Lifting Weights while in a calorie deficit

Options
Hi All! I just have quick question, I'm aware that you cannot gain muscle while eating at a calorie deficit...which I am. I'm having no problem losing weight, my question is about increasing my weights with lifting. I've been increasing what I lift and I feel that I am getting stronger (being able to do more reps, adding more weight the last set, ect). Is that different than gaining muscle?
Thank you ahead of time and excuse the ignorance! :)

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Hi All! I just have quick question, I'm aware that you cannot gain muscle while eating at a calorie deficit...which I am. I'm having no problem losing weight, my question is about increasing my weights with lifting. I've been increasing what I lift and I feel that I am getting stronger (being able to do more reps, adding more weight the last set, ect). Is that different than gaining muscle?
    Thank you ahead of time and excuse the ignorance! :)

Yes, it's neuro adaptation.

Basically your increase in strength is your body becoming more efficient at lifting, and thus can continue to lift more and more. These gains are capped at a point though.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    That's actually a much repeated myth. You can gain muscle while in a calorie deficit, however, the more you wish to gain, the more strict your diet would need to be to do so.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Everything I've read suggests you can actually increase muscle mass while eating at a calorie deficit, at least at first. It's not much and not for long, but it can happen.

As far as getting stronger without building muscle goes, when you start lifting, your central nervous system becomes more efficient, enabling you to recruit more muscle for your movements. This enables you to move more weight. When most people first start strength training they'll get stronger for the first 4-6 weeks before they start to gain any muscle mass.
  • Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    That's actually a much repeated myth. You can gain muscle while in a calorie deficit, however, the more you wish to gain, the more strict your diet would need to be to do so.

Wtf lol? Oh ya...Damnit, I could've been Arnold Schwarzenegger at the end of my weight loss then if I had eaten right while I lifted?

There's a window of CNS adaptation where one can gain a miniscule amount of muscle, even in a deficit if one is getting proper protein and performing a good structured lifting routine but it is short lived. I won't dismiss the idea that there is zero gain but not a significant amount. If it were just down to a certain eating method for muscle gain and being in a deficit, why would bodybuilders do bulk and cut cycles to build muscle?
  • kevinmacpa
    kevinmacpa Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    If you have never lifted before, or have been out of shape for a long time, it's possible to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time with weight training and proper nutrition, even with a calorie deficit, at least for the first few month. It's called newbie gain.

You need to make sure you eat enough protein everyday to minimize muscle catabolism, and maximize muscle anabolism with proper carb, fat and protein balance.

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    getting stronger and building muscle aren't exactly synonymous. you can build strength and drop some body fat (making it look like you're building muscle) while starting to lift and on a calorie deficit. this is commonly known as "noobie gains" and can go one for up to a year.
  • TimothyFish
    Options

Wtf lol? Oh ya...Damnit, I could've been Arnold Schwarzenegger at the end of my weight loss then if I had eaten right while I lifted?

There's a window of CNS adaptation where one can gain a miniscule amount of muscle, even in a deficit if one is getting proper protein and performing a good structured lifting routine but it is short lived. I won't dismiss the idea that there is zero gain but not a significant amount. If it were just down to a certain eating method for muscle gain and being in a deficit, why would bodybuilders do bulk and cut cycles to build muscle?

As is explained in this article (http://www.sparkpeople.com/blog/blog.asp?post=you_asked_is_it_possible_to_build_muscle_and_lose_weight_at_the_same_time), because it is easier to focus on one at a time. But there is a big difference between something being difficult and it being impossible.
  • Phoenix_Down
    Options

As is explained in this article (http://www.sparkpeople.com/blog/blog.asp?post=you_asked_is_it_possible_to_build_muscle_and_lose_weight_at_the_same_time), because it is easier to focus on one at a time. But there is a big difference between something being difficult and it being impossible.

Ya, that's not a peer reviewed study or scientific research article. That's a man who had had great success in weight loss and became a PT and decided to start formulating his own opinion.

Opinions are not facts.

I also never said it was impossible but it also isn't something that is significant like you suggest or has longstanding benefits, even under the most ideal circumstances. That is why those who achieve their BF% goal and wish to continue in lifting do bulk/cut cycles.
  • TimothyFish
    Options

Ya, that's not a peer reviewed study or scientific research article. That's a man who had had great success in weight loss and became a PT and decided to start formulating his own opinion.

Opinions are not facts.

I also never said it was impossible but it also isn't something that is significant like you suggest or has longstanding benefits, even under the most ideal circumstances. That is why those who achieve their BF% goal and wish to continue in lifting do bulk/cut cycles.

The people who keep saying, "you can't gain muscle mass on a deficit" aren't quoting from a scientific paper either, but that doesn't keep them doing it. All I said is that they are wrong, and that's a fact.
  • Phoenix_Down
    Options

Opinions are not facts.

The people who keep saying, "you can't gain muscle mass on a deficit" aren't quoting from a scientific paper either, but that doesn't keep them doing it. All I said is that they are wrong, and that's a fact.

I don't think it's as black and white as people generally state but most people asking about building muscle think that because they're stalled out in weight loss they've magically gained muscle to make up for whatever weight they were supposed to lose and ya...

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/adding-muscle-while-losing-fat-qa.html/

"In fact, I’d tend to argue that most people’s attempts to achieve the above results in them simply spinning their wheels, making no progress towards either goal.  Because invariably they set up a situation where neither training nor diet is optimized for either fat loss or muscle gain.  Calories are too high for fat loss and too low to support muscle gains and outside of that one overfat beginner situation, the physiology simply isn’t going to readily allow what they want to happen to happen."

"Lyle McDonald is a physiologist and author who has spent over a decade obsessively finding ways to apply cutting-edge scientific research to sports nutrition, fat loss and muscle growth."

http://evidencemag.com/the-10-most-credible-health-and-fitness-bloggers-you-can-trust/

I trust someone who actually studies in the field of science over someone who has worked in other things and decided to slap PT on their name for credibility, myself.
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    The problem with the (incorrect) claim of being unable to build muscle while in a caloric deficit is that nobody ever attributes the result to a time frame.

Imagine a hypothetical person who over a period of 12 months transitions from 200 lbs, 35% body fat (130 lbs lean mass) to 180 lbs, 22.2% body fat (140 lbs lean mass). Those numbers aren't that crazy in a 1 year span are they? But this person has proven that they've been at a net caloric deficit (they've lost total weight) and still gained muscle mass (lean body mass increased).

So if it's possible to do over a year, why not over a month? Over a week? A day?

Nobody staking any claims here ever bothers to define what time frame of deficit they are talking about; obviously it is possible to build mass while on a net caloric deficit, but the main question is: what is the shortest duration of time for which that is true?
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

Physics says you're wrong.
  • elphie754
    Options

Opinions are not facts.

They don't need to cute scientific papers. It is easily proven by the law of thermodynamics.
  • Sevendust912
    Sevendust912 Posts: 122 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    noob gains tho
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Zedeff wrote: »
    The problem with the (incorrect) claim of being unable to build muscle while in a caloric deficit is that nobody ever attributes the result to a time frame.

Imagine a hypothetical person who over a period of 12 months transitions from 200 lbs, 35% body fat (130 lbs lean mass) to 180 lbs, 22.2% body fat (140 lbs lean mass). Those numbers aren't that crazy in a 1 year span are they? But this person has proven that they've been at a net caloric deficit (they've lost total weight) and still gained muscle mass (lean body mass increased).

So if it's possible to do over a year, why not over a month? Over a week? A day?

Nobody staking any claims here ever bothers to define what time frame of deficit they are talking about; obviously it is possible to build mass while on a net caloric deficit, but the main question is: what is the shortest duration of time for which that is true?

I think this is a great point.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

Its not a myth. Newbie gains are common but building muscle is intentional and not easy.
  • jcmartin217
    jcmartin217 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm happy my body doesn't read.....I would be pretty upset not to have gained all this muscle at a calorie deficit! I was already happy it couldn't hear that I couldn't gain doing the amount of cardio I do. I guess you all must be talking about gaining 100 lbs. of muscle or something?
  • TimothyFish
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

Opinions are not facts.

They don't need to cute scientific papers. It is easily proven by the law of thermodynamics.

Untrue, because we aren't talking about gaining weight but about gaining muscle. It requires a food source to gain muscle. Stored fat works like a second food source.
  • elphie754
    Options

Opinions are not facts.

Untrue, because we aren't talking about gaining weight but about gaining muscle. It requires a food source to gain muscle. Stored fat works like a second food source.

Physics: you're doing it wrong.
  • TimothyFish
    Options

Opinions are not facts.

Physics: you're doing it wrong.

Why do you say that? To build muscle, you break down the muscle through exercise and then the body rebuilds it from the nutrients that it has available to it (mostly from protein). In doing this, the body uses energy to exercise and also to move the nutrients to the proper places for the muscle to rebuild. That energy can be specified in terms of calories. If the body uses more energy while doing this than what a person consumes, it will draw energy from stored fat. The nutrients for rebuilding muscle, however, will come from the gut. The body can simultaneously use energy from fat while moving nutrients from the gut to the muscles.