Lifting Weights while in a calorie deficit

Options
2»

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Of course it's not impossible to gain muscle in a calorie deficit. That would mean not one single person could!
    It's clearly not optimal but that's a million miles away from impossible.

It's well known that muscle can be added by:
    Newbies.
    Those returning to training after a break.
    Genetically gifted (like almost all teenage males!)
    Novel training stimulus.
    Drug abusers.

So take an "over fat" newby, young male and they have every chance of adding muscle as long as their training, diet and calorie deficit are reasonable.

Take a lean, fully trained, experienced female lifter and you have little chance.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    What sijomail said. It depends and seems to be limited to particular circumstances. Beyond those its extremely unlikely.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    You can certainly get stronger! You probably won't get bulkier, but you can get definition for sure. It has worked well for me. The real benefit is that you won't *lose* muscle tissue, whereas if you did not lift, you probably would. I had my body composition checked monthly throughout my period of fat loss and I lost no muscle tissue because I was lifting. So this way your proportion of muscle over fat increases. :)
  • jcmartin217
    jcmartin217 Posts: 5 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    The thing about the internet is you can listen to those who say it can't be done or you can keep looking to see if someone says it can be done. Maybe it's just a mental thing that I feel I burn fat on cardio days and gain muscle on lifting days but my mental power has family and friends convinced it's happening too. This program works for me at a calorie deficit and maybe it will work for others who refuse to believe it can't happen.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kelly3.htm

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    That's actually a much repeated myth. You can gain muscle while in a calorie deficit, however, the more you wish to gain, the more strict your diet would need to be to do so.

Wtf lol? Oh ya...Damnit, I could've been Arnold Schwarzenegger at the end of my weight loss then if I had eaten right while I lifted?

There's a window of CNS adaptation where one can gain a miniscule amount of muscle, even in a deficit if one is getting proper protein and performing a good structured lifting routine but it is short lived. I won't dismiss the idea that there is zero gain but not a significant amount. If it were just down to a certain eating method for muscle gain and being in a deficit, why would bodybuilders do bulk and cut cycles to build muscle?

As is explained in this article (http://www.sparkpeople.com/blog/blog.asp?post=you_asked_is_it_possible_to_build_muscle_and_lose_weight_at_the_same_time), because it is easier to focus on one at a time. But there is a big difference between something being difficult and it being impossible.

Ya, that's not a peer reviewed study or scientific research article. That's a man who had had great success in weight loss and became a PT and decided to start formulating his own opinion.

Opinions are not facts.

I also never said it was impossible but it also isn't something that is significant like you suggest or has longstanding benefits, even under the most ideal circumstances. That is why those who achieve their BF% goal and wish to continue in lifting do bulk/cut cycles.

The people who keep saying, "you can't gain muscle mass on a deficit" aren't quoting from a scientific paper either, but that doesn't keep them doing it. All I said is that they are wrong, and that's a fact.

They don't need to cute scientific papers. It is easily proven by the law of thermodynamics.

Untrue, because we aren't talking about gaining weight but about gaining muscle. It requires a food source to gain muscle. Stored fat works like a second food source.
    Muscle is weight. You gain all weight via caloric surplus. the difference is that gaining muscle and minimal/no fat requires a slight to moderate surplus while lifting properly.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    This article seems to make rational sense, at least within the context of my own goals. Not a fancy peer-reviewed journal, but a fitness site that is often shared and recommended here, so hopefully this is also sound. http://scoobysworkshop.com/bulking-and-cutting/
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Of course it's not impossible to gain muscle in a calorie deficit. That would mean not one single person could!
    It's clearly not optimal but that's a million miles away from impossible.

It's well known that muscle can be added by:
    Newbies.
    Those returning to training after a break.
    Genetically gifted (like almost all teenage males!)
    Novel training stimulus.
    Drug abusers.

So take an "over fat" newby, young male and they have every chance of adding muscle as long as their training, diet and calorie deficit are reasonable.

Take a lean, fully trained, experienced female lifter and you have little chance.

+1
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    The thing about the internet is you can listen to those who say it can't be done or you can keep looking to see if someone says it can be done. Maybe it's just a mental thing that I feel I burn fat on cardio days and gain muscle on lifting days but my mental power has family and friends convinced it's happening too. This program works for me at a calorie deficit and maybe it will work for others who refuse to believe it can't happen.

What?

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    That's actually a much repeated myth. You can gain muscle while in a calorie deficit, however, the more you wish to gain, the more strict your diet would need to be to do so.

What planet would this be on??
    OP with the exception of newbie gains, one does not usually gain in a deficit. One will become stronger.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    God, I wouldn't have expected all this in a thread about strength gains :open_mouth:

OP, the first guy answered your question. CNS adaptations - you're gaining strength (possibly a tiny bit of muscle too), have at it while it lasts.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    the level of derp and total misunderstanding of math and physics in this thread is amazing…

Let me break it down for you.

To build muscle you need extra mass. Extra mass for purpose of this discussion = calorie surplus.

To lose body fat you need an energy deficit. Energy deficit for our purpose = calorie deficit.

So if you want to add muscle, i.e. mass, you need to be in a calorie surplus.

If you want to lose body fat, you need an energy deficit, and need to eat in a calorie deficit.

So as we can see the process of building muscle and losing fat are diametrically opposed to one another.

Yes, some newbies can experience newbie gains, but that will only lat for a period of three to six months, at the end of which, said newbie gains will peter out.

Also, some high performance athletes may be able to build muscle in a calorie deficit but studies are conflicting on this.

So unless you are a high performance athlete or newbie you will not gain muscle in a calorie deficit.

Think of it this way. If you are building a house out of X materials, and run out of said materials. Can you finish building the house by tearing it down and building it back up at the same time, out of the same materials??????

• ndj1979
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'm happy my body doesn't read.....I would be pretty upset not to have gained all this muscle at a calorie deficit! I was already happy it couldn't hear that I couldn't gain doing the amount of cardio I do. I guess you all must be talking about gaining 100 lbs. of muscle or something?

how do you know that you have gained muscle in a calorie deficit? Or are you confusing losing body fat and showing existing muscle, with losing body fat and adding new muscle????
  • ndj1979
    Options

is LSD involved in this process of feeling the burned fat on cardio days and feeling the muscle gain on lifting days????
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I'm happy my body doesn't read.....I would be pretty upset not to have gained all this muscle at a calorie deficit! I was already happy it couldn't hear that I couldn't gain doing the amount of cardio I do. I guess you all must be talking about gaining 100 lbs. of muscle or something?

how do you know that you have gained muscle in a calorie deficit? Or are you confusing losing body fat and showing existing muscle, with losing body fat and adding new muscle????

I'd guess it's this
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    The answer is "yes" but not very much and for those with some biochem/microbio the answer lies with the interplay of things such as mTorc1, AMPK, IGF-1, IGF-2, MGH, etc. It doesn't violate the laws of thermodynamics in the least but it doesn't work well either. Jason Blaha (Ice Cream Fitness/Jaugurnaught Fitness) did a good video response to Athlean-X's claims and admits that yes for a certain segment of the population (i.e. novice to intermediate and reconditioning lifters) that it does work but not well and has very strict parameters.

There was a post on BB.com by a PhD in exercise physiology that went through some of the calculations and if you are close but under maintenance it is possible since fat can be used to make up the energy difference. However, you will be lowered in your ability to synthesize new muscle tissue due to increases in AMPK levels. The greater the deficit the higher the AMPK levels and the less you can attract mTORC1 etc.

So a slight surplus will always be better for those trying to gain muscle. Also, the more advanced of a lifter you are the harder it becomes to gain and thus the larger the surplus will be needed to maximize muscle gains, but we already know this!

For those with more interest in this shoot me an email for some good links backed by current research.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

is LSD involved in this process of feeling the burned fat on cardio days and feeling the muscle gain on lifting days????

Any volunteers for that experiment? :)
  • ndj1979
    Options
    The answer is "yes" but not very much and for those with some biochem/microbio the answer lies with the interplay of things such as mTorc1, AMPK, IGF-1, IGF-2, MGH, etc. It doesn't violate the laws of thermodynamics in the least but it doesn't work well either. Jason Blaha (Ice Cream Fitness/Jaugurnaught Fitness) did a good video response to Athlean-X's claims and admits that yes for a certain segment of the population (i.e. novice to intermediate and reconditioning lifters) that it does work but not well and has very strict parameters.

There was a post on BB.com by a PhD in exercise physiology that went through some of the calculations and if you are close but under maintenance it is possible since fat can be used to make up the energy difference. However, you will be lowered in your ability to synthesize new muscle tissue due to increases in AMPK levels. The greater the deficit the higher the AMPK levels and the less you can attract mTORC1 etc.

So a slight surplus will always be better for those trying to gain muscle. Also, the more advanced of a lifter you are the harder it becomes to gain and thus the larger the surplus will be needed to maximize muscle gains, but we already know this!

For those with more interest in this shoot me an email for some good links backed by current research.

so basically what you are saying is that for 5% of the population it might be possible, but the other 95% of us are stuck with the good ole bulk/cut cycle????

feel free to correct my numbers…:)
  • ndj1979
    Options

Any volunteers for that experiment? :)

ill pass….
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

so basically what you are saying is that for 5% of the population it might be possible, but the other 95% of us are stuck with the good ole bulk/cut cycle????

6%. ;) Everyone will do better in the bulk/cut cycle in the end in my view but if someone is trying to lose weight and is a novice lifter, AND will tolerate a slower weight loss then it might be an option.
  • ndj1979
    Options

6%. ;) Everyone will do better in the bulk/cut cycle in the end in my view but if someone is trying to lose weight and is a novice lifter, AND will tolerate a slower weight loss then it might be an option.

I hear ya man..

thanks for the breakdown!