Could use some advice!

Options
2»

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    If you eat less than you burn, you will see weight loss, yes.

• Jake587
    Jake587 Posts: 11
    Options
    So my BMR is (depending on what site I use) somewhere between 1800-1900. My TDEE is 2585. So eating roughly 2000 calories a day will lead to weight loss?

• giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    Jake587 wrote: »
    So my BMR is (depending on what site I use) somewhere between 1800-1900. My TDEE is 2585. So eating roughly 2000 calories a day will lead to weight loss?
    Bingo.
  • JohnRHII
    Options
    Muscle eats fat like nothing else, you should find a diet that is high in protein , so you don't lose muscle, and if you don't really take that many calories in now , why diet ? If you just don't do anything and have fat , the workout should fix that. I take in between 3500 and 4000 calories a day. I have a little fat around the middle, but you want some fat to guarantee no muscle loss. When I hit my goal weight , I will cut calories , keep high protein and lose the fat. Then maintain by watching my weight and adjusting accordingly.
  • Jake587
    Options
    Why is MFP telling me to stay under 1,850 calories a day? Is it because I want to lose a pound per week, and it goes to the extreme of dropping me below my BMR?

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Because MFP is designed to input your exercise calories burned and eat those back as well.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Jake587 wrote: »
    This also answers your question as to how much "weight loss" you can expect to see per week -- keeping in mind that it is not always a linear, predictive process.

Generally, -500 a day should in 7 days induce a pound weight loss - say 10 weeks for 10 pounds. Just don't always expect that. Patience, trust the process.

Also, cutting 500 a day can be a little much to adjust too at first. Ease into it by working up to that number - try easing into with cutting only 250 per day for a week before going all in. If you are not in great hurry, record what you eat regularly now before trying to cut - That will give you a baseline to start with to compare to as you restrict calories moving forward.
  • Jake587
    Options
    Do I cut the 500 off of my TDEE?
  • tiffanyaldrich512
    Options
    You can have a shake right before or after a work out, you can eats lots if protein if you want to bulk up, don't work out on an empty stomach. It really doesn't help with burning the stored fat. You have to work 30mibs or more to hack into the stored fat and start burning it. A good idea is taking one to two hours out if a day and cook and freeze you meals to help you stay on track, that way you have no excuse for eating something bad or not wanting to cook because it's already there for you.
  • silversnare25
    silversnare25 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I do a pre-workout like Gatorade Prime, because it's inexpensive and i'm less likely to puke (if I'm doing Insanity) with little on my stomach. If i'm lifting, I can do any sort of caloric intake before working out. I do a high protein shot or Herbalife shake within a hour of post workout. Anything over 15g of protein per meal, the body has a hard time breaking down and using. So you're literally flushing good protein down the toilet. A supplement ( I use Aminogen, again Herbalife) to help with excess protein intake.