Welcome to the new Community design. We know there are some big changes to get used to as well some challenges and bugs. Please check out our post about New Updates To The Community as well as Outstanding Bugs. We will continue to collect feedback and bug issues and will work to make improvements.

Label food for having DNA

Dnarules
Dnarules Posts: 2,076 Member
I've never started a thread before, and probably will regret it, but this just makes me truly scared for the state of science education in this country (US).

io9.com/80-of-americans-support-mandatory-labels-on-foods-cont-1680277802
«1

Replies

  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,781 Member
    :s
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,494 Member
    Sigh.
  • DataSeven
    DataSeven Posts: 245 Member
    I want a label on all food that doesn't have DNA.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,535 Member
    What's the problem? I absolutely positively want food labels on food with DNA in it.
  • Menix8
    Menix8 Posts: 217 Member
    Next they'll want dihydrogen monoxide warning labels on food. Chemicals! Science!
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    I would rather see food that doesn't have DNA in it, showing that it's 100% synthetic.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,577 Member
    That's funny, but not really surprising.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,827 Member
    Okay well when you don't value an educated population, these are bound to be the results.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,535 Member
    edited January 2015
    Menix8 wrote: »
    Next they'll want dihydrogen monoxide warning labels on food. Chemicals! Science!

    The article didn't say "DNA warning labels".

    It said food labels for food with DNA in it.

    Which is what we already do.
  • Menix8
    Menix8 Posts: 217 Member
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    The article didn't say "DNA warning labels".

    It said food labels for food with DNA in it.

    Which is what we already do.

    Pretty sure io9 also interpreted "label" to mean "warning."
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,535 Member
    Menix8 wrote: »
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    The article didn't say "DNA warning labels".

    It said food labels for food with DNA in it.

    Which is what we already do.

    Pretty sure io9 also interpreted "label" to mean "warning."

    They can "interpret" anything they like - but nowhere does it actually say that.

  • Menix8
    Menix8 Posts: 217 Member
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Menix8 wrote: »
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    The article didn't say "DNA warning labels".

    It said food labels for food with DNA in it.

    Which is what we already do.

    Pretty sure io9 also interpreted "label" to mean "warning."

    They can "interpret" anything they like - but nowhere does it actually say that.

    Okay...
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,280 Member
    *whimper*

    Please say you're trolling. Please?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,972 Member
    emdeesea wrote: »
    Okay well when you don't value an educated population, these are bound to be the results.

    Exactly, but with an educated population, you won't have republican dirtbags getting re-elected.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,510 Member
    I am going with 80% of people who were surveyed for this purpose are poorly educated in basic biology.
  • SyzygyX
    SyzygyX Posts: 189 Member
    Menix8 wrote: »
    Next they'll want dihydrogen monoxide warning labels on food. Chemicals! Science!

    Hey, now, everyone should know that if you inhale too much dihydrogen monoxide, YOU DIE.

  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,098 Member
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Menix8 wrote: »
    Next they'll want dihydrogen monoxide warning labels on food. Chemicals! Science!

    The article didn't say "DNA warning labels".

    It said food labels for food with DNA in it.

    Which is what we already do.

    You do? Why? Is that not a waste of ink on your packaging since all food has DNA in it?

    Or have I missed some sarcasm? :smile:

  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,276 Member
    Syzygy wrote:
    everyone should know that if you inhale too much dihydrogen monoxide, YOU DIE.
    And if you drink too much of it, you die too.
    My cousin ended up in ICU from drinking too much DHMO.

  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,535 Member
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Menix8 wrote: »
    Next they'll want dihydrogen monoxide warning labels on food. Chemicals! Science!

    The article didn't say "DNA warning labels".

    It said food labels for food with DNA in it.

    Which is what we already do.

    You do? Why? Is that not a waste of ink on your packaging since all food has DNA in it?

    Or have I missed some sarcasm? :smile:

    No sarcasm. Why would there be sarcasm? Virtually everything that has a food label on it has DNA it - what's the problem?

  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,535 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    I am going with 80% of people who were surveyed for this purpose are poorly educated in basic biology.

    I'm going with 80% of posters will go with an unwarranted interpretation of the facts so they can make fun of people for being dumber than them.