The Fast Diet

Options
I have been using the Fast Diet for the past two weeks. I've already dropped six pounds! Anyone else out there having success with this? Any tips for those of us new to this?

Replies

• healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    If you're losing "fast" on the Fast Diet, you may gain it back even faster!
    Is this diet sustainable? Is it cutting out major food groups?
    All you really need is a reasonable deficit.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

BAM!
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options

^^ what she said. The slower the weight loss the more permanent it tends to be
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    This is also known as the 5:2 diet. You'll have better look using that term around here. A lot of people use it and succeed with it, and other IF protocols.
  • bogwoppt1
    bogwoppt1 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Revcminor wrote: »
    I have been using the Fast Diet for the past two weeks. I've already dropped six pounds! Anyone else out there having success with this? Any tips for those of us new to this?

Lots of people do it. My tip would be to plan your meals ahead. Look at high nutrition foods and filling foods.

• _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Fast as in quick or fast as in fasting? Either way, I don't like the sound of that. Yet another fad diet.
  • jeffwright773981
    jeffwright773981 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Just the term "diet" makes me bristle, because it implies that you're doing something for a short period of time to achieve some goal weight without making any long-term changes on the inside. Better to embrace a all-around healthy lifestyle and make it your own. You want something sustainable that will also have you look at your current habits and see how you can change those for the better if they're not serving you. I found that moving *toward* a desired state (e.g. "optimal health" and "feeling great"), instead of moving *away from* a undesirable state (e.g. being overweight) was the key for me.
  • StunningLegerity
    StunningLegerity Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I lost a large chunk (probably 35-40 out of 50 pounds lost) on 5:2. People say it's not sustainable and you don't learn good food habits, but one thing it really taught me was how to handle hunger. I was able to seamlessly transfer off of fast days to a sustainable calorie deficit every day. Do what works best for you!
  • ens102
    ens102 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I tried but found it was not sustainable for me, I do know people who have done well and maintain a weekly fast as part of a healthy diet. I founf I used fasting as an excuse to eat badly on other days, normally I try and just keep control of my calories now - it's taking longer to get there but it seems easier to me in the long run.
  • golfgirl15
    golfgirl15 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I was on 5:2 fast diet by Dr Mosley. My cardiologist suggested it not only to lose weight but to get your numbers back to normal. I lost a few pounds upfront on it but you won't lose weight without exercise. I have been battling low D for 2 years. Once I went on this my D was normal again and I had tried everything and I live in Arizona. My cholesterol #'s were amazing as well.
  • GretchenB02
    GretchenB02 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't go too much over on your eating days. I did it for four months really decreased my cravings, got me over a plateau.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Calm down everybody!
    Fast as in intermittent fasting - not fast as in rapid weight loss. It's actually quite a slow and steady weight loss regime with a moderate weekly calorie restriction if done properly.
    http://thefastdiet.co.uk/

OP - Hope you are eating sensibly on your five normal days and not restricting calories on those days as well as the two low days?

Worth checking out the two 5:2 groups on here.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Is this a diet where you do everything quickly?
  • butterflyburn
    butterflyburn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am doing it and it is working
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    If it will make me faster, I'm in. Oh, wait...
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Fast as in quick or fast as in fasting? Either way, I don't like the sound of that. Yet another fad diet.

I came here to say the exact same thing (*)
  • NickDuffy
    NickDuffy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You should note... eating less carbohydrates WILL reduce your body-weight purely on it's impact on the amount of water retention your body holds.. (which is why all the magazine mental diets, which some of you may have done, make you loose "weight" yet it seems odd you put it straight back on within days of eating as you did normally).

Don't be fooled by brainwash marketing.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    It's not a low carb diet or a fad diet or a crash diet. It's based on years of study at the University of Illinois and elsewhere. There are multiple books written on it and it's been around and respected as legitimate for maybe 8-10 years.
  • lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I have been IF using the 16:8 diet. Basically I only eat between the hours of 1pm-8pm. I like that I am not always hungry and/or sluggish around 3pm. I also feel more focused & alert in the morning. BUT, I have to work on getting enough calories & macros that I need. Honestly, I feel like I have more control over food intake & that is huge for me. Good luck to you!
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I "fast" between the hours of 9PM and 5AM every single day. I'm too busy sleeping to eat.

Too bad meal timing is irrelevant.