So here's a gym 'etiquette' question

Options
JoRocka
JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
edited January 2015 in Chit-Chat
Folks out there in interland.... I have a question for you all

Which of the following rates higher on the "you're effing creepy" scale?

> at the gym trying to ninja take a picture of a girl (or guy- not gender bias) in this case- specially while squatting.

or

> trying to take the picture while they are squatting- or waiting for the next set and then saying- oh I was waiting for you to squat again so I could get a picture for my instagram page beautiful girls bla bla bla... you know "to inspire someone"

So we all know the actual answer is- don't be a d!ck taking pictures of girls *** while they squat- but... if you're GOING to do it- which one is more or less socially acceptable/creepy??

Discuss.

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Shouldn't this be in the chit chat fun and games category?
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Option a is less creepy. But really only by a hair and only because you/we/me don't know. So it's less creepy but only by ignorance.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Shouldn't this be in the chit chat fun and games category?

depends on if you think gym etiquette is actually chit chat fun and games.

This actually happened tonight- and I spent the rest of my bench session trying to figure out if I was more or less offended by this guys actions.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I would say option two ..

but I have never had either happen to me., to my knowledge…

• carolinaem
    carolinaem Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter. Either way I would still be reporting this person to gym management. Creepy and nothing I would be willing to tolerate while I work out.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Option two is definitely more creeper like.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    carolinaem wrote: »
    Doesn't matter. Either way I would still be reporting this person to gym management. Creepy and nothing I would be willing to tolerate while I work out.

LOL_ yeah the manager and I had a chat- I was like- I'm not trying to be an a## but I'm not sure i'm comfortable with that- was hard to do my second set of squats for sure.

After doing all this stuff- I was like- you know- I would rather just him not have said anything- that's my personal opinion- because then I in theory would have never known. Now I'm going to be fussing every time he's around me- like way to be an douche.

And yes- I told him no I didn't appreciate it. LOL and no he can't post them up. that's not cool.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    I would have taken out my phone and taken his picture and said this is for my Dbag Instagram page.
  • candacefausset
    candacefausset Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Well I don't think smashing their phone is proper gym etiquette either but that's probably what I'd do.

Both are equal in my opinion. Unless in the action of #1, their ninja skills are great enough that they don't get caught. Because then I can't be creeped out if I don't know of the actions existence.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Taking pictures of people in a gym without their knowledge and consent is just plain disrespectful period but especially so when it's squat or RDL. :huh:
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I would have taken out my phone and taken his picture and said this is for my Dbag Instagram page.
    Boom! Inyoface!

• Sutnak
    Sutnak Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

> at the gym trying to ninja take a picture of a girl (or guy- not gender bias) in this case- specially while squatting.

or

> trying to take the picture while they are squatting- or waiting for the next set and then saying- oh I was waiting for you to squat again so I could get a picture for my instagram page beautiful girls bla bla bla... you know "to inspire someone"

So we all know the actual answer is- don't be a d!ck taking pictures of girls a$$es while they squat- but... if you're GOING to do it- which one is more or less socially acceptable/creepy??

Discuss.

First guy strikes me as a serial killer.
    Second guy strikes me as a creep with bad game.

Hmmmmmmm.

• HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options

I love you.
  • ptrcmcc6
    ptrcmcc6 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    carolinaem wrote: »

I agree
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

or

So we all know the actual answer is- don't be a d!ck taking pictures of girls a$$es while they squat- but... if you're GOING to do it- which one is more or less socially acceptable/creepy??

Discuss.

First guy strikes me as a serial killer.
    Second guy strikes me as a creep with bad game.

Hmmmmmmm.

Lol! Agree! first guy definitely has someone taped up in the basement
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Neither one would be acceptable if he didn't first ask for your permission.
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,678 Member
    Options
    The only real response to Option B is "Pay me"! If he is stupid enough to tell you he is using your image to provide content for a web entity, then he might actually be stupid enough to pay for it.

I actually struggle with this question on a larger scale. I've been in and out of gyms most of my adult life, and I have seen how some men objectify women in them. It's gross and, quite frankly, it depresses the hell out of me. I can't even begin to imagine how it must feel to be constantly weighed and measured based on the personal shaggability scale of what probably feels like every damned person on the planet. At all times. In all places. I would last about 90 minutes before stabbing someone.

On the other hand, I have very strong beliefs about limiting personal freedoms. Freedom ends at the violation of another's rights. Not a violation of their comfort zone. And while the gym is a private establishment and free to set their own rules, any attempt to ban photographing others in a gym would be utterly unenforceable.

There are not many courses of action that I can see that would have even a shot at being effective. You could approach him and calmly explain that it makes you really uncomfortable to have your picture taken. That you are flattered, but you would really appreciate not being part of his spank bank, thank you very much. Or, you could turn the tables on him and start following him around taking his picture as he takes pictures of others. The most effective, however, would be to just beat the living bejesus out him. If that's not something you can do on your own I promise you that you'll have no problem recruiting help by simply exclaiming loudly "Oh my god, why are you taking creepy pictures of me? Please... I've begged you to stop!!!!". Gymbros do love to feel useful, ya know.
  • Sutnak
    Sutnak Posts: 227 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    There are specific laws, varied by state/city, about taking photos of people in places with 'expectation of privacy.'
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry that happened to you. In truth, but are unacceptable, but I guess I would rather not know that the picture is being taken.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    SaintGiff wrote: »
    If that's not something you can do on your own I promise you that you'll have no problem recruiting help by simply exclaiming loudly "Oh my god, why are you taking creepy pictures of me? Please... I've begged you to stop!!!!". Gymbros do love to feel useful, ya know.

Hue and cry is always very effective.