Replies

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    yes, I find if I avoid too many carbs, I can go long periods of time without logging food at all and not gain.

yeah, me too, in the past. i think it's true that if you stick to food rules, counting can be less important. but it requires close adherence to the rules. exceptions have a way of slipping past a lot of people. counting calories is a surer way of knowing what's going in.

basically, it takes rigourous attention to either quantity (calories) or quality (food choices). ( both = better)

I think this is true too, but I'd say it's not about eating "healthy" but eating according to particular rules that tend to enforce lower calories, which you may, of course, tell yourself is the same as eating healthy.

oh no, it's definitely related to reducing calories overall. it's more whether people operate better (for them) by using rules of thumb ("no french fries") or by logging calories consistently.

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Good article by Armi Legge from an interview by Nia Shanks:

http://www.niashanks.com/stay-lean-without-tracking/

This is more about stopping tracking than not tracking in the first place.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    When I began, I was advised to eat healthy, exercise and not worry about anything else. I had special restrictions in addition to that, but could eat all the fruits and veggies my little heart desired.

Without logging, counting, weighing myself or doing any of the things that are so common for weight loss, I lost my first forty pounds. I was shocked when I found out how much I'd lost. Since my clothes got bigger and too big, I knew I'd lost, but was FLOORED by forty pounds. I literally got off and back on the scale and considered that I might've been weighed wrong in the first place, but it would've required like a dozen people doing it wrong in six or eight different places, so there was no error.

If you eat only the healthiest of foods - all healthy, all the time - it's really hard to overeat. You'll see people here asking about how to get to 1200 eating only the healthiest of food. While it's theoretically possible, it would be very difficult to gain weight eating All Healthy, All The Time.
    I completely disagree with this. There are too many high calorie choices that could be considered "healthy". If I ate grass fed steak, eggs, almonds/almond butter, milk, avocados, coconut oil, bananas, natural peanut butter, oats, granola, etc I could easily eat above my maintenance, and my maintenance is over 3000 calories. Someone with a smaller maintenance could do it even easier.

I guess, but really, who's going to have a steak-egg-avocado-peanut butter sandwich?

Most people tend not to eat as much when all they eat is home-cooked meals.

Fact is, when people mostly ate nothing but home-cooked meals, fewer people were overweight. Fact is, wherever the fast food industry takes hold, obesity rates rise in previously normal-weight populations.

I gained all the weight I recently lost without eating fast food. For the most significant portion of it I mostly ate home cooked food, although I also went out to eat about as often as I do now. The restaurants I go to are mostly the seasonal, local kind, so no more "processed" than what I cook at home.

It's really easy to eat high calories when cooking at home. It's also reasonably easy to cook in a way that's not high calorie--if you care and bother to do so. It's no magic pill against gaining weight, though.

In fact, I'd bet the main benefit of home cooking as a protection against getting fat is not that the food is somehow less caloric than much of the "processed" stuff you can buy (which varies widely in all respects, including number of calories and how nutrient dense it is, such that generalizing about it makes no sense). Instead, it's that it takes work to cook something, whereas if you buy stuff it's easier to snack constantly.

that's quite possible. i'm thinking of france, again, though, with their lower obesity rates (compared to many western countries) but high-cal deliciousness. their children are thinner, too, and i doubt they're doing the bulk of the cooking and shopping. the kids are gaining, though, and it's thought the fact that they're snacking more does have something to do with it (vs. 3 squares), along with fast food.

There is also activity levels and portion sizes to consider.
  • deviboy1592
    deviboy1592 Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    When I began, I was advised to eat healthy, exercise and not worry about anything else. I had special restrictions in addition to that, but could eat all the fruits and veggies my little heart desired.

Without logging, counting, weighing myself or doing any of the things that are so common for weight loss, I lost my first forty pounds. I was shocked when I found out how much I'd lost. Since my clothes got bigger and too big, I knew I'd lost, but was FLOORED by forty pounds. I literally got off and back on the scale and considered that I might've been weighed wrong in the first place, but it would've required like a dozen people doing it wrong in six or eight different places, so there was no error.

If you eat only the healthiest of foods - all healthy, all the time - it's really hard to overeat. You'll see people here asking about how to get to 1200 eating only the healthiest of food. While it's theoretically possible, it would be very difficult to gain weight eating All Healthy, All The Time.
    I completely disagree with this. There are too many high calorie choices that could be considered "healthy". If I ate grass fed steak, eggs, almonds/almond butter, milk, avocados, coconut oil, bananas, natural peanut butter, oats, granola, etc I could easily eat above my maintenance, and my maintenance is over 3000 calories. Someone with a smaller maintenance could do it even easier.

I guess, but really, who's going to have a steak-egg-avocado-peanut butter sandwich?

Fact is, when people mostly ate nothing but home-cooked meals, fewer people were overweight. Fact is, wherever the fast food industry takes hold, obesity rates rise in previously normal-weight populations.

I gained all the weight I recently lost without eating fast food. For the most significant portion of it I mostly ate home cooked food, although I also went out to eat about as often as I do now. The restaurants I go to are mostly the seasonal, local kind, so no more "processed" than what I cook at home.

It's really easy to eat high calories when cooking at home. It's also reasonably easy to cook in a way that's not high calorie--if you care and bother to do so. It's no magic pill against gaining weight, though.

In fact, I'd bet the main benefit of home cooking as a protection against getting fat is not that the food is somehow less caloric than much of the "processed" stuff you can buy (which varies widely in all respects, including number of calories and how nutrient dense it is, such that generalizing about it makes no sense). Instead, it's that it takes work to cook something, whereas if you buy stuff it's easier to snack constantly.

that's quite possible. i'm thinking of france, again, though, with their lower obesity rates (compared to many western countries) but high-cal deliciousness. their children are thinner, too, and i doubt they're doing the bulk of the cooking and shopping. the kids are gaining, though, and it's thought the fact that they're snacking more does have something to do with it (vs. 3 squares), along with fast food.

Wow that's basically everything in the webmd article I posted.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

Healthy eating includes watchingcholesterol, sodium, fat content and sticking to lean, white meats. You won't be able to eat too many of those eggs sticking to All Healthy, All The Time.

I'm not saying you couldn't gain weight eating whatever you choose to eat, just that people sometimes have a really hard time hitting 1200 when doing All Healthy, All The Time.

But I respect your opinion and think the boards are better when there are multiple opinions posted. Not trying to start a big fight, just clarify. :)

Why would non-lean meats not be healthy? Does that make fish not healthy? As was pointed out, nuts (and fish) are very healthy in most people's eyes but they are very calorie (fat) dense.

Bigger picture must be examined, not single items as you are eating them.

I'm just getting into eating more fish. I had 4 oz flounder today. It was only 80 calories according to mfp. not exactly all that calorie dense. am i missing something here?
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options

Sure, of course, lots of factors. Here are some

http://karenlebillon.com/2012/09/17/french-kids-dont-get-fat-why/

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health-and-fitness/health-advisor/we-should-look-to-this-country-for-ways-to-fight-growing-child-obesity/article16891921/

apologies for lack of primary research articles, it's late and i'm tired
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    The number of calories coming in vs the amount of calories going out will determine whether we lose, maintain, or gain weight. This is true whether it is clean food, protein, carbs, fat, or twinkies That does not matter (as far as weight control). The QUALITY of our intake (good "clean" foods) will determine the nutrition our bodies are able to absorb. The best for our bodies is the right amount of good nutritious food but the to lose weight, we can eat nothing but candy bars as long as it is fewer calories than what we take in... I have experienced this many years ago, myself... Too much good nutritious foods and you gain weight... I've experienced that as well.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Sure, of course, lots of factors. Here are some

http://karenlebillon.com/2012/09/17/french-kids-dont-get-fat-why/

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health-and-fitness/health-advisor/we-should-look-to-this-country-for-ways-to-fight-growing-child-obesity/article16891921/

apologies for lack of primary research articles, it's late and i'm tired

No worries re the articles - its more of a discussion anyway.

The first link - its funny, it mentions that most kids do not know the fat content of whole milk - I never knew it until I moved to the States (I am from the UK originally). The point about associating food with pleasure and celebration definitely resonates. When I was growing up, meals were a family and/or social occasion.

It also points to something that has IMO a huge impact, environmental factors, for example, the availability of the highly caloric, palatable and less satiating foods.
  • deviboy1592
    edited January 2015
    Options
    "French school lunches are used as a pedagogical tool, introducing a broad range of dishes, fresh vegetables, and fruits. Strict Ministry of Education regulations ensure that fried food is served no more than once per month, children drink only water at lunch; instead of flavored milk, traditional cheeses or yogurts are served. Ketchup is served a maximum of once per week–and only with foods with which it is traditionally used as a condiment, such as steak. Portion sizes are limited (one piece of delicious baguette per child, at my daughters’ school). And vending machines are banned in all schools. Yes, that means no soda pop, no processed food, and no fast food. Kids learn to like the taste of ‘whole food’. This doesn’t mean deprivation, but rather moderation: sweet treats (like Cherry Clafoutis in cherry season, or Chocolate Mousse) are served once a week. So French kids learn to ‘treat treats as treats"

Sounds like they treated their junk food as treats, with a more healthier intake of good food. Way to go France.
  • deviboy1592
    Options
    "French school lunches are used as a pedagogical tool, introducing a broad range of dishes, fresh vegetables, and fruits. Strict Ministry of Education regulations ensure that fried food is served no more than once per month, children drink only water at lunch; instead of flavored milk, traditional cheeses or yogurts are served. Ketchup is served a maximum of once per week–and only with foods with which it is traditionally used as a condiment, such as steak. Portion sizes are limited (one piece of delicious baguette per child, at my daughters’ school). And vending machines are banned in all schools. Yes, that means no soda pop, no processed food, and no fast food. Kids learn to like the taste of ‘whole food’. This doesn’t mean deprivation, but rather moderation: sweet treats (like Cherry Clafoutis in cherry season, or Chocolate Mousse) are served once a week. So French kids learn to ‘treat treats as treats"

Sounds like they treated their junk food as treats, with a more healthier intake of good food. Way to go France.

So I guess you really don't need to count calories.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options

Healthy eating includes watchingcholesterol, sodium, fat content and sticking to lean, white meats. You won't be able to eat too many of those eggs sticking to All Healthy, All The Time.

I'm not saying you couldn't gain weight eating whatever you choose to eat, just that people sometimes have a really hard time hitting 1200 when doing All Healthy, All The Time.

But I respect your opinion and think the boards are better when there are multiple opinions posted. Not trying to start a big fight, just clarify. :)

Why would non-lean meats not be healthy? Does that make fish not healthy? As was pointed out, nuts (and fish) are very healthy in most people's eyes but they are very calorie (fat) dense.

I'm just getting into eating more fish. I had 4 oz flounder today. It was only 80 calories according to mfp. not exactly all that calorie dense. am i missing something here?
    Flounder is a non fatty fish. Along with tilapia, tuna, and many others they are basically the fish equivalent of chicken breast. 4oz of Mackerel on the other hand is 230 calories. Atlantic salmon is 240. Those are both great sources of omega 3 fatty acids and generally deemed "healthy" sources of protein and fat. Also, someone like me is never going to eat 4 ounces of meat/fish. I'm going to usually eat 10-12 ounces. So if I eat 12 ounces of salmon, something that is not uncommon for me, that's 720 calories. If I'm trying to lose weight, I usually eat around 2500 calories. That salmon just accounted for almost 30% of my total daily calories. Healthy? By most peoples definition, yes. Can it easily be over consumed? It sure can be!
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options

1) that's a tiny-*kitten* portion
    2) flounder is a low-fat fish. Salmon, for instance, is over 200 calories for the same weight (cooked in both cases).
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options

Your definition of healthy includes sticking to lean, white, meats. That's not everyone's definition of healthy. I happen to think eating salmon, mackerel, steak, lamb, avocado, almonds, etc is perfectly healthy. This is an inherent problem with trying to "eat healthy". There is no definition of what "healthy" is. I also find no reason to pay much attention to sodium. I do not have hypertension or kidney disease and until I do, I find no problems with eating twice the RDA for sodium some days. Someone who has moderate to severe hypertension really aught to watching their sodium. While it's not necessarily "unhealthy" for me to eat a lot of sodium, it can be quite "unhealthy" for someone else too. This is why it is an exercise in futility to classify individual foods as clean and dirty, or healthy and unhealthy. It's completely subjective and in the end, it's how those foods fit together in a total diet and how that total diet complements the individuals needs that matter.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

long term? that would require actual thinking, and any attempt at rational thought would bar anyone from sharing that link. 9 items on the other side of that link, and a total of 8 hyperbolic lies. that one thing that's not a ridiculous lie is debatable, at best.

perhaps next time go for the science backed fix instead of the quick one?
  • deviboy1592
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

long term? that would require actual thinking, and any attempt at rational thought would bar anyone from sharing that link. 9 items on the other side of that link, and a total of 8 hyperbolic lies. that one thing that's not a ridiculous lie is debatable, at best.

All the information is the same, doesn't matter where you find it, I'm still waiting to see one article that states that health benefits of processed food, fast food, or what we like to call junk food. Haven't seen one shred of evidence or science based fact other than meeting someone's calorie intake.

And long term take actual thinking? If that's not a useless statement I don't know what is. It doesn't take actual thought to know what's good for you. Just look at the kids in France. Wow some winners in here.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

All the information is the same, doesn't matter where you find it, I'm still waiting to see one article that states that health benefits of processed food, fast food, or what we like to call junk food. Haven't seen one shred of evidence or science based fact other than meeting someone's calorie intake.

And long term take actual thinking? If that's not a useless statement I don't know what is. It doesn't take actual thought to know what's good for you. Just look at the kids in France. Wow some winners in here.

GHoHTQm.gif
  • deviboy1592
    Options

GHoHTQm.gif

Yes we are.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Snacking is an issue when it adds calories (usually) not the actual frequency.

I live in France. Snacking is and has always been an integral part of the cultural make up here. It even has a name. Le quatre heure - what used to kids get when coming home. Children here have a pause at school and get to eat a snack in school (historically might have been the first meal).

The reasons for the rise of obesity are multi factorial - yes, availability of calorie dense food is probably a factor but so is the decline in activity level, increase in transport, etc.

Personally, when in France it is easy to see fast food on every street corner (kebab, burgers, what not) in major cities but a large part of our own cooking and shopping is oriented to open air markets.
  • deviboy1592
    Options

Snacking is an issue when it adds calories (usually) not the actual frequency.

I live in France. Snacking is and has always been an integral part of the cultural make up here. It even has a name. Le quatre heure - what used to kids get when coming home. Children here have a pause at school and get to eat a snack in school (historically might have been the first meal).

The reasons for the rise of obesity are multi factorial - yes, availability of calorie dense food is probably a factor but so is the decline in activity level, increase in transport, etc.

Personally, when in France it is easy to see fast food on every street corner (kebab, burgers, what not) in major cities but a large part of our own cooking and shopping is oriented to open air markets.

What kind of foods are on the rise that could be causing the increase of weight gain?
  • Izzwoz
    Izzwoz Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    It's like saying "if you spend right, you never run into debt" - well, some people need a budget to help them manage and household with their money, me for example. If I don't track what I spend (money and calorie wise), it is easy for me to go over, as I happily give in to temptation. So where some people naturally eat right and don't need to count calories, others do to help them stay right/healthy. Each to their own, and each to what works for them.
This discussion has been closed.