No offense but BS. They will not give advice over the phone, regardless of insurance.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    I got a nurse to talk to and she told me that it sounds like I have angina. She was more concerned that it was lasting for so long and if I didn't feel it was an emergency to set up an appointment with a doctor at their hospital. I told her I didn't have health insurance but she said that they would help me sign up for "Medicare" which will cover my visit. So I set up an appointment with a doc and will see what happens. She said if the pain didn't subside in another hour or so to go to ER

Good job in getting this sorted out. It must suck to always have to worry about the cost of medical care.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Angina/Pages/Symptoms.aspx
    http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Angina/Pages/Treatment.aspx