Why the hate on Sugar?

Options

Replies

• Frogtalk
    Options
    Jumping in here, I am on a very low carb high fat way of eating. Going back to May 2012, I was obese, and taking exercise class wasn't helping me get healthy.. I was ballooning out, eating a standard Canadian diet.. maybe a bit high in carbs. I was also EXTREMELY INSULIN RESISTANT, as in, pretty much off the charts... as a type 2 diabetic (I had pregnancy diabetes that went to type 2), my doctor was at a complete loss as to how to treat me medically. My meds weren't enough, I couldn't take other diabetic meds (bad reactions) and with insulin resistance so high, taking insulin shots wasn't an option either. I had just heard about the LCHF (low carb high fat), way of eating, and asked the doc to let me try for 3 months. He agreed. Three months later, the doctor's jaw figuratively hit the floor. On the LCHF way of eating, my insulin resistance went pretty much STRAIGHT DOWN. My blood sugars were stable and dropped a bit (thanks to meds). I have kept on with this way of eating, because for me, if I DID NOT do this, I'd probably be suffering a lot of diabetes related illnesses right now.

Now, having said my testimony as far as cutting ALL carbohydrates, not everyone has to cut out sugar as drastically as I did. I would recommend that if you're diabetic, please, please consider doing a LCHF lifestyle. Diabetics simply CANNOT process sugar in their bodies, and ALL CARBOHYDRATES ARE SUGAR... at least, that's what the body processes carbohydrates into for fuel. And elevated blood sugars wreak havoc on the body. If you don't feed your body sugar, then your body CAN process what you eat without stressing it out.

/rant/testimony/ wall of text
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    carrieous wrote: »
    because it has no nutritional value and is all bad for you
    I think you answered the thread title right there.
    Great. You got chased out of the bulking section, now you gotta torture the rest of us out here?
    What other explanation would be for why sugar gets so much hate?

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Great. You got chased out of the bulking section, now you gotta torture the rest of us out here?

Media fear mongering.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    He actually hasn't been chased out of the bulking section. He refuses to either learn or leave. His mentality displayed in the post you quoted is one of the biggest reasons he just won't succeed there.
    Ok fine. Pls take him back.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    He actually hasn't been chased out of the bulking section. He refuses to either learn or leave. His mentality displayed in the post you quoted is one of the biggest reasons he just won't succeed there.
    Ok fine. Pls take him back.

NO
    :\

• nature0721
    nature0721 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have been substituting honey for sugar. I know it higher in calories than sugar. It natural and has lots of health benefits.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    nature0721 wrote: »
    I have been substituting honey for sugar. I know it higher in calories than sugar. It natural and has lots of health benefits.

And the sucrose in honey is different than table sugar how again?
  • NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Sucrose, also known as table sugar, is a glucose molecule and a fructose molecule bonded together with an oxygen bond. Honey is broken down sugar, glucose and fructose without the bond. It takes less work for the body to digest honey.

And I just wanted to say, I may be the only one who used to have fruit binges, and my blood sugar suffered with it.
  • ForecasterJason
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »

-Fear mongering in the media (usually by some quack attempting to sell something..looking at you, Dr. Oz..)
    -Poor education and understanding of nutrition
    -A desire for a scapegoat. I'm old enough to remember when fat was the scapegoat. Now it seems to be sugar.
    Edit: phrasing
    Ok, here's the thing. People here keep telling me with food, context is key. If you get in all of your micronutrient needs, I can understand sugar not being bad. But in general (not MFP members), who does? Without supplements, there are certain micros that are hard to meet unless one is eating very high quantities of some food groups.
  • usmcmp
    Options

-Fear mongering in the media (usually by some quack attempting to sell something..looking at you, Dr. Oz..)
    -A desire for a scapegoat. I'm old enough to remember when fat was the scapegoat. Now it seems to be sugar.
    Ok, here's the thing. People here keep telling me with food, context is key. If you get in all of your micronutrient needs, I can understand sugar not being bad. But in general (not MFP members), who does? Without supplements, there are certain micros that are hard to meet unless one is eating very high quantities of some food groups.

You're moving the goal posts here, but I'll bite. Which micros are hard to meet? Let's forget the average person who doesn't understand nutrition at all (most people don't know what macros are or what they do). Let's say the average person who makes an effort to meet micros while fitting cookies and cake into their macro goal.
  • ForecasterJason
    Options

I'm not sure I really understand your question.
    I do know your Calorie Surplus thread in another section here is a giant rabbit-hole of excuses and other ridiculousness. Honestly, the answer to your question is probably in one of the pages of that thread.
    Dang, I didn't realize how many people saw that thread.

And no, this was not discussed in that thread. What I'm saying is if someone is getting 100% of the recommended amount of all micronutrients, I can understand there not being anything wrong with sugar. But given the number of people that are most likely falling short on some nutrients (especially USDA recommendations), I tend to think that sugar is not "good" in this case. I don't think there's anything wrong with consuming it in moderate amounts, however.
  • ForecasterJason
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

You're moving the goal posts here, but I'll bite. Which micros are hard to meet? Let's forget the average person who doesn't understand nutrition at all (most people don't know what macros are or what they do). Let's say the average person who makes an effort to meet micros while fitting cookies and cake into their macro goal.
    Potassium and to some extent magnesium.

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,952 Member
    Options

I do know your Calorie Surplus thread in another section here is a giant rabbit-hole of excuses and other ridiculousness. Honestly, the answer to your question is probably in one of the pages of that thread.

And no, this was not discussed in that thread. What I'm saying is if someone is getting 100% of the recommended amount of all micronutrients, I can understand there not being anything wrong with sugar. But given the number of people that are most likely falling short on some nutrients (especially USDA recommendations), I tend to think that sugar is not "good" in this case. I don't think there's anything wrong with consuming it in moderate amounts, however.
    Well duh, eating large amounts of sugar isn't the best way to meet daily micronutrient requirements....Eating large amounts of one thing, any one thing isn't the best way to meet those same requirements........your nutrient deficient with or without sugar.
  • usmcmp
    Options

It's not that sugar is not good, it's that people don't even know what macros are or what they do. That goes back to poor education. That is why people are falling short and why people are gaining weight. That's why so many people log in here for the first time with zero idea how to start.
This discussion has been closed.