Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    EWJLang wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    A diabetic does not process honey any differently than refined sugar. One is refined by the honey bee. Sugars from fruit are slowed down by the added fiber and are therefore safer for the diabetic (in moderation). There is so much misinformation here. I would advise recently diagnosed insulin resistant and pre-diabetic people to erase their brains of anything read here and take a class on diabetic menu planning.

I grew up in the West Indies where they grow sugar cane. I imagine it would take a while to chew out the sugar straight from the cane, which would slow it's absorption. Not to mention wear down the teeth. I've tried.

What about the people that don't have diabetes? Because it seems like every time a sugar conversation comes up we hear "In diabetics and insulin resistant" but what about the non?

People without The Beetus can safely eat sugars according to their psychological preferences. So, you know, if it causes you emotional turmoil, don't eat it. But, even if you are trying to lose weight, if it fits in your calorie plan, it won't cause you to gain wait any more than any other type of food with the same calorie total.

The diabetic and insulin resistant caveat "keeps coming up" because that is the only biological reason to cut sugar.

So then why does it need to end up at diabetes every time people start with the whole fruit is good, refined sugar is bad or fructose alarmist come up. Someone says they are addicted or generally wants to reduce it because they "know" it's bad for us, a bunch of people come in and say it's not, then people pop in..........Diabetes!!!! All roads seem to lead to diabetes.

Why are the responses from the "sugar is sugar" crowd is the same whether someone says " I know it's bad for us", or "I know it's bad for me"? As if responders have a clue what is bad for someone else.

the rebuttal doesn't change just because the the question comes in a different form.

And as we always say- outside of medical conditions- it's not relevant.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    A diabetic does not process honey any differently than refined sugar. One is refined by the honey bee. Sugars from fruit are slowed down by the added fiber and are therefore safer for the diabetic (in moderation). There is so much misinformation here. I would advise recently diagnosed insulin resistant and pre-diabetic people to erase their brains of anything read here and take a class on diabetic menu planning.

I grew up in the West Indies where they grow sugar cane. I imagine it would take a while to chew out the sugar straight from the cane, which would slow it's absorption. Not to mention wear down the teeth. I've tried.

What about the people that don't have diabetes? Because it seems like every time a sugar conversation comes up we hear "In diabetics and insulin resistant" but what about the non?

People without The Beetus can safely eat sugars according to their psychological preferences. So, you know, if it causes you emotional turmoil, don't eat it. But, even if you are trying to lose weight, if it fits in your calorie plan, it won't cause you to gain wait any more than any other type of food with the same calorie total.

The diabetic and insulin resistant caveat "keeps coming up" because that is the only biological reason to cut sugar.

So then why does it need to end up at diabetes every time people start with the whole fruit is good, refined sugar is bad or fructose alarmist come up. Someone says they are addicted or generally wants to reduce it because they "know" it's bad for us, a bunch of people come in and say it's not, then people pop in..........Diabetes!!!! All roads seem to lead to diabetes.

Why are the responses from the "sugar is sugar" crowd is the same whether someone says " I know it's bad for us", or "I know it's bad for me"? As if responders have a clue what is bad for someone else.

the rebuttal doesn't change just because the the question comes in a different form.

There is no way you could know that.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    what if someone has a medical condition?

you're absoulutely correct- which is why- the rest of us do a double facepalm when people broach a topic/ask a question and five pages later go "oh by the way I have X, Y and Z that I'm allergic and intolerent to"

• Need2Exerc1se
    edited January 2015
    Options
    what if someone has a medical condition?

No, whether sugar is bad beyond a medical condition. Whether it triggers binges or bloating or anything else besides disease complications. There are numerous reasons outside a medical condition that sugar might be bad for me. Bad is not inherently linked to disease.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

So outside of a medical condition how would sugar be bad for skmeone?

Personal preference. Personal beliefs. Personal psycohology. Personal opinion.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

I don't think anyone disputes that there are medical reasons why sugar can be physically bad for some people (with the exception of those who say it is physically bad for ALL people but any general GIS will disprove that notion). The debate seems to center around psychological effects. Is sugar acting like a drug causing a person to crave more because of the pleasure they get from it? I don't know the answer to that. Perhaps it does, perhaps it is just an excuse for a lack of self control.

• krysmuree
    krysmuree Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    After tracking sugar since the beginning but having healthy levels and a clean blood panel, I've decided to track fiber instead of sugar. :) Thanks for posting what you guys have done.
  • JoRocka
    Options

None of that means the way your body processes is any different.

those are all PERSONAL opinions. NO actual reality about how something works.

I personally hate that 2 +2 is 4.
    I wish it was 5- but it's not. So my personal opinion doesn't impact the math at all.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Personal everything you just listed and something being physically bad for them is 2 different things. Nice try.

LOL I see what you did there.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    After tracking sugar since the beginning but having healthy levels and a clean blood panel, I've decided to track fiber instead of sugar. :) Thanks for posting what you guys have done.

That sounds good! You obviously found the balance and are doing well without the daily information. I did the same thing. Once in a while I will go to my reports and bring up the sugars one for 90 days. So far, I always average out close to my target.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Personal everything you just listed and something being physically bad for them is 2 different things. Nice try.

LOL I see what you tried there.

Nice back pedal.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Peque1130 wrote: »
    So according to MFP, I should only take in 27g of sugar a day. For breakfast I had a banana shake (1 cup of 2% milk, 1 banana) that put me at 28g....how am I supposed to NOT consume any more sugar when it is only 9am????

Yes, I know I should worry more about eating my calories and not under eating...and that is what I do, but it just made me realize how...unrealistic?...some things can be. Fruit has so much sugar in it yet we are supposed to base our 'healthy diets' on fruits and vegetables.

I do not base my eating on the grams of sugar I consume, but when it is only 9am and it is starring at me in bright red letters, it catches my eye.

I am eating my calories as I should, I try to eat them all and not go over, which this time around doesn't seem as hard...been losing slowly but surely and I feel good.

Ok, all done!

Anyone else feel the same way?

Happy eating!

Hey by eating all of your carbs at breakfast (not a bad idea for losing weight) you just have to eat Fat and Protein the rest of the day. This insures you will not eat carbs late before bed time.

You are losing weight and feeling good so it must be working for you.

• Oh my gosh i have the same exact problem! Bananas and canned fruits specifically tend to be high in sugar which puts me pretty far over my allowance, but i love them so much! I really only buy canned because it is cheaper than fresh and i am on food stamps... and bananas are pretty cheap. I'm wondering where i get all that other sugar though as I'm not really eating any other sweet foods.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

LOL I see what you tried there.

Nice back pedal.

Oh really? How so? Let's see what kind of explanation you come up with.

How would sugar be bad, suddenly became being physically bad. After I gave non-physical reasons why it would be bad. Let's see how you will twist that around.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    This insures you will not eat carbs late before bed time.

What happens if she does?

• mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Oh really? How so? Let's see what kind of explanation you come up with.

That one is actually pretty easy to answer - you moved the goal posts.

You asked: "(s)o outside of a medical condition how would sugar be bad for skmeone [sic]?"
    The response was: "Personal preference. Personal beliefs. Personal psycohology. Personal opinion."
    To which you responded: "Personal everything you just listed and something being physically bad for them is 2 different things. Nice try." Emphasis mine.

You didn't ask how sugar would be physically bad for someone until after he responded with multiple reasons why someone could have a personal view that sugar is bad for them. You moved the goal posts -- or, as he said, backpedaled.

There are any number of reasons why a given food might be bad for a given person -- religious, emotional, simple choice, etc., that don't rise to the level of a physical problem yet would still lead the person to conclude that the given food is "bad" for them. Jewish people who keep kosher consider non-Kosher foods "bad" for them. If I don't like pizza, a giant pizza dinner would be a "bad" choice for me.

These are all valid reasons why someone wouldn't want to eat a certain food, which was the question you asked and the answer that was provided -- until you changed the question.