Do you still see a fat person in the mirror?

Options

Replies

• Lindsay_the_great
    Lindsay_the_great Posts: 209 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Im glad I'm not alone. I hope that like some of you I am able to overcome my misconceptions.
    I'm happy for those of you who have never had this problem. That's awesome. But it's not really necessary to tell us so. I mean, you absolutely have a right to be proud of your achievement and to say so, but it could also be discouraging to some who really do struggle for someone to hop into a conversation that doesn't apply to them to tell everyone that it doesn't apply to them. This is a real problem and it sucks to have it.. You are so so fortunate that you don't. Food for thought.
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Yes, I still see fat. I am 5'7 163 and still look fat down from 294 last measured weight.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    That's awesome. But it's not really necessary to tell us so.

So ... ask us a question, and then complain about the answer when it doesn't fit what you think it should be.... How nice.

You asked about *us*.

I quote: "Do *you* still see a fat person in the mirror?"

We answered.

The world ain't about you and you personal demons/insecurities, y'know?

• RebeccaChemmy
    RebeccaChemmy Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Yeah. I always see myself as a fatty. Oh well.
  • mewilmes
    mewilmes Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I certainly didn't mean to hurt you. There certainly is enough pain with body image/weight loss to add to it in any way.

I don't have the problem in the mirror, but in photographs yes. I just don't understand how my mind can see myself so differently. I know the camera adds ten, but in photographs I think the camera is adding all 30 pounds that I've lost. It is disorienting.

Best of luck to all of us in this journey.
  • xX_PhoenixRising_Xx
    xX_PhoenixRising_Xx Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I've lost 156lbs. Some days I feel really thin and don't recognise my reflection if I see myself. Some days I still feel really fat. I've managed to stop going for the larger sizes on the clothing rack, and I can pick up the equivalent of a US 4 or 6 and know it will fit (I'm in Australia so our sizes are different, I'm an 8 or 10 here). It's just that I don't see myself as having that size body.

Putting photos side by side helps, like my profile pic. And if I do pretend that the "now" photo isn't me, I'm much more objective.
  • joann
    joann Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I have lost 61 pounds and when I go to the store to look for new clothes I get in the dressing room and look at myself and think they are trick mirrors to make you look good to buy more...I know I have gone down almost 6 sizes but I do not see that I see all my faults..and have to admit I ask myself where did my boobs go hahahaha9h9py21ibeyu.jpg
  • 1961dublin
    1961dublin Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I had to take a video for work a few days ago. My body was well covered up with a cardigan and loose scarf etc. I didnt look very thin or fat either, but I got a shock with my neck and chin!! I still have a big double chin, even though I am around the 24 BMI stage. That was very disappointing. It makes me look so old. It didnt help that I was looking down at some documents in the video. Anyone got a cure for fat neck? I never had this problem before, even when I was 2 stone heavier!! And even around my eyes looked fat and puffy. Yuk!!! Maybe this is what happens at 53 years old?
  • adamg351973
    adamg351973 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I feel you on that i lost 75 pounds bout two years ago , I still struggle looking at myself in the mirror, i tell people all the time how people treat you differently when your fat and skinny its sometimes gets hard to deal with , I did a 180 from when I was fat too now where I'm at I dress very good I've tried to work on my perception of myself, still alot of work on the perception part ,but its a double edge sword sometimes, trying to maintain that humble and confidence is a fine balance. especially of women that I used to think your way out of my league and now they think that I'm out of their league and tell me how good looking i am ,leaning to take compliments at face value has been a struggle but I digress it's all a journey so with that said I think reality is always perception so that's what I do is I try to work on my perception and hopefully change my reality
  • loseit62505
    loseit62505 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    mewilmes wrote: »
    I think I'm thin when I look at myself in the mirror but when people take photographs, oh my! I am still in the overweight category and maybe I won't ever look good in pictures. All my clothes are swimming on me, maybe if I got the right size I would see myself as heavier. So maybe if you have some of your bigger sizes around you could try them on and then look in the mirror. You'd see that you are smaller. Good luck!

• ourtruelovewillneverdie
    Options
    I do. My bad thoughts always seem to come when I'm bloated for the week before and during my cycle. I'm a 4/6 and 133 and even though I know I've come a long way from my heaviest of 255 I still feel like the big girl sometimes.
  • Hi, congrats - that's awesome! But a US 4-6 is teeny tiny! It could be a condition called Body Dysmporhic Disorder and you could benefit from talking to the doctor! Seriously! I lost 40 lbs and still wasnt happy - so I kept losing, I was wasnt seeing change in the mirror due to BDD and ended up in a clinic - oops! x
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I think I have the problem more reverse- when at my heaviest- I don't think I saw myself in the mirror as "that heavy" until I saw a picture. Now, I take a selfie every once in a while, for whatever reason my perspective is different. Not sure if that makes sense.

Same here. I think in my head I've always been around a size 14...whether I was really size 24 or (current) 10. It's hard to fully grasp when I look at photos and see that I was so much larger and am now smaller, because I feel very much the same most of the time.

I also still have weird moments. Seated and nude my body looks like it's still 300 lb to me as I glance down at myself. But when I am wearing skinny jeans and boots I have started to think man, maybe my thighs are really too small, and my friend was making fun of my wrists the other day (in a nicer way) saying they look like they would just snap in half because they are so tiny. It's a mindf***

Only in the past few months have I really become comfortable going into any store and shopping. 99% of stores carry my current size (especially since I live in the Midwest so I'm not shopping high end designers) but for a very long time I felt like the clerks were staring at me and thinking, "WHAT is that plus size lady doing in here!??" I guess because I was always plus sized since my teens and now in my late 30's it's hard to grasp that I don't even wear the largest size in most regular & even junior stores. I feel like somehow that just happened overnight and I didn't know how to process it for a long time.
  • BrittTomore87
    BrittTomore87 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I feel like I actually look good when I'm standing in the mirror and have clothes on but when I take my clothes off I see a totally different person. I'm not at goal yet I have 15-20 more lbs to lose but to others I look 'normal'. I feel like the insecurity I had before I started to lose is staying with me. Even If I'm having a good body-weight day I find something else to hate like my nose or hips.
  • Lindsay_the_great
    edited January 2015
    Options
    That's awesome. But it's not really necessary to tell us so.

So ... ask us a question, and then complain about the answer when it doesn't fit what you think it should be.... How nice.

Yes. When someone is being impolite I call them on it. I have 5 kids. I don't go for that nonsense. Being insensitive in a weight loss community is very impolite. I can't stop you from being insensitive but I can certainly tell you how I feel about it. And you can do the same. Isn't it nice how that works? No hard feelings on my side. Keep at your hard work and be proud. But maybe also consider the feelings of those for whom the journey is a little rougher?
  • AmigaMaria001
    AmigaMaria001 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I think it's easier to lose the weight than to lose that "Fat Girl" complex. I know by the size of my clothes, the scale and the mirror that I am finally thin - but I still have that "Fat Girl" mentality. I caught myself cracking a fat joke about myself the other day when a cousin called me on it. Hard to break old habits, but we can do it. together.
  • Lindsay_the_great
    Options
    Hi, congrats - that's awesome! But a US 4-6 is teeny tiny! It could be a condition called Body Dysmporhic Disorder and you could benefit from talking to the doctor! Seriously! I lost 40 lbs and still wasnt happy - so I kept losing, I was wasnt seeing change in the mirror due to BDD and ended up in a clinic - oops! x

I really don't think I am in danger. Maybe there's a hint of BDD going on, but I am not in danger of extreme measures to get smaller. I don't want to be a stick insect. I just want to learn to see my progress and not my unmet expectations in the mirror.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Im glad I'm not alone. I hope that like some of you I am able to overcome my misconceptions.
    I'm happy for those of you who have never had this problem. That's awesome. But it's not really necessary to tell us so. I mean, you absolutely have a right to be proud of your achievement and to say so, but it could also be discouraging to some who really do struggle for someone to hop into a conversation that doesn't apply to them to tell everyone that it doesn't apply to them. This is a real problem and it sucks to have it.. You are so so fortunate that you don't. Food for thought.

I know you said it was rude for people to say they don't have this problem and they are discouraging people who do. But I can't say I agree after reading this thread.

It could also be seen as discouraging if everyone said 'me too'.

It is encouraging to ME to see people say 'yeah, I had that, but I got over it'. Hope is a good thing. And that's what I'm reading.
  • CarolWhoDat
    CarolWhoDat Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It is an odd phenomenon. There was a time, while wearing a size 20, that I said to myself, "If only I was back in a size 12, I'd be happy." Now I am finally back in a 12, but I still see a very large stomach and back fat!! I will keep going until I'm in a size 10. Will I be happy then? Hmmm...I don't know. An average BMI will have to be my guide, since I can't trust my eyesight anymore!
  • ajnb88
    ajnb88 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Yes. Level differs day to day, with what I'm wearing, but yes. Especially naked.