beginning running.... how do you get past the embarrasment?

Options

Replies

• AwesomeSauceTN
    AwesomeSauceTN Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I really feel for you. I was the same way. I wanted to run, but I didn't want to be seen and judged because I was so out of breath. The way I got past it was #1) I want to do this! I can't live my life worried about what other people think. I need to love me and the hell with anyone who doesn't like me for the real me; #2) I realized that most people are actually thinking the same thing I think when I drive past someone running, "oh wow good for them. I need to do THAT". In all my time running, I have NEVER had anyone make any mean remarks. Actually, I remember at the park jogging and being so out of breath, but a passing jogger (very fit) stretched their hand out to me (like a high five deal) and told me to keep it up! And here I was thinking they would be like, "omg look at this fatty trying to run!".... Not at all! I've seen some amazing transformations from running. On my commute to work I used to drive by a girl who was heavy and had a limp but she was jogging, and clearly a beginner. I thought, "wow good for her but that must be so hard with a limp!"... Wouldn't you know, she kept it up. I saw her out there 4x a week and every week she just got faster and slimmer. That stuck with me because I thought, if she can do it with extra weight and a limp on a busy road then I've got no excuse. I hope this helps! Feel free to friend me (:
  • usflygirl55
    usflygirl55 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I understand that thinking. Just know that most people really are not laughing or probably even paying attention to you. My thoughts have always (even before trying to get in shape) been, "Good for you. Wish I had that dedication.". So, in all seriousness, enjoy your run and put thoughts of other people and their thoughts out of your mind. :smiley:
  • stayce102
    stayce102 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My theory is this, next time yell out something back like : "Hey I may be fat but you're ugly and I can fix my problem"....simple :) Stay positive, your doing this for yourself, not for others.
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Judgment and tough love are for the people who won't change their destructive ways. As soon as you decide to get off your duff and do something about it, you'll find there are 100 people thinking "Atta girl!" for every 1 dumb jealous jerk trying to hold you back. Misery loves company.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Please don't let others make you not want to do something. I understand it can be hard. When I started back running I was far from a fit person. I just put my ear buds in a went. No one really said anything to me or if they did I didn't listen or care for that matter. Chances are they are not even paying attention. If they do say something crappy just keep it up...before you know it you will be faster and stronger.

Just to let you know when I started I was 90lbs heavier than I am now. My pace on a good day was 11:45-12:00 minute mile. Today, I am 90lbs lighter and my pace is 8:34 min (5K), 9:15 (1/2 marathon) and 9:30-9:45 (marathon training pace). I will be running my marathon on Sunday.

Keep it up! :D
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Nobody who runs would ever think badly about a beginner runner, let alone honk or yell out of their car window. On the off chance that anyone sees you and has a mean thought -- and most people won't notice you at all -- they're not a runner and you're doing something they can't do, so who gives a *kitten* about their opinion?
  • Davies_EL
    Davies_EL Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I used to see other people running on the street and I never once thought about how they looked. The only thing going through my head was "*kitten* they're brave, it's freezing out here". I started running myself, had the initial embarassment that you're having then realised, nobody is thinking anything other than a weird mix of admiration/pity for me being out in the cold!

Bring a friend with you if you're really bothered - you'll be so busy gabbing and b*tching about how much your legs hurt to notice anyone else ;) x
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    peter56765 wrote: »
    Judgment and tough love are for the people who won't change their destructive ways. As soon as you decide to get off your duff and do something about it, you'll find there are 100 people thinking "Atta girl!" for every 1 dumb jealous jerk trying to hold you back. Misery loves company.

This is a good point too. Here on MFP it isn't unusual to see threads where the OP focusses on the minuscule percentage of negative comments they have received whilst forgetting completely about all the good ones. It is an extremely important perspective difference and key to maintaining happiness.
  • Burghaus
    Burghaus Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Just remember this - you are lapping everyone who is sitting on the couch. Also, is it no an oxymoron for people to laugh. If someone is out of shape, that is exactly the person that should start a running program. If they have a problem with someone overweight, then they should be cheering a person who is doing something about it.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    EricMurano wrote: »
    Keep at it. Think of us, your MFP pals, when you run :)

^^ Yep! We're proud of you and out there just doing what we're doing, too. Chin up, chest out, move forward. Well done!!

• AglaeaC
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Burghaus wrote: »
    Just remember this - you are lapping everyone who is sitting on the couch. Also, is it no an oxymoron for people to laugh. If someone is out of shape, that is exactly the person that should start a running program. If they have a problem with someone overweight, then they should be cheering a person who is doing something about it.

I always recommend to compare yourself to you only. If one sat on the couch yesterday but ran today, one has beat oneself. Pat on the back. Personally I think it is arrogant to compare oneself in a superior way to others.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I love seeing people out running, cycling, walking, or anything outdoorsy. Size doesn't matter, speed doesn't matter. The fact that you are out doing something is awesome! Keep at it! I think you'd be surprised that people that pass you are actually cheering you on. In my area, we honk horns at cyclists and runners in support. We say good morning/good afternoon at everyone we pass. We nod, we wave. I think people are generally very supportive of anyone off the couch and being active. So nod, wave, and say hello. :-)
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    By the way, when I'm really getting it - I mean kicking butt out there - my thumbs go out like Fonzie ... and then when I get tired, my pinkies go out, too, so it looks like I'm Hang-10ing all the drivers as they zoom by. We've all got something ... Do your thing!
  • abcmommyx3
    abcmommyx3 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    Running Phoebe style:

http://youtu.be/E_0Ta_DIWuU
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Nobody is laughing at you. More likely, they're giving you a silent shout-out for your willingness to get outside and better yourself. They're probably even thinking "I should get out and run too". How about thinking about that instead?

I am a runner, have been for many years. Believe me when I tell you that when I see people who are out pounding the pavement with their extra weight, no fancy running gear, obviously having a hard time, my first thought is - awesome job, keep going! I have more respect for people like that than the marathon runners (which you may become one day).

So just keep going.
  • neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I've recently downloaded the c25k app and was super excited to start trying to run, until this morning when I actually attempted it (somewhere I thought was secluded) and cars kept going past me etc and I couldn't get past the fact that people would be laughing at the fat girl trying to run. I know I shouldn't let it bother me, but it made me get to the point I thought I was going to cry with embarrassment and I quit. So for those that have been running for a while, how did you get past that initial embarrassment? I live in a tiny village where everyone knows everything so I can't even tell myself that these are people I'm never going to see again.

Just do your own thang, girl! All the runners on MFP were like that once. I may look goofy, but it beats the heck out of sitting on the couch. I listen to my run mix and tune the world out.

Welcome to the awesomeness that is running!

• glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    You know what I think when I see a larger person out running and I am driving somewhere? I think "Gee, I wish I was out running like that guy/girl. I could use a good run".

That's it. Seriously.

And if anyone thinks somehow negatively? Well tell them to feck-off. You are doing something awesome and they are lazy slobs. I can guarantee you that any true athlete out there will never look down on someone who is out working to better themselves. Only bad people think that way, and who cares what bad people think?
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    SallyLithgow, you're awesome! Everyone feels self conscience at first, but the more you run, the easier it will get and you will see more smiles than jeers. Headphones are a good thing to keep you focused and trust me, whoever may be watching you will be inspired by you. Whoever is watching you and judgemental, has their own set of issues to deal with. Love that "Jiggle therfore I am" video! That is so me :)