Any ideas on what veg to eat unlimited?

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    EWJLang wrote: »
    Again, my 30 calories of broccoli with breakfast is for the PLAIN broccoli. NOT ANY TOPPING. What is so magical about it that it's "free" and the cream in my coffee is not? Nothing.

Whatever. Your body will log it even if you don't.

That's pretty much how I see it. Especially since I'm a vegetarian.

I was once a raw foods vegan. All I ate were veggies and nuts. I never lost any weight eating that way either.

• I would concentrate on vegetables that are higher in fiber if you are concerned about your carb intake.
  • DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    edited January 2015
    gotolam wrote: »

Again, I dare you to eat so much broccoli that it puts you over the top. Have you tried to eat 200 calories worth of broccoli?

No one is talking about dressing, cheese, oil, butter and eggs. I am not talking about being a vegetarian. I am talking about eating green leafy vegetables.

Gotlam, you are absolutely right. No one has gotten fat eating just green leafy vegetables.

For for many of us, however, green leafy vegetables are just one type of food we eat. We also eat a whole variety of other types of food. We keep track of all the types of food because each type has calories and we don't want to go over a specific caloric number so we can lose weight.

For instance, if I've already eaten my 1400 calories for the day, and I really want to eat a bag of Bird's Eye Steamable Broccoli, which contains 120 calories a bag, I wouldn't eat it because that broccoli would put me 120 calories over my limit of 1400.

If I were at 1280 calories, and I had to choose between the bag of broccoli and a 120 calorie piece of bread, I'd choose the broccoli because it would keep me fuller longer than the piece of bread. But the broccoli would still be 120 calories, I would still be at 1400 and any more broccoli would still be working against my weight loss goal.

OP, I don't know how big a plate of broccoli is. A bag of Bird's Eye Steamable Broccoli is 336 grams, and fills up about 1/2 a 10" plate. It contains 20 carbs.

• iamaprincessx
    iamaprincessx Posts: 78 Member
    I do log my calories

& I didn't mean it as if I would be eating 'unlimited' amounts, I worded it wrong....
    I get really full after eating a plate full (about 2 cups or 60 calories) and don't feel hungry for example if I have it for dinner I don't feel the urge to snack in the night,
    All I asked was if the carb content was fine as I understand there is about 12 carbs in 2 cups but I just don't know what that means? and I just didn't want to eat it late at night having them carbs stationary in my stomach without being burnt off, that's all

x

• HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    That's not how carbohydrates and calories work...it doesn't matter when you consume them, your body will use them as needed. Since you're logging, you're not looking at any caloric surprises, so have at it.

And, honestly, from the amount of cardio you say you're doing, I suspect your muscles will be very thankful for some carbs to use.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Probably the best advice to leave here would be to encourage you to read a basic nutrition and fitness book.
  • EAVA
    EAVA Posts: 31 Member

fresh Watercress - 1 cup cal- 4 carbs -0 protein-1 fiber -5
    Iceberg Lettuce - 1cup cal -15 carbs -3 protein-1 fiber -1
    Celery - Raw - 1 cup cal -14 carbs -3 protein-1 fiber- 2

• iamaprincessx
    iamaprincessx Posts: 78 Member
    yoovie wrote: »
    Probably the best advice to leave here would be to encourage you to read a basic nutrition and fitness book.

Ok........ I joined this site for motivation and to have some questions answered... no need to patronize me or be rude

Quite a lot of people on this site seem to be in competition over 'Who's diet is best' so I think I'm going to leave and just try on my own without judgement

• aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    I'm not sure it's a good idea to feel free to gorge on anything, even if it is lettuce or whatever. Ohhhh the discomfort :x lol
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    I do log my calories

& I didn't mean it as if I would be eating 'unlimited' amounts, I worded it wrong....
    I get really full after eating a plate full (about 2 cups or 60 calories) and don't feel hungry for example if I have it for dinner I don't feel the urge to snack in the night,
    All I asked was if the carb content was fine as I understand there is about 12 carbs in 2 cups but I just don't know what that means? and I just didn't want to eat it late at night having them carbs stationary in my stomach without being burnt off, that's all

x

That's not how it works though. Your body burns calories all day long, even while you are sleeping.
  • HeySwoleSister
    If that's you in your profile pic, you can definitely afford to ease up on your dietary restriction. You need fuel for your workouts.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    yoovie wrote: »

Ok........ I joined this site for motivation and to have some questions answered... no need to patronize me or be rude

Quite a lot of people on this site seem to be in competition over 'Who's diet is best' so I think I'm going to leave and just try on my own without judgement

I was neither patronizing you nor being rude, if you heard that in my font, then it is because of your own filter.

If a grown woman walks on to the internet and asks is such and such specific basic vegetable healthy - then they are letting us know that they don't yet have a working knowledge base for basic nutrition.

In this case, it is most helpful for a person to build up their knowledge so that their own judgment is stronger and they can trust their decisions instead of having to continue to ask others. Especially cause others (especially strangers on the internet) dont know your past, your struggles, your allergies, your eating habits...

No need to be so rude to strangers who volunteer to help you.

• HeySwoleSister
    I'd add that comments like "I don't want carbs stationary in my stomach late at night" do not inspire the utmost confidence in your nutritional knowledge base.

• I don't believe you should have "unlimited" veggies or anything for that matter. The stomach can only hold so much. If you overeat (volume) you can stretch your stomach, even with broccoli! Everything should be in portion size. Get your daily intake of protein, fats, carbs etc. in a sensible manner. Just my thoughts!
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    I do log my calories
    and I just didn't want to eat it late at night having them carbs stationary in my stomach without being burnt off, that's all

That's not how digestion works. Your body is constantly digesting everything you eat, whether you're asleep or awake or working out or sitting in front of the TV. I agree that you may find an intro to nutrition book helpful, NOT a diet book espousing a particular plan. It would help you understand digestion and the roles of carbohydrates in a healthy diet.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Hearts of palm are great if you like pickled things. Pickled beets are also a great bang for the buck (even if they are starchier). I like to put them on salads though and do away with dressing. The pickled beet juice is both sweet and sour so I can usually get away with just a little bit that comes out with the pickled beets. A whole jar of pickled beets are less than 150 cals (of course, eating the whole jar would probably get you sick).
  • gotolam
    gotolam Posts: 262 Member
    MrM27 wrote: »
    If I hit a plateau, I wouldn't be looking at my veg intake.

Not sure you would be hitting a plateau eating 1200 calories.

Why would I be eating 1200 cals/day? I'm in maintenance. Yes, I somehow magically dieted down to my goal weight and stayed there.

But scarier than hell that you remember posts I made over a year ago. Seriously, dude.
  • gotolam
    gotolam Posts: 262 Member
    If I hit a plateau, I wouldn't be looking at my veg intake.

Not sure you would be hitting a plateau eating 1200 calories.

Why would I be eating 1200 cals/day? I'm in maintenance. Yes, I somehow magically dieted down to my goal weight and stayed there.

But scarier than hell that you remember posts I made over a year ago. Seriously, dude.

I remember everything. You should practice it by reading up on actual science.

So you remember what other men eat? Wowsers.

Don't know why you think I'm anti-science. I used it to lose all of my weight, increase LBM, lose GERD and other complications, and am perfectly happy maintaining.

Methinks i'm not your best example of a cautionary tale. Please stalk somebody else.