My Heart Hurts

Options

Replies

• acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    I am sorry but some of the advice in this thread is absolutely absurd and dangerous. If you are having new onset chest pain, regardless of age, you NEED emergency medical attention. Not tomorrow, not next week, now.

As a 24 y/o female, with new onset chest pain, there are a few life threatening emergencies that it could be. Heart attack is only one. On birth control? Smoke? It could be a pulmonary embolism. These are two conditions that can cause sudden DEATH.

I have to say I'm done with this thread. I am starting to get a headache from the face palming at posts (exaggeration but you get the point).

Ok so on this note - when I was 16 I was a really good athlete and was super involved in 3 or 4 sports throughout the year however one day when I was laying down I couldn't get a full breath in without causing a lot of pain across my chest. I had just gotten over a really bad chest cold so I thought maybe some still left, and left it for a couple days. It didn't get better at all! So my parents took me to the ER because not being able to breath and pain while breathing for someone who was 16 is not normal. They did a didimer test, which basically tests how thick your blood is and I found out that my blood was way thicker than normal. I had a blood deficiency where my blood will clot but my body doesn't break down those clots like everyone else's does and I ended up with 2 pulmonary embolisms in 2 weeks time. They probably started in my legs but moved elsewhere. No one knows why they didn't happen sooner but the point is that when things like this happen it's dangerous so whenever you feel like something is wrong, and you know your body best . . . you need to see a doctor, regardless of cost.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Well you can read in my profile about what waiting until I got better did for me... damn near died.. and not figuratively speaking...

Yup, I got bills - BIG BIG BIG ones... Yes I had insurance (great insurance)... totals billed to insurance were in excess of $160,000 and my out of pocket capped at $5000 so I got lucky...

Hospitals WILL work with you on payment plans... I have to set another one up today that reminded me.. don't wait and don't "overlook" things..

I hope you went to doc and are OK...
  • wesley58
    wesley58 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    If you know of a drugstore, that can take your blood pressure, you should start with that, see what your blood pressure, if it is normal that would take away a bit of the worry. Part of the pain could be the stress of the pain and the potential bill at the hospital. I am type 2 diabetic, so quite often get chest pains when exercising. I hope everything goes good for you, and it is just a strained muscle
  • acorsaut89
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Dnarules wrote: »
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    FRiNADA wrote: »
    Doesn't the US have free emergency medical clinics at all?
    Not unless you've been shot or are actually dying.

They still aren't free. They can't turn you away, but you're still gonna get a bill. If you are completely poor, own no property and have no assets, the hospital will have to eat the bill. If you have any kind of money or property, you're going to have to negotiate a payment plan or they will send your bill to collections. When a friend of mine was in graduate school he ended up with a ruptured appendix. It was tens of thousands of dollars and he had to declare bankruptcy. Sucks, but then again - sometimes it's life or death.

I do not mean to pick on this post, but after reading through this thread I just have to respond. Healthcare is not free, nor should it be. I don't care what country you live in. Even if healthcare is nationalized, SOMEONE is paying for it. The money is coming from somewhere.

I am American. I have heard awful stories relating to our healthcare system, and I won't argue there is truth to much of it and that there isn't room for improvement. But I have heard horror stories from nationalized healthcare (long waiting lists, etc) that are equally true. It is a complex issue.

I do know that in the US people think nothing of spending a few hundred bucks every month on cable and cell phones and special ESPN packages. Healthcare? Nah, that's a right. Shouldn't have to pay for that. But the money has to come from somewhere.

Of course all healthcare is paid for - the NHS is paid for through taxation (national insurance contributions) and yes it has many problems

But at point of need we have free general practitioner services (Primary Care Physicians) who refer to hospitals for free treatment, our A&E (ER) and Ambulance and hospital care is free and never turns anyone away. Our media is full of stories of bed blockers (people who stay too long in hospitals), drunks filling A&E and issues associated with reduced budgets and bad management .. but walk into any A&E or call an ambulance with heart problems and you would be seen. After being triaged and you may have to wait a few hours but there is no bill, so no discincentive to seek care and it's equitable across all social / economic strata.

Some of us have private healthcare on top ... ours is through my husband's work (I work in the State Sector so no private benefits), we pay about £240 per month for a family of 4 ($360 out of gross salary, so prior to tax) for the privilege of skipping queues to see consultants, dropping the wait from weeks / months to a couple of days on a convenient appointment basis .. but then, if treatment is required and not covered entirely by our private healthcare the National Health Service takes over and again we're back to free at point of need. It's not fair but it happens.

We slag off our healthcare a lot, this thread reminds me to feel grateful

its not free…

your government taxes successfully individuals and makes them pay for healthcare for the less successful…so they are subsidizing care through taxation and redistribution of wealth…

But when it comes down to it, I don't ever have to question whether I'm going to the ER or not . . . I just go. I think in situations like this (and I'm in a fairly high tax bracket because I make good money) I'm ok with being taxed so I can go and get help I need when I need it without worrying about how I'm going to pay a $500 bill if it turns out I'm ok.

Granted, some health care dollars are wasted but I like universal health care and I'm ok with paying a little higher taxes to know that me and my family can go see a doctor without having the added worry of how am I going to pay for this?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Why do I get a stinging pain in my heart and left shoulder after I run :( I thought cardio was good for the heart?
    I'm 5'4 and weigh 130lbs. All week I have been running about 1-3 miles a day and eliptical for 30 minutes but just today my heart started to sting really bad. The pain shot down to my elbow of my left arm and I was wondering what was wrong.

I just saw this. LOL

OP still on this side of the earth, or pushing up daisies?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    acorsaut89 wrote: »

They still aren't free. They can't turn you away, but you're still gonna get a bill. If you are completely poor, own no property and have no assets, the hospital will have to eat the bill. If you have any kind of money or property, you're going to have to negotiate a payment plan or they will send your bill to collections. When a friend of mine was in graduate school he ended up with a ruptured appendix. It was tens of thousands of dollars and he had to declare bankruptcy. Sucks, but then again - sometimes it's life or death.

I do not mean to pick on this post, but after reading through this thread I just have to respond. Healthcare is not free, nor should it be. I don't care what country you live in. Even if healthcare is nationalized, SOMEONE is paying for it. The money is coming from somewhere.

I am American. I have heard awful stories relating to our healthcare system, and I won't argue there is truth to much of it and that there isn't room for improvement. But I have heard horror stories from nationalized healthcare (long waiting lists, etc) that are equally true. It is a complex issue.

I do know that in the US people think nothing of spending a few hundred bucks every month on cable and cell phones and special ESPN packages. Healthcare? Nah, that's a right. Shouldn't have to pay for that. But the money has to come from somewhere.

Of course all healthcare is paid for - the NHS is paid for through taxation (national insurance contributions) and yes it has many problems

But at point of need we have free general practitioner services (Primary Care Physicians) who refer to hospitals for free treatment, our A&E (ER) and Ambulance and hospital care is free and never turns anyone away. Our media is full of stories of bed blockers (people who stay too long in hospitals), drunks filling A&E and issues associated with reduced budgets and bad management .. but walk into any A&E or call an ambulance with heart problems and you would be seen. After being triaged and you may have to wait a few hours but there is no bill, so no discincentive to seek care and it's equitable across all social / economic strata.

Some of us have private healthcare on top ... ours is through my husband's work (I work in the State Sector so no private benefits), we pay about £240 per month for a family of 4 ($360 out of gross salary, so prior to tax) for the privilege of skipping queues to see consultants, dropping the wait from weeks / months to a couple of days on a convenient appointment basis .. but then, if treatment is required and not covered entirely by our private healthcare the National Health Service takes over and again we're back to free at point of need. It's not fair but it happens.

its not free…

your government taxes successfully individuals and makes them pay for healthcare for the less successful…so they are subsidizing care through taxation and redistribution of wealth…

But when it comes down to it, I don't ever have to question whether I'm going to the ER or not . . . I just go. I think in situations like this (and I'm in a fairly high tax bracket because I make good money) I'm ok with being taxed so I can go and get help I need when I need it without worrying about how I'm going to pay a $500 bill if it turns out I'm ok.

Granted, some health care dollars are wasted but I like universal health care and I'm ok with paying a little higher taxes to know that me and my family can go see a doctor without having the added worry of how am I going to pay for this?

I am not going to comment, because politics..

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    It's amazing how Healthcare works sometimes, just makes no sense. This past summer a cousin of mine was here from Chile on a student visa when he got an infection in his eye and ended up being admitted to the hospital for 6 days. A couple weeks later a $52,000 bill came in the mail. We called and they told him to go down and speak to the finance department. I took him down there, they signed him up for "emergency medicaid", mind you he was only here in a student visa. 2 weeks later we were told that his bill was now $0. From 52 to 0. The lady also told me that for him it was easeasy-to-use to get him medicad but if I lost my job, hand no insurance and tried to apply for medicaid it would be much harder to get me approved. Makes absolutely no sense.

I'm not entirely sure that's accurate. A colleague of mine was laid off and applied for affordable health care within a month of her lay off and was approved. It wasn't "medicaid" but it costs her about $70 bucks a month. As she's without work for longer, the rate goes down. So no, you wouldn't qualify for *medicaid* right away, but would qualify for low cost healthcare. If you were out of a job for a longer while, you would qualify for Medicaid. While the Act has expanded who qualifies for medicaid, it hasn't fundamentally changed it.
    I had a friend visiting in 2009. She had a job (in Germany) but no insurance. She qualified for emergency medicaid for her pulmonary embolism. Medicaid (now) does cover students though, yes.
    Meh, I can't say I know for sure what would happen if I was in that situation. The lady that told me that could very well have been wrong. I really hope to never have to find out. Hopefully. I work for one of the larger Health systems in Nwe York so if I ever have a medical situation I go to one of our 17 hospitals and I never see a bill. They cover the whole thing. My Wednesday/Thursday partner had surgery in August to address Diverticulitis and the health system covered the entire thing 100%.
    Oh lord. diverticulitis is something I hope I never have to feel. I also hope I never have to be without insurance again.
  • dbmata
    Options

its not free…

That's a good idea.
    Particularly since a healthy workforce is a productive one, and a productive one produces more goods, etc.

Simple economic strategy to keep the producers healthy.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

its not free…

That's a good idea.
    Particularly since a healthy workforce is a productive one, and a productive one produces more goods, etc.

LOL I am not touching that one...

but keep trying to draw me in bro!
  • acorsaut89
    Options

its not free…

I wasn't interested in politics at all with this . . . Mostly just pointing out that I recognize it's not free, however if the OP lived in a country with universal health care this post probably wouldn't be on here.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

I wasn't interested in politics at all with this . . . Mostly just pointing out that I recognize it's not free, however if the OP lived in a country with universal health care this post probably wouldn't be on here.

The US does have a halfway decent National Healthcare system. The problem is that you have to be either age 65 or have been disabled for 2 years in order to enroll. Every worker pays for it with payroll taxes throughout their working life (OK, there are a couple of industries that are exempt like the railroads who provide their own) and those who are enrolled also pay a monthly premium of $105 per person ($104.90 to be exact). Many who have it also have private insurance that covers more services or cuts the out of pocket costs for covered services.

Back to the OP: why are you not covered under your parent's insurance? They can keep you on until age 26. You do not have to be a student. You can even be married and not living with your parents.

• ndj1979
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

The US does have a halfway decent National Healthcare system. The problem is that you have to be either age 65 or have been disabled for 2 years in order to enroll. Every worker pays for it with payroll taxes throughout their working life (OK, there are a couple of industries that are exempt like the railroads who provide their own) and those who are enrolled also pay a monthly premium of $105 per person ($104.90 to be exact). Many who have it also have private insurance that covers more services or cuts the out of pocket costs for covered services.

Back to the OP: why are you not covered under your parent's insurance? They can keep you on until age 26. You do not have to be a student. You can even be married and not living with your parents.

I think people are conflating insurance with health care ...they are not the same..

US health care is top notch ..

US insurance system is a mess...
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    [

I think people are conflating insurance with health care ...they are not the same..

US health care is top notch ..

US insurance system is a mess...

THIS. Speaking as one who didn't have insurance for a lot of years, there were a lot of times when I just took a sick day and stayed home and hoped for the best. When you live paycheck to paycheck, you have to sometimes decide between healthcare and having a place to live. The problem is, you can get free or mostly free healthcare if you're poor enough. But that determination line hasn't moved with the time, so there are millions of people that have trouble making ends meet and yet still don't qualify for Medicare. And despite what people think about Obama's health care reforms, it's nice to have the government step in and tell the insurance companies to stop being so greedy and actually try and make sure everyone has access to at least basic health care.

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I'm neither ignorant nor an idiot, so unsure why you'd cherry pick a phrase out of context to make it sound like I said something completely different

It's what he does.
  • dbmata
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

its not free…

That's a good idea.

Hai der.

You know, as a younger lad, I had a lot of fun sending diseases through my simcity towns thanks to add ons.

I wanted to see what would happen to productivity. lol.
  • ndj1979
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    I'm neither ignorant nor an idiot, so unsure why you'd cherry pick a phrase out of context to make it sound like I said something completely different

It's what he does.

umm no ..

I did not take anything out of context. I bolded the part I did not agree with and provided the persons whole quote. Taking it out of context would of been chopping it down to just that statement and posting it as if that was all that was said, which I clearly did not do.

the poster said it was paid through taxation and then said it was "free"

it is not free...

that is all ..

• aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
  • aubyshortcake
    edited January 2015
    Options
    sorry, oops.

• aubyshortcake
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Sorry, I didn't read every post. Just throwing in my 2 cents: go to the doctor.

I was having an asthma attack a few years ago, but it started very gradually and I thought it was just difficulty breathing due to the cold I currently had. I waited a few days, it got worse and worse and I ended up going to the ER and spending 4 days in the hospital (which, if I didn't have insurance, would have cost over 20 grand).

My point is, if you have a medical condition that ends up getting worse because you ignored it and didn't go to the doctor, it's likely to cost much more money once it's bad enough that you're forced to go than it would have if you had just gone in the first place.[/quote]