Crossfit Anyone?

Options
Hi. I am thinking about trying crossfit at our local Y. Have anyone tried it? I'm afraid it is going to be hard since I just started exercising and so out of shape. Anyone had any good results with it?

Replies

• keky389
    keky389 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I started Monday and I am extremelyyyyy sore! I have not worked out in over a year because I got pregnant and had my baby 4 months ago(in my pregnancy, I gained 50 pounds).. so I am the definition of out of shape lol It's very intense and everything almost seems impossible at first but for beginners they scale everything down for you. The only thing is , my thighs are hurting so bad to the point I can't do even one squat. I honestly don't know how I am going to be able to do anything today since mostly everything in cross fit is with squats! I hope they don't push me so hard to the point that I damage my muscles.
  • Chines03
    Chines03 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    keky389 wrote: »
    I started Monday and I am extremelyyyyy sore! I have not worked out in over a year because I got pregnant and had my baby 4 months ago(in my pregnancy, I gained 50 pounds).. so I am the definition of out of shape lol It's very intense and everything almost seems impossible at first but for beginners they scale everything down for you. The only thing is , my thighs are hurting so bad to the point I can't do even one squat. I honestly don't know how I am going to be able to do anything today since mostly everything in cross fit is with squats! I hope they don't push me so hard to the point that I damage my muscles.

See, this is what I am afraid of lol. My cousin does it and told me that I will be so sore that it will hurt to walk but it will go away the more I go. How the heck I suppose to do anything else after being that sore. If I join the Y, the classes are free so I think I may give it a shot. Still a little nervous about it. I really just like doing cardio (walking) but I know I need more.
  • Missy022014
    Missy022014 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I did cross fit for months and loved it. You'll be sore at first but it gets better. The results come fast so it's worth being sore for a day or two. I'll probably catch some grief for this from fitness people on here but I would recommend taking some Motrin after your first couple of workouts!
  • colbysheridan
    colbysheridan Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Crossfitter here. Been doing it over 2 years. I love it...have not stuck with a real workout reg in my life, so no one is more surprised than me, and yes - I'm sore quite often...Regardless - you have to be ready for it, and you need to be comfortable being uncomfortable. You'll work harder than you ever thought you could, but will feel great when it's over. And don't be scared - CF can be scaled for any fitness level / age...(I'm 44).
  • Chines03
    Options
    Crossfitter here. Been doing it over 2 years. I love it...have not stuck with a real workout reg in my life, so no one is more surprised than me, and yes - I'm sore quite often...Regardless - you have to be ready for it, and you need to be comfortable being uncomfortable. You'll work harder than you ever thought you could, but will feel great when it's over. And don't be scared - CF can be scaled for any fitness level / age...(I'm 44).

Thank you. I plan to start in February. I'm are ready to see results so I am ready.
  • kellystuart11
    kellystuart11 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I love crossfit! I've been going on and off since March 2014 and it's amazing. Just make sure that you are going to a place that really focuses on form. Also don't be afraid to take it easier than you think on those first few. I took 3 months off and then came back for an AMRAP WOD with 20 wallballs followed by box jumps and I couldn't walk for a few days because I was trying to move at my previous speed.
    But I can't emphasize form enough. For example, I know a lot of places were previously using bands for pullups, but that can cause damage to your shoulders and rotator cuff if you get fatigued and don't keep your form up. Ring rows are a great substitute. There's been a lot of research coming out about this so make sure that your coaches are up to date on their research so that you stay safe.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    They have Crossfit at your YMCA? I thought it was only in dedicated Crossfit gyms?
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I would be leery of "crossfit" at the Y. Smart trainers who scale things down and make sure you are following good form is important to not get injured in a modality that has a high injury rate to begin with.
  • hmcbride68
    hmcbride68 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    I would be leery of "crossfit" at the Y. Smart trainers who scale things down and make sure you are following good form is important to not get injured in a modality that has a high injury rate to begin with.

That cannot be understated

I used to do crossfit WOD's from the main site after an army buddy turned me on to it. The programming was extremely random, and not healthy. At one point, we saw an entire MONTH of shoulder exercises. I came very close to tearing a rotator cuff, and had to go through a couple months of physical therapy. My buddy was not so lucky. He had to have surgery

Crossfit is simply HIIT that has been effectively branded and marketed. It can be a very good thing. But, like anything else, extremism and carelessness can make it a not so good thing. Make sure you scale your workouts down at first, at least until you learn and develop proper form on the exercises. This can take time, as there are nearly limitless exercises in the crossfit playbook, but it is critical to do this, and too often overlooked. The idea, after all, is fitness and not injury

If you do it right, though, it's worth it
  • Chines03
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »
    They have Crossfit at your YMCA? I thought it was only in dedicated Crossfit gyms?

Yes, it is offered at the local YMCA
  • Chines03
    Options
    hmcbride68 wrote: »
    rybo wrote: »

That cannot be understated

I used to do crossfit WOD's from the main site after an army buddy turned me on to it. The programming was extremely random, and not healthy. At one point, we saw an entire MONTH of shoulder exercises. I came very close to tearing a rotator cuff, and had to go through a couple months of physical therapy. My buddy was not so lucky. He had to have surgery

Crossfit is simply HIIT that has been effectively branded and marketed. It can be a very good thing. But, like anything else, extremism and carelessness can make it a not so good thing. Make sure you scale your workouts down at first, at least until you learn and develop proper form on the exercises. This can take time, as there are nearly limitless exercises in the crossfit playbook, but it is critical to do this, and too often overlooked. The idea, after all, is fitness and not injury

If you do it right, though, it's worth it

Yes, I plan to only do what my body can handle. I will modify the workouts myself until I get used to doing them. I want to lose weight and tone up, not get hurt. Thanks for the advice.
  • Nielasan
    Nielasan Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Crossfit is fun and challenging just be aware that injuries happen in cross-training if you are rushing through compound moves so just chill and pace yourself.
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    my ymca has cross circuit, not crossfit since thats a branded name. its similar workouts. and as far as being leary? really? the trainers at the ymca go through school to train as i'm sure the crossfit coaches do as well.
    i have actually done both, crossfit as well as cross circuit at the ymca. i was more impressed with t he ymca as they took the time to teach proper form where as the crossfit coach did not.
  • SVHOLTZ
    Options
    I started in mid Sept. I am 44yo. I have lost 12 lbs and 10 % BF , I go 5 days a week, just scale the workout for what you can do
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I have personally never heard of Crossfit outside of a dedicated box...for which there are good ones and bad ones and they should be shopped given the substantial deviations from box to box.

Are you sure it's really Crossfit? Is it a boot camp maybe? That would make more sense. If it is CF, have you looked into the qualifications of the coaches...what is there experience in the Olympic lifts? What is their philosophy...do they emphasize form over speed and weight or do they just want you to do as many reps as possible of very technical lifts in a given amount of time?

There are a lot of things to consider here...it's not really as simple as CF, yeah or nay.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I have personally never heard of Crossfit outside of a dedicated box...for which there are good ones and bad ones and they should be shopped given the substantial deviations from box to box.

Are you sure it's really Crossfit? Is it a boot camp maybe? That would make more sense. If it is CF, have you looked into the qualifications of the coaches...what is there experience in the Olympic lifts? What is their philosophy...do they emphasize form over speed and weight or do they just want you to do as many reps as possible of very technical lifts in a given amount of time?

There are a lot of things to consider here...it's not really as simple as CF, yeah or nay.

^This

I'm thinking it's a boot camp class. I've never seen a Y with enough barbells, bumper plates or even pull-up rigs to accommodate CrossFit.
  • thoseAmericanthighs
    Options
    Been crossfitting for 5 years now. If you seek like minded people, search out the group Crossfit Love rather than the forums when you have questions
  • noexcusesjustresults2014
    noexcusesjustresults2014 Posts: 212 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Hi. I am thinking about trying crossfit at our local Y. Have anyone tried it? I'm afraid it is going to be hard since I just started exercising and so out of shape. Anyone had any good results with it?

A quality instructor will customize the class to people of all levels. If there is a beginner class available, take that first (to learn proper form for the basic movements) otherwise don't worry about it. Most classes will have several people in your same position
  • ljh2015
    ljh2015 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    For the cross fitters out there, how do you log your exercise in my fitness pal? It seems too cumbersome to log every weight lifting move. Plus there is some cardio involved. Tips appreciated!!
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    ljh2015 wrote: »
    For the cross fitters out there, how do you log your exercise in my fitness pal? It seems too cumbersome to log every weight lifting move. Plus there is some cardio involved. Tips appreciated!!

It's not going to be perfect.

I wore a chest strap HRM for a year. Averaged about 350 for an hour class, which included warm up, strength and the WOD. Hero WODs came in between 400-500.