Giving up diet soda. So hard!

Options

Replies

• AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    If you have an Asian market nearby, you can buy bottled green tea, unsweetened, and it is great to carry around like bottled water. I love that stuff. I still drink diet soda, but I don't drink it all the time. This is a good alternative and it is hydrating.
  • RNGRZulu
    RNGRZulu Posts: 3,964 Member
    Options
    Drink a gallon of water every day and you won't be thirsty. Drink two, and you won't have room for soda, diet or otherwise.
  • Lynette4321
    Lynette4321 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thank you Aviva. I was a bit surprised to find myself on the defensive, lol. Thanks Victoria. I'm doing two weeks giving it up (let's call it a lent type thing). I might have it in moderation later but I feel like an alcoholic...not altogether sure I can drink in moderation. I have to keep it in the house because my husband refuses to give it up.
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Ok well at least you didn't give up pizza! I'm eating pepperoni pizza as I type and I'm drinking tea, I love tea! I might add that I did have a huge diet mt dew today though.....sorry ;)
  • Ulwaz
    Ulwaz Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Ill never give up pepsi max! i used to drink coke 7 years ago and havent touched it since :)
    But i have cut down from what i used to drink in fizzy drinks, dont give up everything you enjoy you wont last long on an eating plan you dont enjoy, fact :)
  • beertrollruss
    beertrollruss Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I just reached a year of no soda too. Before last January, I had at least one or two diet cokes a day without fail. I feel like it's one of the best things I did. I only drink water, tea and coffee now. Since I quit, I get fewer headaches. The first 3 or 4 weeks were tough, but I got used to it. I thought the movies would be the biggest challenge. I used to love popcorn and soda. Popcorn and water works just fine. Now I'm afraid I would get indigestion if I had a soda. I'm getting into different flavored teas. I refuse to do the UK thing and put cream in tea.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    why do people need to defend diet soda as though it's a huge travesty to give it up? if she wants to give it up, it's her life.

I think if she wants to give it up she should. Some people probably feel better not drinking it, especially if they seem to drink it to the exclusion of everything else. I give up coffee from time to time since I can get into a pattern of going overboard with it (right now I'm trying not to drink coffee or caffeinated tea after noon and it's driving me a bit crazy, since I was overdoing it).

However, sometimes people think they ought to give up something instead of really wanting to, and diet soda is one of those things where you hear that it's poison or making you fat or silly things that are not true. If people are giving it up for those reasons, and not more factual ones, they might want to know that it's not necessary--for example, that lots of people are able to drink it and lose or even find it helpful.

I don't agree with the frequent advice that you should change your diet as little as possible when starting a weight loss plan, since for me it's motivating to see myself doing something positive, and some of the bigger changes go along with that, so I can see that side.

But, on the other hand, if I had added on to my dietary changes when I started a requirement that I also drop coffee--which happens to be something I can use in place of how I used to use food, as a break, a relaxing taste treat, whatever--I would have made this harder for myself and deprived myself of something I enjoy, for no reason. I actually made the call when I started that I wasn't going to worry about coffee until I was really comfortable with my eating. (And now that I'm close to goal I'm messing with it and might drop it for a while.)

Similarly, I like to give up foods as part of my Lent practices, usually meat plus sweets. This time I did not (I started losing weight last January, so was still somewhat in the early stages), in part because I don't want my practices to relate to weight loss efforts, but more because I thought adding things would make it more difficult than it needed to be when I mostly wanted my diet to feel natural and enjoyable. This year I might well go back to my usual.

So I do think that sometimes newbies to MFP seem to be doing too much at once and adding difficulties that are not necessary (if you really miss diet coke and end up having more trouble not overeating cookies, that's not helpful). However, that's going to depend on the person, so I think it's both useful to present the "you don't have to" ideas to OP and challenge things like "aspartame will KILL you TOMORROW and make you FAT" (not said by OP, of course) and also to respect her decision and answer her question.
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Lynette, I think we may have created a monster here.lol Iced tea is great. I just had a Lemon Green Tea with real lemon. Loved it, I'd forgotten how good it tasted.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I gave up regular Coke (cola) in 2008. I replaced it with unsweetened iced tea with lemon. It was very hard for about 2 weeks. But now I don't miss it all. I am addicted to tea now, though :).

I don't do diet drinks because I really hate the taste. So I was never tempted to switch.
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Lemur, I enjoyed your post, you make a lot of sense. :)

OP has already given up diet soda so at least for her the hard part is done so I think we should "respect her decision and answer her question."
  • auntchellebelle
    auntchellebelle Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I have learned that if I give up something then I am more likely to fail. I can have soda and sweets still. Just not with every meal. Try a sparkling water.
  • Th3Ph03n1x
    Th3Ph03n1x Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Can't help ya I think diet soda is vile.
  • biancahw
    biancahw Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been weaning myself off diet coke. I'm not really worried about the chemicals so much, it was just really wrecking havoc on my teeth enamel.

For a substitute, I've been drinking water mixed with low calorie cordial. Tastes good and still guilt-free :smile:
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    OP, the idea that you need to give something up for good is usually something that comes around to bite you back in the end. It's not really a sustainable stance.

Saying that, if you feel that you're consuming too much diet soda now, and would like to kick the habit for the time being and revisit your consumption with a clearer frame of mind, flavored seltzers are fizzy, unsweetened, and sort of form a bridge between diet soda and water. That's what I did when I thought I was drinking too much soda and it worked well for me.

I drink diet soda again now, but in much smaller quantities and only occasionally. Sometimes it does take stepping away from something and coming back to it again with a fresh perspective to be able to moderate your intake.
  • 1lsttyme
    1lsttyme Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I add a bit of 100% juice into my water. It makes it so much easier for me to drink.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    I dont drink soda a lot...well rare. I love dr. Pepper. But i only drink it when we are out for dinner, or something else.
    I just get so thirsty of soda and get a bad stomach too.
    When you dont have any issues and you can afford it in your calorie allowance i dont see the reason why not to drink it.
    But i also am not against stopping.

Its more a personal preference i think. I know i will drink a dr. Pepper when we go out. I just fit it in my calorie allowance and i just drink one.

And enjoy it!
  • katherine_startrek_fan
    Options
    I was addicted to soda as well and gave it up for water with a splash of lemon or lime and iced tea. After you don't drink soda for a bit, it's amazing how much it hurts your throat if you try it again.
  • beachbum4044
    beachbum4044 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Water or tea are my go to drinks. I used to drink pepsi or dr. pepper all day every day. I started by making myself drink water in between pop refills. Rotating between the too helped, then I went to 2 glasses of water then a soda and so on until I was down to 1 a day. I like carbonated water as a treat when craving the carbination. I used mio or the generic version. ...they have some that have caffeine. ..add as much or little flavor as you want, provides energy and keeps caffeine headaches away. Good luck in reducing how much soda you have each day.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    It took me well over a year to get off the diet pop completely. I was off, then on, then off...over and over. I'd even refuse to buy pop at Publix and then run to the Circle K for a 20oz. It was crazy. Eventually I got sick of having to re-quit all the time and decided to just not have another sip, period.

I feel so much better when I'm off that stuff!! Don't give up, even if you fail. Keep trying. It's worth it in the end! :) I just drink ice water. If I am making something with lemon or lime and have extra, I'll throw some in my water, but usually it's just ice water.

Some people here get very upset when other people make changes to their diet. They'll demand to know why you're doing it. Anything short of a virtual doctor's note (and sometimes not even that) will not meet their criteria for whether or not it's okay for you to change your diet, so then they'll feel justified in insulting and mocking you. They do it to different people every day. Don't take it personally. It's not you.
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Seltzer + flavor

Add mio to Seltzer, or fruit juice, whatever you fancy.
This discussion has been closed.