Food prices that piss you off

Options

Replies

• susanbarkley
    Options
    I don't know the price per pound, but i buy ALOT of frozen bulk at Sam's and Costco. Big bags of frozen mixed fruit, bags of frozen cherries and even found seeded frozen pomagranites. Costco has frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts individually wrapped. You just have to watch the differences of frozen things between the two stores. I don't buy fresh meat at Costco, it is more expensive that Sam's. I buy alot of fresh meats and freeze them. If I find beef tenderloin for $5.99 a pound, it isn't trimmed filets but slice it as thick or thin as I like, pack in zip bags and freeze. Most of the time I season or put marinade in the bags and it marinades as it thaws.
    It is great to fill the freezer but can run up to $400 in one trip but at least you don't need to buy that stuff for maybe a month, just need fresh produce and dairy. I even buy bread or English muffins, low sodium wheat and freeze that so I don't have to buy them that often.
  • noexcusesjustresults2014
    noexcusesjustresults2014 Posts: 212 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Nobody in the USA should ever complain about food prices. We are spoiled here. In fact I wish prices on certain things were much higher (because we should be cancelling certain food subsidies which keep prices artificially low).
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Macadamia nuts for us mainlanders
  • BrownsFan19
    BrownsFan19 Posts: 117 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Beef jerky, honey crisp apples and grapes. Just ridiculous! Oh and pomegranates too!
  • birdstudios
    birdstudios Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Fresh blueberries (AU$10 small punnet) ; fresh raspberries (AU$10-12 small punnet); Pacific Almond milk (AU$8.20 per litre). YIKES!
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    quest bars, greek yogurt, grapes, and right now berries.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »
    Walking into Morissons and seeing jaffa cakes 50p a box, penguin chocolate bars £1 for 12 instead of 9, cadbury big bags of chocolates NOW ONLY £1!! Arghhhh!!!!! Why cant they do offers like these on fruit and veg?!?! No wounder the majority of the population is obese! :explode:

That's right. Blame the supermarkets.

Of course, dont blame the obese person for voluntarily scoffing the additional 3 Penguin bars eh? He/she could have got about 6 bananas or a bag of satsumas for the same price.....

They run specials on produce here in the states. I buy the cheap/sale stuff as much as I can. I got a 3lb bag of apples for 2.50 yesterday, and 1lb of chopped kale for 1.50, and a 2lb bag of whole carrots for 1.00! I just walked right by the expensive stuff- grapes/cucumbers/bell peppers.
  • LifeInTheBikeLane
    LifeInTheBikeLane Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Nobody in the USA should ever complain about food prices. We are spoiled here. In fact I wish prices on certain things were much higher (because we should be cancelling certain food subsidies which keep prices artificially low).

If food prices were any higher I would have to live on ramen. I barely make enough money to purchase the few food items I do, let alone purchase less of the same items for more money. If prices were higher on less healthy foods and lower on healthy foods I'm not sure if people would eat more healthy foods or just pay more for the bad foods...

I wish fruits cost less. And high protein items.

• NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I somehow manage to keep an ok budget for 2 vastly different diets.

I will have to say beef. I'm not even looking for grass fed or anything special, just your avg beef, and I can't find that for less than $6/lb unless I scour on a waning wolf moon. *sigh* And don't get me started on gf bread and other staples. Regular price is $7 a loaf and they are tiny slices.

But I've discovered Aldi and that helps my grocery budget a lot, and their gf line is tasty.
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Pure Maple Syrup. Good grief that stuff must be liquid gold. I was going to buy some at Trader Joe's the other day and it was like $18 for a jug of it. Also, blueberries...they make me sad. I love them, but I can't afford them. :(

...Oh, and oils. The brand of coconut oil I buy is $13 for a little jar.
  • krysmuree
    krysmuree Posts: 326 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Cheese. :( We buy bagged shredded cheddar and mozzarella for a lot of recipes for $7-8 a (big) bag. Buying the bars of cheese are no cheaper. Also, eggs, tomatoes and sour cream. And fresh salmon.

I'm lucky to live in California so citrus and avocados are plentiful and found on sale often but eesh ..
  • kimw91
    kimw91 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Berries, fish (especially salmon, tuna and cod) and nuts are my main frustrations, along with pork tenderloin. Greek yogurt too, actually. And I just find fruit & veg overpriced in general!
  • bethouiseevans
    bethouiseevans Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Quest bars, Coconut Oil, Brazil nuts and Cherries. Whyyyy :'(
  • chloeelizabethm
    chloeelizabethm Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Tuna steak!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Snap peas
    apples are 2.99 and up a lb!
    Dragon fruit - don't like them so much, but they're also 5.99 a pound!
    Salmon!
    Grr! anything at Whole Foods.

Also, on my last grocery trip, I spent $76 on 2 bags of food! What is that about! I'm just buying basics.
  • HaggisWhisperer
    HaggisWhisperer Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    nickatine wrote: »
    Macadamia nuts for us mainlanders

I have had to stop buying macadamia nut oil as it is just too expensive in the UK and the company I did use stopped stocking it - currently coming in at around £8.50 (around $12.80) for a 250 mL bottle. I have to get it mail order as no one sells it round here. I'd love to try coconut aminos but that is so crazy expensive I've never bought it (about £13/8oz/237 mL ($20)). I've started buying a lot of my veg staples at Lidl as the quality seems good and they are a lot cheaper than Tesco or Sainsburys.
  • theholeyone
    theholeyone Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Cherries, could eat them all day!
    £3.50 for a small pack now!
    Most types of berries are a ridiculous price per gram now :'(
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Usually don't get upset with food prices, what pisses me off are the people who shop with welfare, don't work, and have 6 kids. I can't stand that *kitten*.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Nothing. I think food is reasonably priced, and if there is some item I think is too expensive, it's easy to find a replacement.

The key for me is to reduce waste by not buying too much at a time, and buy items where and when they are cheapest, and as little processed as possible. And steer away from hip diet food, but that has never appealed to me anyway.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Blueberries, raspberries, pertty much most berries. The equivalent of $10 dollars per 4 o ounces.
    Avocado. $5 for a small one.
    Protein powder. $120 for a 5 pound pack.
    Low or nonfat yogurt and Greek yogurt. They are 4 times the price of regular and need to drive for an hour to buy it, so I just stick with regular.

Edit to add tofu. I bought it the other day to try, liked it, but unfortunately it will be a once in a while treat because a small single-serving jar is around $10.

Lean beef. You need to drive for hours to find a place that sells it, but then you will have to pay twice the price.