January Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    Lesleycali wrote: »
    1/11-- 6.5 miles, trail, mud mud mud

Thank you guys, I so didn't want to go so I checked in here and saw all you guys and gals running. It made me get my butt out the door and my feet on the (muddy) trails. Woo hoo
    Did you go out in the pouring rain or after it slowed late this afternoon? Proud of you for getting out there in either case! I was so happy today was my rest day and I got my 7 mile rain run in yesterday when the rain was still pretty light.

I did go out and drive the course for the half next weekend. We went after it got dark so I could see what the lighting is like since it will be dark (starts at 5:30am eek!) Good news is it is pretty much all flat - not even an overpass to navigate, bad news is it is not scenic at all and goes thru some pretty run down areas :(
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    fabnine wrote: »

Jan 11 __12.8 _14F trail
    Jan 12 __
    Month total= 55.7miles ___ 84.3remaining

@fabnine‌ - you modestly post almost 13 miles in 14 degree weather with no comment or fanfare!! Wow! Look at you go girl!!
    I still don't understand how all of you run in that kind of cold weather!
  • AshleyNicolePedigo
    AshleyNicolePedigo Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    1/1-3.10 Miles done
    1/2-2.9 miles done
    1/3-1.24 miles done
    1/4-
    1/5-
    1/6-
    1/7-2 miles
    1/8-
    1/9-1 mile done
    1/10-
    1/11-4 miles

14.24/25 miles done!!
  • jtarmom
    jtarmom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    1/2 - 3.48 miles
    1/12 - 3.16 miles

Finally made it back outside to run!

exercise.png

• ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    Jan 1 - 5K on the beach;
    Jan 2 - rest
    Jan 3 - 34 mile bike ride
    Jan 4 - 4.5
    Jan 5 - Strength Training
    Jan 6 - 4.0
    Jan 7 - rest
    Jan 8 - 4.1
    Jan 9 - strength training
    Jan 10 - 4.5
    Jan 11 - 3.4 and 24 mile bike ride
    Jan 12 - 3.3 - very foggy and creepy out at 4:30! But fun, easy run.

exercise.png

• wifeoferp
    wifeoferp Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Up to 20 miles, but my knee is not letting me run today--- hopefully back at it tomorrow.

1/1: 3 miles
    1/2: cross-train
    1/3: 4 miles
    1/4: rest
    1/5: 3 miles
    1/6: 2.5 miles
    1/7: cross-train
    1/8: 2.5 miles
    1/9: cross-train
    1/10: 5 miles

To-date: 20 miles
    Goal: 40

exercise.png[img][/img]
  • correylyn
    correylyn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm excited I found this! My goal for January is 75 miles.

exercise.png

• ajax041813
    ajax041813 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Im gonna shoot for 25 miles, still a newbie here. I did 2 yesterday!
  • harpere87
    harpere87 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    exercise.png
  • jeffininer
    jeffininer Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Jan 1: 3.22 Treadmill run
    Jan 2: Strength
    Jan 3: Rest
    Jan 4: 5.00 Greenway Run
    Jan 5: 3.15 Treadmill Run
    Jan 6: Strength
    Jan 7: 3.27 Treadmill Intervals
    Jan 8: 3.00 Treadmill Run
    Jan 9: Cross Train/BodyCombat
    Jan10: Rest
    Jan 11: 6.00 Greenway Run

Total: 23.64 miles of 80

exercise.png
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for January

1/1 8 miles - 8
    1/2 9 miles - 17
    1/3 REST DAY
    1/4 8.85 miles - 25.85
    1/5 6.2 miles - 32.05
    1/6 7 miles - 39.05
    1/7 6.2 miles - 45.25
    1/8 8 miles 53.25 <<< 8 degrees is cold for Alabama
    1/9 6.2 miles 59.45
    1/10 14 miles 73.45
    1/11 9 miles 82.45

exercise.png

• SLHysell
    SLHysell Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I think it's interesting how different people define long verses short mileage. I see a lot of people excited for having done 30 miles and a lot of posts apologizing for only having done 30 miles. For me, 30 is a lot considering how many miles I was able to do not that long ago. Also, when I tell my non-runner friends I went out for a 7 mile run, they can't even comprehend it. I don't know how many times I've heard someone say, "I can't even imagine running a mile."

01/01/2015 - 5.02 Miles - Cumulative 5.02 Miles
    01/04/2015 - 6.53 Miles - Cumulative 11.55 Miles
    01/06/2015 - 6.70 Miles - Cumulative 18.25 Miles
    01/08/2015 - 4.50 Miles - Cumulative 22.75 Miles (Brrrrr...it was cold!)
    01/11/2015 - 7.35 Miles - Cumulative 30.10 Miles

GOAL: 75 Miles

exercise.png
  • Remus42
    Remus42 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    A little slow off the start. But it's been crazy cold here -26 with the windchill and I was not feeling that.
    So mostly been walking the dog and went skating once. But yesterday finally got out and ran. And went again today.

Jan 11- 5k
    Jan 12- 5k

exercise.png
  • Lesleycali
    Lesleycali Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    Lesleycali wrote: »
    1/11-- 6.5 miles, trail, mud mud mud

Thank you guys, I so didn't want to go so I checked in here and saw all you guys and gals running. It made me get my butt out the door and my feet on the (muddy) trails. Woo hoo
    Did you go out in the pouring rain or after it slowed late this afternoon? Proud of you for getting out there in either case! I was so happy today was my rest day and I got my 7 mile rain run in yesterday when the rain was still pretty light.

I did go out and drive the course for the half next weekend. We went after it got dark so I could see what the lighting is like since it will be dark (starts at 5:30am eek!) Good news is it is pretty much all flat - not even an overpass to navigate, bad news is it is not scenic at all and goes thru some pretty run down areas :(

Hey there! You're in SoCal, too? How fun! Now I'm curious where your half is! Good luck on your race :)

I actually went when it was just light rain, so I didn't get too wet, although my feet did! Glad it was a rest day for you! Looks beautiful out there today.
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Knocked out a decent chunk with a 15K this past weekend!

21.89/60 so far.
  • fabnine
    fabnine Posts: 379 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    SLHysell wrote: »
    I think it's interesting how different people define long verses short mileage. I see a lot of people excited for having done 30 miles and a lot of posts apologizing for only having done 30 miles. For me, 30 is a lot considering how many miles I was able to do not that long ago. Also, when I tell my non-runner friends I went out for a 7 mile run, they can't even comprehend it. I don't know how many times I've heard someone say, "I can't even imagine running a mile."
    You're absolutely right. Running, like life, is relative to the sum total of your experiences. As long as we keep our own successes as the mark we press against we can continue to challenge that level, push beyond it, and succeed. If we look ahead to someone else's mark as a lofty goal to one day achieve, we must be careful not to perceive ourselves as failures.
    One day I may be able to increase my mileage to match @SonicDeathMonkey80, @Stoshew71 or @LoneWolfRunner, but I cannot measure my success by their ability.
    Cold and heat tolerance vary from one runner to the next. I discovered this winter that 14F can be unbearable or delightful. It depends on the humidity, the wind, the precipitation and my mental frame of mind.
    Add to all of that, one day we may become physically disabled and have to fight for every single mile we run. We may never be able to run again. If you're a runner every mile you run today is a gift.
    Go run. Enjoy your gift.

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    You're absolutely right. Running, like life, is relative to the sum total of your experiences. As long as we keep our own successes as the mark we press against we can continue to challenge that level, push beyond it, and succeed. If we look ahead to someone else's mark as a lofty goal to one day achieve, we must be careful not to perceive ourselves as failures.
    One day I may be able to increase my mileage to match @SonicDeathMonkey80, @Stoshew71 or @LoneWolfRunner, but I cannot measure my success by their ability.
    Cold and heat tolerance vary from one runner to the next. I discovered this winter that 14F can be unbearable or delightful. It depends on the humidity, the wind, the precipitation and my mental frame of mind.
    Add to all of that, one day we may become physically disabled and have to fight for every single mile we run. We may never be able to run again. If you're a runner every mile you run today is a gift.
    Go run today; enjoy your gift.

It's funny, I talked to 2 people in my church this weekend. My wife also runs but is training for only 5K's and 10K's right now, but she is able to bust out a slow 3 or 4 miler without stopping or walking now. About 3 or 4 months ago, she couldn't run more than a mile without the need to take a walk break.

Anyway, my wife and I are trying to start up a running group within our church. The 2 women we spoke to this weekend claimed they couldn't run 5 minutes without needing to stop. I explained to them the concept of C25K and run/walk intervals. It takes time, but if you stay consistent you will eventually be able to run many miles over time. The key is starting off slow and being consistent.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    1 Jan - 6mi, easy
    2 Jan - 6.2mi, easy
    3 Jan - 10mi trail
    4 Jan - 7mi trail w/girl
    5 Jan - 8.1mi, easy
    6 Jan - 8mi, easy, snow!
    7 Jan - 6mi, easy, -10°, +4mi w/girl
    8 Jan - 7mi, 6x Yasso 800s @6:40, treddy
    9 Jan - 10mi, easy, treddy
    10 Jan - 6mi trail race, 2mi cooldown, 6th overall, 2nd AG
    11 Jan - 3.7mi easy w/girl
    12 Jan - 8mi easy, treddy

Total: 91.9mi
    Goal: 230mi

Current Streak:
    66 days (537mi)

• SLHysell
    SLHysell Posts: 247 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Go run. Enjoy your gift.

I love this. I have goofy knees and have struggled with injuries all this year. Each running day is indeed a gift. -- I added the bold emphasis above.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    exercise.png
    1/1/2015: 3.94 miles outside
    1/2/2015: 3.46 miles treadmill
    1/3/2015: 1.95 miles outside, because I was too lazy to drive to the gym (?!)
    1/4/2015: 4.34 miles treadmill, driving to the gym was terrifying (ask me about my POS car.)
    1/5/2015: Rest (replaced car and dealt with insurance)
    1/6/2015: Rest (still dealing with insurance - switching to new agency)
    1/7/2015: 3.52 miles treadmill (and running around with old insurance agency, some more!)
    1/9/2015: 4.21 miles treadmill
    1/12/2015: 3.5 miles treadmill

This discussion has been closed.