Why the hate on Sugar?

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Sugar is considered a major culprit behind the obesity epidemic.

At the moment. By Katie Couric and various others.

I'm old enough to remember when fat was the major culprit. There will be others.

The more accurate ones point to lifestyle and convenience and evolution.
  • hmcbride68
    hmcbride68 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Sugar is a powerful dietary substance, and it is wise to respect it. It is unwise, however to deprive one's self of it. It is one of the many little joys in life. Don't deny your joy. It ain't good for the soul
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    because sugar is evil and is to blame for there reason that people gain weight and cannot lose weight…

and, apparently, it is as addictive as cocaine, heroin, and crack combined..

• melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I dont hate on sugar, but I prefer to eat my calories, so I use artificial sweetners in my coffee, and buy sugar free pop. My cookies/cake/other things have some yummy sugar.
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Watch "Fed Up". Sugar is considered a major culprit behind the obesity epidemic. It is also highly inflammatory in the body, and inflammation promotes disease. It isn't an either/or. It is a good idea to avoid both artificial sweeteners and limit added sugar that doesn't come naturally from fruits and vegetables.

Why would anyone flag this comment? It's dead spot-on accurate. So are several others that discuss the issue from a technical perspective.

When I quit eating processed foods and sucrose, I lost 50 pounds. I've said it a number of times (actually now it's 52 pounds as of this morning). I don't miss it at all. No cravings. I have sweets two cubicles away from me and I look at them and laugh. Then I laugh at all the poor saps gravitating to those foods. Then I shake my head when I see their body shapes - all of them are overweight. I was one of them at one time. No more.

There's no use for it. Doesn't mean it should be banned, far from it. Up to people to decide - but fructose with fiber metabolizes much differently than sucrose or anything that's a processed food. I know people who eat processed "diet" foods and they never lose weight. Gotta wonder why? It's not CICO - it's the issue of processed sugar.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    For years weight loss "experts" have said to cut the sugar, what is the reason behind this? It is only 16 calories per tsp and tastes great. Why is it the enemy? I can't stand most sugar substitutes and can't pronounce the chemicals in them.

Honestly? Because most people get their so-called nutritional information from magazines with articles written with a slant to sell specific products.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    They advise it for weight loss because to lose weight, you need to cut calories and sugar is easily cut without cutting nutrients. They're talking added sugars, not sugar in fruits. It's a nudge in the direction of "eat nutritious foods."

I don't agree with the "Only eat what you can pronounce" philosophy. I can pronounce a lot of things I don't want to eat. What if someone cannot pronounce "raspberry"? Raspberries don't become unhealthy because they can't pronounce it, KWIM?

• Khukhullatus
    Khukhullatus Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    You guys found a type of sugar with no chemicals in it!?! Dear Lord!
  • bmh804
    bmh804 Posts: 10
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Edited. Nevermind.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    They advise it for weight loss because to lose weight, you need to cut calories and sugar is easily cut without cutting nutrients.
    So you mean don't sprinkle the oreo's or donuts with granulated sugar, ok sure.

• eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Watch "Fed Up". Sugar is considered a major culprit behind the obesity epidemic. It is also highly inflammatory in the body, and inflammation promotes disease. It isn't an either/or. It is a good idea to avoid both artificial sweeteners and limit added sugar that doesn't come naturally from fruits and vegetables.

http://nutrevolve.blogspot.com/2014/06/fedup-with-cause-of-obesity.html
  • ndj1979
    Options
    phungpat wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    phungpat wrote: »
    jrline wrote: »
    Ignorance. I'll take real sugar to the chemicals that make sweeteners. Your body can process the real thing.

Processed granulated sugar is not the real thing though. Sugar from fruit is natural and what your body can process, and offers the most health benefit. That's the way to go...cut the processed sugar and leave the natural. IMO

Granulated sugar, whether from cane or beets, is just as real as the sugar in your fruit. It has just been isolated from the plant fibers. Juicing does the same thing to your fruit sugars. Does that make it less real?

Yes it does. Processed foods vs whole foods. That's my definition of natural. Granulated sugard is a processed food. I don't juice either by the way not that it matters.

wait so cane sugar is not real????
  • AbsoluteTara79
    AbsoluteTara79 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Thought this was an interesting Ted video. It's 5 minutes. Bottom line is that sugar in moderation is fine. Sugar in excess is bad. Totally resonates with my personal experience at least.

https://ed.ted.com/lessons/how-sugar-affects-the-brain-nicole-avena
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    They advise it for weight loss because to lose weight, you need to cut calories and sugar is easily cut without cutting nutrients.
    So you mean don't sprinkle the oreo's or donuts with granulated sugar, ok sure.
    Sprinkle all the sugar you want on your donuts. I don't care what you eat.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Why would anyone flag this comment? It's dead spot-on accurate. So are several others that discuss the issue from a technical perspective.

When I quit eating processed foods and sucrose, I lost 50 pounds. I've said it a number of times (actually now it's 52 pounds as of this morning). I don't miss it at all. No cravings. I have sweets two cubicles away from me and I look at them and laugh. Then I laugh at all the poor saps gravitating to those foods. Then I shake my head when I see their body shapes - all of them are overweight. I was one of them at one time. No more.

There's no use for it. Doesn't mean it should be banned, far from it. Up to people to decide - but fructose with fiber metabolizes much differently than sucrose or anything that's a processed food. I know people who eat processed "diet" foods and they never lose weight. Gotta wonder why? It's not CICO - it's the issue of processed sugar.

oh you again ..

the guy that ate 2000 calories over maintenance, lost weight, gained muscle, and defied every known law of physics in the universe….
  • awasko1218
    awasko1218 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I wonder if it is because when you eat sugar, you want to eat more sugar....and then more sugar to feel like you got your fix...and then MORE, coupled with the fact that the average american eats a lot of processed food, and hidden in processed foods is sugar? So it isn't necessarily the SUGAR that makes people unable to lose weight, but the processed sugar hidden in food that you don't think should even contain sugar that makes you crave more of it, which ruins your willpower, and then you just give up and eat the whole box of chex mix? Er, I mean, not that that's ever happened to me.... Just saying.
  • NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Nevermind
This discussion has been closed.