Why the hate on Sugar?

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    awasko1218 wrote: »
    I wonder if it is because when you eat sugar, you want to eat more sugar....and then more sugar to feel like you got your fix...and then MORE, coupled with the fact that the average american eats a lot of processed food, and hidden in processed foods is sugar? So it isn't necessarily the SUGAR that makes people unable to lose weight, but the processed sugar hidden in food that you don't think should even contain sugar that makes you crave more of it, which ruins your willpower, and then you just give up and eat the whole box of chex mix? Er, I mean, not that that's ever happened to me.... Just saying.

so sugar is to blame for binging ..

OR

does said binger have an underlying problem that makes them binge on food to feel good..???

I can already see where this thread is going….which is where they all go ...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Watch "Fed Up". Sugar is considered a major culprit behind the obesity epidemic. It is also highly inflammatory in the body, and inflammation promotes disease. It isn't an either/or. It is a good idea to avoid both artificial sweeteners and limit added sugar that doesn't come naturally from fruits and vegetables.

Why would anyone flag this comment? It's dead spot-on accurate. So are several others that discuss the issue from a technical perspective.

When I quit eating processed foods and sucrose, I lost 50 pounds. I've said it a number of times (actually now it's 52 pounds as of this morning). I don't miss it at all. No cravings. I have sweets two cubicles away from me and I look at them and laugh. Then I laugh at all the poor saps gravitating to those foods. Then I shake my head when I see their body shapes - all of them are overweight. I was one of them at one time. No more.

There's no use for it. Doesn't mean it should be banned, far from it. Up to people to decide - but fructose with fiber metabolizes much differently than sucrose or anything that's a processed food. I know people who eat processed "diet" foods and they never lose weight. Gotta wonder why? It's not CICO - it's the issue of processed sugar.
    I'm overweight? Really? I will issue you the challenge again, want to compare pictures?

come on man, everyone knows that the only way to lose weight AND gain muscle at the same time is restrict sugar, and eat 2000 calories over maintenance..

and yes, the dog is overweight..

put little man on a treadmill...
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,889 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    They advise it for weight loss because to lose weight, you need to cut calories and sugar is easily cut without cutting nutrients.
    So you mean don't sprinkle the oreo's or donuts with granulated sugar, ok sure.
    Sprinkle all the sugar you want on your donuts. I don't care what you eat.
    I see you didn't get it, no worries, just another good example of a little information is dangerous.

• ndj1979
    Options
    They advise it for weight loss because to lose weight, you need to cut calories and sugar is easily cut without cutting nutrients.

i sprinkle magical unicorn dust on mine...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I see you didn't get it, no worries, just another good example of a little information is dangerous.
    It's ok man. Shell never get it

maybe you can start offering classes bro….
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    When I quit eating processed foods and sucrose, I lost 50 pounds.

I still eat sucrose (in moderation--Sabine's post above is consistent with how I approach it). I not only eat processed foods, but find the ones I choose to eat (like yogurt and smoked salmon and the occasional protein bar) quite helpful in meeting my nutrition goals, so think it would be silly to quit eating them. On the other hand, when I stopped ordering Indian food 2-3 times a week, I lost over 90 lbs.

I am going to get SO RICH when my documentary about how curry caused the US obesity epidemic comes out. Can't wait.

Oh, I also have no cravings, although I do still go out for Indian about once a month. Makes a nice carb loading option before a long run. (My stomach is pretty good with spices.) AND, another benefit to my plan is I somehow have not felt compelled to mock my co-workers once.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I wonder if it is because when you eat sugar, you want to eat more sugar....and then more sugar to feel like you got your fix...and then MORE, coupled with the fact that the average american eats a lot of processed food, and hidden in processed foods is sugar? So it isn't necessarily the SUGAR that makes people unable to lose weight, but the processed sugar hidden in food that you don't think should even contain sugar that makes you crave more of it, which ruins your willpower, and then you just give up and eat the whole box of chex mix? Er, I mean, not that that's ever happened to me.... Just saying.

Am I the only person on these boards that can eat sugar and not go off on a Oreo cookie bender? I ate 16 grams of white, granulated sugar in my plain oatmeal and I'm not scarfing all the cookies and chocolate in the container right next to me.
    4vstyiv660hv.gif

• ndj1979
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

Am I the only person on these boards that can eat sugar and not go off on a Oreo cookie bender? I ate 16 grams of white, granulated sugar in my plain oatmeal and I'm not scarfing all the cookies and chocolate in the container right next to me.
    4vstyiv660hv.gif

IDK ..

last time I binged on sugar I woke up in a room full of strippers and my wife and kids were gone….

interesting evening...
  • lemurcat12
    Options

I am skeptical about this epidemic of people eating some ketchup or jarred pasta sauce and then getting a huge jones for cake, but who knows. Lucky for me I dislike ketchup and make my own marinara. (Have never gone nuts for sugar after some smoked salmon, though, which typically also has the "hidden" kind, since it's part of the common process.)

I think most people want to eat another cookie because they think cookies taste good, but I suppose that's too simple?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

Yes, that's it. It's your mastery of science and general intellectual superiority that thwart and vex me at every turn.

And I tried to hide it so well.

Darn.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options
    phungpat wrote: »
    jrline wrote: »
    Ignorance. I'll take real sugar to the chemicals that make sweeteners. Your body can process the real thing.

Processed granulated sugar is not the real thing though. Sugar from fruit is natural and what your body can process, and offers the most health benefit. That's the way to go...cut the processed sugar and leave the natural. IMO

yep it's processed just like everything else out there. Do what's best for you and don't worry about what anyone else thinks. That's just my opinion.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I am skeptical about this epidemic of people eating some ketchup or jarred pasta sauce and then getting a huge jones for cake, but who knows. Lucky for me I dislike ketchup and make my own marinara. (Have never gone nuts for sugar after some smoked salmon, though, which typically also has the "hidden" kind, since it's part of the common process.)

I think most people want to eat another cookie because they think cookies taste good, but I suppose that's too simple?

funny these binges never involve fruits or vegetables...
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

funny these binges never involve fruits or vegetables...

Or sugar out of the bowl, even.
  • Khukhullatus
    Khukhullatus Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    4vstyiv660hv.gif

I think that is what gets a lot of us in trouble; we are naturally inclined to a certain amount of "momentum" in our diets, be that fats, sugars, salts or whatever our personal vice may be.
  • Slasher09
    Slasher09 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I used to have major issues with sugar. I would binge on sugary foods and completely lose control (I am talking binges of days worth of food all at once, not just an overeat). One of the things that helped me to get better was to start eating actual sugar. I would bake everything with splenda and only order sugar-free and drink diet soda. Now, if I want a pepsi, I drink a pepsi. If I want to put some extra brown sugar on my oatmeal or some agave? I do. And because of this I may on occasion have a day I know I really "went over" but I don't completely lose my fricken mind around it either, and I balance it out with days that I even go under the amount of sugar MFP recommends.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,889 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

4vstyiv660hv.gif
    Isn't there more fat calories in an oreo then sugar and the crumb texture adds to the mouthfeel along with the salt for a true standout in the cookie community.......now if it was the sugar that was so addictively satisfying \I would be sprinkling that bad boy with some sugar, or just forget the cookie and grab a spoon and the sugar bowl, yum doesn't that sound appetizing.

• Slasher09
    Slasher09 Posts: 316 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Yes, for some people that is too simple. I suffered from bulimia for years, and yes, even raspberry jam on a sandwich could turn into something terrible. I don't binge the way I used to, but there are times where I will get a taste of something and for a fleeting moment try to snap into auto-piot. I can resist now...after years of treatment. I didn't eat "an extra cookie" just because it tasted good and I wanted another one....I ate another box of keebler cookies with a box of zebra cakes and a box of oatmeal cream pies and a pint of chunky money washed down with cola because once I would have a bite or two of something sweet something would trigger in me. My heart would race, my mind would race..nothing in my life would ever be right again unless at that very moment I satisfied the monster within. I had to keep eating and keep tasting and I couldn't stop no matter how much debt I was racking up doing so (at my worst spending over $1500/m on food), I didn't know what would happen if I didn't do it, but for all I knew I would die.

That all probably seems over-dramatic, but trust me....if anything I'm not even fully articulating what true binging is. I am envious of people who have never known that problem. I wish I didn't have to tell my in-laws on holidays to not send me home with more than 2 servings of dessert (because I could very easily be triggered into binging again), and I wish I could just make something sweet like cinnamon rolls or brownies without first coordinating who I can give 75% of them away to.
This discussion has been closed.