Giving up diet soda. So hard!

Options
i gave up sweets and diet soda and it's the diet soda that I miss so badly! I was drinking soda that didn't even have caffeine, but I apparently have quite an addiction.

I don't like spring water and I'm sick of water. What am I going to drink with pizza? Any ideas?

Replies

• noexcusesjustresults2014
    Options
    Why be a quitter? Don't give up diet soda. Its awesome
  • Lynette4321
    Lynette4321 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I don't feel good about all the chemicals. Also, it keeps the sweet tooth going and makes it hard to stay away from sweets.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Why are you giving up soda? If you like it, then drink it. No need to suffer without it. Besides we're talking DIET soda... isn't that zero calories? (I ask cuz I only drink regular Coke never diet, so I'm not sure.) If so, that most definitely fits into your daily calories. :flowerforyou:
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    People make it so much harder than it has to be.
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Lynette, here is a link to an article on MFP's Facebook page written by Elle Penner, M.P.H., R.D., who is the Registered Dietitian and Food & Nutrition Editor at MyFitnesssPal. It is called
    So You Want to Stop......Drinking Soda.
    https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/so-you-want-to-stop-drinking-soda/?utm_source=mfp&utm_medium=Facebook

If you don't have FB, go to this link on this site and it is printed out for you.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10056168/mfp-facebook-page#latest

And yes - definitely give up the soda as I have seen the dramatic change in a person from simply giving up her soda habit. She was drinking 3 or 4 per day, every day. You are right - who needs those chemicals and sugar.

Good luck!! :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »

Agreed.

But my answer is iced tea. I like chilling the herbal kind.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Agreed.

But my answer is iced tea. I like chilling the herbal kind.
    Ditto. Iced, herbal tea.

Keep going OP. It's a good thing to give up.
  • SteampunkSongbird
    SteampunkSongbird Posts: 826 Member
    Options

So much this.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    i gave up sweets and diet soda and it's the diet soda that I miss so badly! I was drinking soda that didn't even have caffeine, but I apparently have quite an addiction.

I don't like spring water and I'm sick of water. What am I going to drink with pizza? Any ideas?

Have you tried moderation?

Why did you give up diet soda and sweets?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I don't feel good about all the chemicals. Also, it keeps the sweet tooth going and makes it hard to stay away from sweets.

I see you already answered my questions. :)
  • thingofstuff
    thingofstuff Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I agree with the home made ice tea, and just normal tea. I drink tea like breathing. Plus the warm water helps curb appetite.
  • LeenaGee
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Seriously, how can giving the link to MFP's FB page be SPAM???? The article is written by MFP's own Registered Dietitian.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    LeenaGee wrote: »
    Seriously, how can giving the link to MFP's FB page be SPAM???? The article is written by MFP's own Registered Dietitian.

Because it suggests giving up soda. :D This place is an asylum.
  • Cheriesaurus
    Cheriesaurus Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Only reason I gave up diet soda was because it made me depressed/bloated for some reason, yet I loved it so now I have it once a week instead of every day. Lol.
  • Lynette4321
    Lynette4321 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thank you LeenaGee and the rest who gave suggestions. Making some ice tea now
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    why do people need to defend diet soda as though it's a huge travesty to give it up? if she wants to give it up, it's her life. i gave it up. i think that water is better. might be a coincidence that i lost a lot of weight and kept it off for almost 2 years afterwards or it might have been the diet soda causing me to eat more. i don't know. all i know is that i lost a lot of weight and kept it off, whereas i never could before.

i weened myself off of diet soda by drinking seltzer at first and then just got used to regular water eventually. sometimes still drink seltzer though.
  • LeenaGee
    Options
    Thank you LeenaGee and the rest who gave suggestions. Making some ice tea now

You're welcome and I'm off to make some ice tea as I know water is good for me but sometimes I just get sick of it.
  • victoriaalice40
    Options
    I still drink Diet Coke. I love it! But, I cut back to one a day (if that) I used to drink a 6 pack a day. I found that the Diet Coke made me crave sweets more, maybe it was mental I don't know. But when I really want a Diet Coke I have one. Moderation, but I agree that it is not good for you, but then again there is not a lot that is good for you.
    I like to drink the waters that have flavoring and carbonation. That helps sometimes. Oh, and with pizza, have a diet soda.
  • katekc22
    katekc22 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I gave up diet soda and haven't had one in over a year!! I had a serious diet soda addiction but tried my hardest to let it go so I know the struggle. I started drinking green tea, and flavoring my water with fruit and its sooo good! I miss diet soda sometimes but every now and then I'll treat myself to a regular root beer or ginger ale but not too often. Also I started making my own iced teas which are yummy too!
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    If you feel you need to give up soda, there's lots of alternatives. Instead of plain water, add some Mio liquid water enhancer (or Skinny Girl, or any of the other brands.) Or a squeeze of fresh lemon or lime. Or develop a tea addiction. Green tea has lots of antioxidants and is an appetite suppressor. Black tea has all sorts of good-for-you phytochemicals too.

Make your drinking water cheaper and help save the planet by getting a Britta filter pitcher. It's about $25 for a big one, and you never have to worry about throwing those bottles away again.
This discussion has been closed.