Options
1235»

Replies

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    CloudyMao wrote: »
    What academy is this that is so strict that they are acting as guardian to you? If you approach them about your concerns and they threaten you in any way, make sure and document everything and go to the media with it. In fact, I would document everything now, just in case.

I am not bashing the academy I am at what so ever. They have actually made me the dancer I am and I am very thankful of that. They are known for producing outstanding dancers and I don't want to ruin that. Grateful I have the opportunity to train there

Again, your body has to carry you far past this career. I'm not saying bash them now. But if they urge that you lose weight and you don't, what happens? Will they kick you out, stop giving you leads? Treat you differently? Threaten to give you a bad rep? If so, you will need legal runs if that happens and documenting their general abuse (encouraging someone to starve themselves qualifies as abuse) will keep them from further subjecting you to their manipulations. Because clearly, they don't care one iota about your life or your health.

I second this so hard, all of this.

One of my friends parents (who has a serious ED) is suing them. I think they may start to make changes in the upcoming semester or for the SI

If someone files a lawsuit against them, they will no longer be open. They will be forced to shut down... Which is honestly best for you and the other dancers.
  • CloudyMao
    CloudyMao Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    What academy is this that is so strict that they are acting as guardian to you? If you approach them about your concerns and they threaten you in any way, make sure and document everything and go to the media with it. In fact, I would document everything now, just in case.

I am not bashing the academy I am at what so ever. They have actually made me the dancer I am and I am very thankful of that. They are known for producing outstanding dancers and I don't want to ruin that. Grateful I have the opportunity to train there

Again, your body has to carry you far past this career. I'm not saying bash them now. But if they urge that you lose weight and you don't, what happens? Will they kick you out, stop giving you leads? Treat you differently? Threaten to give you a bad rep? If so, you will need legal runs if that happens and documenting their general abuse (encouraging someone to starve themselves qualifies as abuse) will keep them from further subjecting you to their manipulations. Because clearly, they don't care one iota about your life or your health.

I second this so hard, all of this.

One of my friends parents (who has a serious ED) is suing them. I think they may start to make changes in the upcoming semester or for the SI

If someone has grounds to sue them like that, then this implies they have reasonable evidence that the academy is responsible in large part for the development of that ED; this in itself should be a massive red flag to you that they do not have your health in mind, only your short term performance statistic adding to their list of how good x dancers where when they left this academy.
  • bigdancer2000
    Options

It may be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity but you only get to live once. If they are forcing you to do things that put your life in danger, it is not worth dancing there. You need to realize that.

It's more of the pressure of competition and influences of friends that drove me to unhealthy behaviors. Not the academy itself. It's just the cold truth that the academy (as well as other top schools) normally pick, promote, and praise the thinner ones.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter where the unhealthy behaviors came from. It still goes back to the academy and what they expect from their dancers. This is why eating disorders are so common amongst the dance community.

I sincerely hope you seek the professional help you so desperately need before you spiral down a tunnel that is extremely difficult to pull yourself out of.
    I have started a journal express emotions as this discussion surfaced some disregarded issues. I actually used to try to throw up but then realized that is pointless and will only harm you in the long run. I will try to become a healthy dancer and still remain a good one.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    edited January 2015
    Options

It may be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity but you only get to live once. If they are forcing you to do things that put your life in danger, it is not worth dancing there. You need to realize that.

It's more of the pressure of competition and influences of friends that drove me to unhealthy behaviors. Not the academy itself. It's just the cold truth that the academy (as well as other top schools) normally pick, promote, and praise the thinner ones.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter where the unhealthy behaviors came from. It still goes back to the academy and what they expect from their dancers. This is why eating disorders are so common amongst the dance community.

I sincerely hope you seek the professional help you so desperately need before you spiral down a tunnel that is extremely difficult to pull yourself out of.
    I have started a journal express emotions as this discussion surfaced some disregarded issues. I actually used to try to throw up but then realized that is pointless and will only harm you in the long run. I will try to become a healthy dancer and still remain a good one.

• CloudyMao
    CloudyMao Posts: 258 Member
    Options

I don't mean to be forward, but i'd like to direct you here: http://www.b-eat.co.uk/get-help/

I know they're UK based, but they provide live 1-1 chats & they have seriously helped me a great deal during my recovery.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    edited January 2015
    Options

I don't mean to be forward, but i'd like to direct you here: http://www.b-eat.co.uk/get-help/

I know they're UK based, but they provide live 1-1 chats & they have seriously helped me a great deal during my recovery.

And to add to this, please tell a trusted adult that you are experiencing disordered thoughts so they can guide you to the appropriate help in your area. The best option is a psychiatrist/psychologist who specializes in eating disorders.
  • candacefausset
    candacefausset Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I might mention I'm a serous ballet dancer and I have no option

My sister is on the United States Dance Team and she has never been forced to lose weight.

I think it's time to find a new dance studio.

I have auditioned, been accepted to, and currently train at one of the top ballet academies in the United States

Who is forcing you to lose weight? And how old are you?

I turned 18 on Nov. 26th. And my teachers have suggested it and it will show on my scores from the evaluations they give me in a month.
    I might mention I'm a serous ballet dancer and I have no option

My sister is on the United States Dance Team and she has never been forced to lose weight.

I think it's time to find a new dance studio.

I have auditioned, been accepted to, and currently train at one of the top ballet academies in the United States

Who is forcing you to lose weight? And how old are you?

I turned 18 on Nov. 26th. And my teachers have suggested it and it will show on my scores from the evaluations they give me in a month.

So your teachers are advocating for being underweight? Are you aware of the dangers of under-eating?

Weakness
    Dizziness
    Fainting
    Deficiency in essential vitamins
    Low blood pressure
    Difficulty focusing

More like hopefully suggesting. I am fully aware. Am I am conscious on keeping myself healthy enough to pursue dance

You need to speak to your parents about this. What your teachers are doing is unethical and could result in various legal matters.

If you want to keep yourself healthy, you should be eating closer to 2000+ calories a day and NOT trying to lose weight.

I will talk to the nutritionist they provide

I'm a qualified nutritionist.

If you want to continue putting yourself at risk then it's up to you to sort out your priorities. You have the facts in front of you, continuing in this manner will put your long term health at risk, and your dancing will certainly suffer. IF YOU WANT TO HAVE A HEALTHY BODY & a healthy relationship with food then we on the forums can help you, but if you really want to continue ignoring the risks, then we will keep reminding you of them.

Bottom line, what you're doing is bad for you.

It is comforting to know you are a nutritionist. Maybe you could help get me on the right track since I'm clearly lost.

Well right from the off I would strongly suggest confronting anyone who tells you or implied that you need to lose weight. You are clearly passionate about ballet, having got into a good academy & you want to ensure you're at your absolute healthiest - the best way to ensure that is to maintain energy, by eating way closer or over 2000kcal depending on your activity levels. I would also suggest not seeing their nutritionist, but to speak to your GP, and ask if they could refer you to a dietician or nutritionist - this will remove any possible bias on the academy's behalf.

The most important thing to maintain is your own health, it will ensure you have a long term career in dance.

How should I approach them? I live in the dorms at this academy so any doctor I see will be through the ballet. They make the appointments and they take you. So I hope I can contact you for further advice.

You are 18, right? Legally, they cannot make you see any doctor you do not want to. And you don't have to tell them you are going to one either.

Yes. I just fear they would be mad if they found out I went to an outside doctor. I did this when I had foot surgery and they weren't too happy after.

So the teachers were encouraging you to lose weight but it's not really the academy driving dancers to unhealthy behavior? They highly discourage you from seeing any other doctor than their own? I say this sincerely from a place of concern, you have to get your mentality about this going in a completely different direction. It was not just your friends. The academy is more guilty than any of the peer pressure and competitive behavior. They are taking advantage of their status and seniority to twist the mindsets of young adults with ideals that are unapproachable and unsafe. You are idolizing a horrible system for what you think they can make out of you. I guarantee if you are great, you will be great regardless of them. You have to learn to tell people no in life when they are wrong, or when they are silent around other wrongs. If you don't they will trample all over you. YOU have to say no. Because very few people out there will do it for you.
  • bokaba
    bokaba Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Even if the studio is paying the bill, the doctor has a legal duty to provide you with competent medical advice. If you feel the doctor is deviating from providing competent advice, you can report him/her to the state medical board. They usually take this seriously because a reprimand on the doctor's license will usually prevent the doctor from ever getting another job. The doctor also has a duty of confidentiality and cannot inform the studio what you discussed or why you visited.
  • bigdancer2000
    bigdancer2000 Posts: 31
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I would like to close this discussion with the point that the academy will be talked to and the process of installing more appropriate means for confronting dancers has occurred.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,149 MFP Staff
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to provide a brief explanation for locking this topic and my heartfelt thanks to all of the respectful guidance offered in this discussion.

The forum guidelines include this item:

3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders
    a) Posts intended to promote potentially unsafe or controversial weight loss products or procedures, including non-medically prescribed supplements or MLM products will be removed without warning.
    b) Profiles, groups, messages, posts, or wall comments that encourage anorexia, bulimia, or very low calorie diets of any kind will be removed, and may be grounds for account deletion. This includes positive references to ana/mia, purging, or self-starving. Our goal is to provide users with the tools to achieve their weight management goals at a steady, sustainable rate. Use of the site to promote or glamorize dangerously low levels of eating is not permitted.
    c) Photos intended to glamorize extreme thinness will be deleted.
    d) Those seeking support in their recovery from eating disorders are welcome at MyFitnessPal.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,
    Olivia
    MyFitnessPal Community Manager
This discussion has been closed.