Do you still see a fat person in the mirror?

Options

Replies

• LadyLots2Lose
    LadyLots2Lose Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to add my voice to the many that still see the 'fat' person in the mirror long after the extra kilos/pounds have been shed. I'm not quite at my goal (still 6 kg or thereabouts to lose) but, I still head straight for the plus sizes when I'm shopping for clothes. I still see the 'fat girl' staring back in the mirror in spite of dropping 5 sizes since I started the weight loss journey and I still avoid being in photographs as much as possible.
    I guess my brain will catch up to the rest of me at some point. In the meantime I'll just enjoy the surprise that comes with fitting into a smaller size than I thought I would.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    salembambi wrote: »
    ive lost 160 pounds and i still sometimes feel fat when i look in the mirror yeah

but i know im tiny in comparison to before and thats cool

That's incredible. Well done :)
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to add my voice to the many that still see the 'fat' person in the mirror long after the extra kilos/pounds have been shed. I'm not quite at my goal (still 6 kg or thereabouts to lose) but, I still head straight for the plus sizes when I'm shopping for clothes. I still see the 'fat girl' staring back in the mirror in spite of dropping 5 sizes since I started the weight loss journey and I still avoid being in photographs as much as possible.
    I guess my brain will catch up to the rest of me at some point. In the meantime I'll just enjoy the surprise that comes with fitting into a smaller size than I thought I would.

Hopefully, you will have a very nice salesperson steer you right when you are picking out clothes just like I did. It's hard to drop multiple clothes sizes and for me, it meant ditching an entire wardrobe and starting over, because I hadn't been this size since High School... and the only thing I have to wear from that time period was some earrings and my band award jacket!
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Sometimes. Then I remember a weird experience... I came around a corner in a restaurant. There was a decorative mirror on the wall but I was distracted and my brain didn't process for a second I was looking in a mirror. My first thought was, "That skinny *kitten* has jeans just like mine..." then..."What? I AM that skinny *kitten*."
  • siminske
    siminske Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I see it every day. I am 6 foot 8, and now weigh 228 pounds. I want to lose another 18, and everyone has told me that I am too skinny now.
  • EDS_Niki
    EDS_Niki Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried looking at your body but standing on something or angling the floor mirror so you can't see your head, only your body? I know this sounds bizarre but it tricks your brain a little because it's like you're looking at somebody elses body and I think you might find you are way less critical. Remember, everyone has problem spots, we all look "good" with our clothes on, or in good lighting.

Ooh i'm gonna try this at home :wink:
  • TWINSICLE
    TWINSICLE Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have some days when I think I look small and some when I don't. It will always be something I struggle with. I used to be 84lbs at my smallest thinking that. I am now at a healthier weight range 112lbs. At my heaviest 165lbs, I always felt uncomfortable. Im happier where I am at now.
  • carlosjenno
    carlosjenno Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Yes. Welcome to Body Dysmorphics Anonymous.

I try not to worry about it, whilever I'm still in tight fitting medium t-shirts and feel comfy in them, I'm happy enough. All I concentrate on now is being as fit as possible.
  • Dennis4766
    Dennis4766 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Yes. Im 48, and was obese for more than half of my life.
  • Lazz5k
    Lazz5k Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried looking at your body but standing on something or angling the floor mirror so you can't see your head, only your body? I know this sounds bizarre but it tricks your brain a little because it's like you're looking at somebody elses body and I think you might find you are way less critical. Remember, everyone has problem spots, we all look "good" with our clothes on, or in good lighting.

THAT, IS A GREAT IDEA
  • Lazz5k
    Lazz5k Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    CONGRATS ON YOUR SUCCESS. I'm sure its more mental than anything <3 you should be SOOOOOO proud! I wish I was your size
  • Lindsay_the_great
    Lindsay_the_great Posts: 209 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    siminske wrote: »
    I see it every day. I am 6 foot 8, and now weigh 228 pounds. I want to lose another 18, and everyone has told me that I am too skinny now.

...and why exactly do people think it's ok to remark on someone's weight when they're thin or losing weight if it's a no-no to tell someone they're getting too fat!? Neither one should be ok. (Unless you're a loved one and there is real cause for concern)
  • lisele03
    lisele03 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    pkw58 wrote: »
    ...I hadn't been this size since High School... and the only thing I have to wear from that time period was some earrings and my band award jacket!

lol.... this just makes me laugh!
    On subject tho', I've lost about 50 lbs and although I see the difference in my body (face, stomach, etc) I don't feel the difference. Some days I just feel huge and only on a rare occasion I feel "light as a feather" Oh well, I think we all grow into our new shapes over time. I just have to remind myself to hang in there.... tomorrow could be one of those "feather" days....! Good luck!
  • MadMaximus83
    MadMaximus83 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've lost almost 89 pounds and still have a hard time accepting that I am smaller. I don't know how many times I have found myself in the plus size section of a clothing store and then remember I can't get anything in this dept anymore. Or clothes that I know are in my size (Medium shirts/8 jeans), but for some reason I think I can't fit into those...I'm too big. I'm sure my brain will catch up with my body eventually, but it is rather aggravating at the moment.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    pkw58 wrote: »

Hopefully, you will have a very nice salesperson steer you right when you are picking out clothes just like I did. It's hard to drop multiple clothes sizes and for me, it meant ditching an entire wardrobe and starting over, because I hadn't been this size since High School... and the only thing I have to wear from that time period was some earrings and my band award jacket!

I wish I saved some clothes from high school. I'm curious if they would fit. I got down to the same weight as high school, but with vanity sizing, I'm a smaller size now. I suspect that with losing muscle by getting older and dieting, the clothes from back then would be too small, but no clue.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I'm still taken by surprise when someone says that I'm tiny (when I think they're actually smaller than me). I even find that when I look at my jeans on a hanger or a small size in a store, I think they look tiny and wouldn't possibly fit me. But once they go on me perfectly fine, they don't look small at all anymore. (I'm also about a size 4.) My husband is losing weight also now and going through the same thing. Darn brains!
  • jeffd247
    jeffd247 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    My problem is that I have never seen a fat person in the mirror, even when I was more than 120 lbs overweight. I only saw myself as a fat person in photos or videos.

I have to literally tell myself "you're still fat" every time I hit another milestone so I don't just give up. Talk about distorted self image!!
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    First congrats on your weight loss.

Yeah sometimes still see a fat person. I love taking progress photos because that helps me see how far I have come. Every so often though that fat person stares back at me. I think it is because I saw that person for so long my brain has not adjusted to the change.
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I'm down 50 pounds and definitely still "fat", but I suppose I can answer the question all the same. I'm clearly smaller- I've dropped three sizes and am down 50 pounds on the scale. But I look exactly the same in the mirror. Sometimes I even have my husband step on the scale to make sure it's not messing up. I also find myself thinking that my clothes that are too large have just stretched out- like, maybe I didn't wash them the last time I wore them and they're just stretched out from that.

I never took "before" photos, which definitely would help this body dysmorphia. For those of you just beginning- go take photos now!
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    when I don't like what I see in the mirror I take a picture of myself, I always look better in the picture, I feel like the mirror is liar!!!!