Sugarrrrrrr

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    What I was trying to put across is that eating a whole fruit, although it contains "sugar" has healthy benefits because of the vitamins, antioxidants and fibre that it contains.

And the sugar (not "sugar") it contains is not bad for us. Sugar itself is fine. It's quite often found in foods that have low nutrient density and lots of calories, so you might want to eat those foods sparingly.

This has zero to do with OP's question about yogurt, so I'm not sure why you are going on about it.
    With regard to the sugar content in the yogurts - I was advised by my dietician to go for the ones that contain 3% of sugar or less.

That's dopey advice, because 3% of WHAT? If you look at Fage 0%, 2%, and full fat, it ranges from about 3% sugar by gram to 4% sugar by gram (the full fat has the most measured that way). But if you go by calorie, 28% of the calories in non fat is from sugar, whereas only 16% of that in full fat is from sugar.

Anyway, 3 grams of sugar per 100 grams is about what no fat yogurt has unless you add stuff, so does not support your ridiculous advice that low fat or skim is bad for you. But mostly the percentage thing seems like a dumb rule, why not just read the label. Does your dietician not think you are capable of that and so gives you silly rules?

Also, what happens to me if I eat the full fat with 4% sugar, gasp! Or, say, a carrot with 5% of its grams from sugar. Oh, the horror!
    A programme a couple of nights ago on UK TV about the Tudors, showed how their health deteriorated because of eating - SUGAR!

I'm guessing that they also had less than optimal dental care regimes or dentists (as you admit), so why is this relevant?
    Our modern diet consists of too much sugar and sugar in all sorts of products (hidden sugars).

Speak for yourself. I don't allow sugar to hide from me, so I know precisely how much sugar I eat and in what and it does not concern me.
    There was also a programme not long ago on UK TV that talked about that sugar is far worse than fat.

Yes, that's the current scare. 20 years ago fat was far worse, according to the same sources. In 5 or 10 years it will be something else. My advice: don't get your information from random TV programs that seem designed to appeal to the gullible who are looking for a quick fix and an excuse for not taking personal responsibility. Also, read labels.

I do agree that sugar in moderation is fine, of course, but that's inconsistent with your "sugar is BAD" stuff above. It's fine. But of course anything in excess is bad, and lots of people go to excess with sugar. That's a good thing to avoid.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Cut it down. Go for the full fat option if it's lower sugar. Get your sugars from natural sources like fresh fruit and dairy.

Um, the sugar in plain lowfat yogurt IS sugar from dairy.

Well I mean some yoghurts have sugars added to them to compensate for the reduced fat in terms of taste, as I understand it.

I don't believe that's true. It's commonly asserted, but I think people are confused because this does happen with some lowfat/no fat products (like fat free cookies or other horrors) and low fat yogurt does, of course, have more of its calories from sugar.

I mostly eat plain yogurt, and I read labels, and none of the brands I eat (mostly Fage, I just recently tried Wallaby, various local ones) have added sugar, and nor does any skim or 2% milk I've ever seen. It doesn't make a lot of sense, really.

What is true is that flavored yogurt often has sugar added (although it's pretty obvious, not hidden, and some of this is from fruit, of course). However, this has nothing to do with full fat vs. skim--flavored full fat also has sugar added. There's a local brand I like (not greek, I get it from the farm directly sometimes) that comes only in full fat and I get both their flavored and non flavored on occasion and, of course, the flavored has some added sugar.
  • Fuchsiagenii
    Options
    I didn't make the programme about the Tudors. I didn't make the advert that appeared last night on UK TV about sugar.
    I didn't make up the information I passed on that was given to me by my dietician, nor the facts about fat soluble vitamins.

Didn't realise the forums were so "anti".

I have loved sugar and I love all food and cakes. A few years ago I became glucose intolerant (at the age of 55). Peripheral nerve damage had already been done. These are facts. I now am more strict with the amount of simple carbs that I consume.

My husband refers to sugar as "Poison" and I now believe that too!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Another sugar is the devil thread.

I eat sugary things, lost 121 pounds, eating it in moderation. My doctor says I am in excellent health.
  • Fuchsiagenii
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    YES, sugar is BAD for us.

And for those of you that do not know - ALL CARBOHYDRATES are converted into GLUCOSE by the body.

Regarding the composition of fruit - I am not a chemist and I too have read the web link that with regard to herrspoons comments "There are three dietery monosaccharides - glucose, fructose and galactose. Lactose, like maltose and sucrose, is a disaccharide."

What I was trying to put across is that eating a whole fruit, although it contains "sugar" has healthy benefits because of the vitamins, antioxidants and fibre that it contains. And drinking fruit juice is not the same as having a whole fruit.

With regard to the sugar content in the yogurts - I was advised by my dietician to go for the ones that contain 3% of sugar or less. Now 3% of any amount is 3% for those of you that do not know your maths. And of course, if you are counting your calorie intake the more you eat the more calories you will have eaten, but the percentage of sugar will still
    be 3% of the total that you ate (the carbohydrate of which are sugars will be different).

There was an advert on UK TV last night, with regard to people cutting down on their intake of sugar! A programme a couple of nights ago on UK TV about the Tudors, showed how their health deteriorated because of eating - SUGAR! The sugar caused dreadful tooth decay and because of that, bacteria entered into the blood stream. Their dentistry was not as advanced as ours and they did not have pain killing relief nor any antibiotics. Any rotten teeth were pulled out with no sedation. Most of them had died because of blood poisoning due to getting the rotten teeth (and infections) which was an entry for bacteria from eating too much SUGAR!

Our modern diet consists of too much sugar and sugar in all sorts of products (hidden sugars).

There was also a programme not long ago on UK TV that talked about that sugar is far worse than fat.
    Many years ago we were told that butter was no good for us, now we are told that it is better to eat butter than some of the margarines. We were told that fat was bad for us and now we are told there are good fats and bad fats. The good fats are those in fish, nuts, avocado pears and coconuts.

Eating everything in moderation is the key, but with people who have a glucose intolerance or have diabetes, it is even more important to control sugar intake whether this is from simple or complex carbs.

Eating a snickers bar everyday is fine as long as you are eating other healthy foods and are not glucose intolerant or a diabetic.

Sugar is not bad for us. If it was then carbs would be bad for us. You can't say the sugar in ffruits isn't bad for you because of vitamins and that the teaspoon of raw sugar is bad because no vitamins. That's not the way it works.

We already know how carbs get broken down. You're not teaching us anything new.

Again, you're speaking as if you're an authority on the subject but you lack the pope information.

Also, also, stop flagging posts you don't agree with, they are not abuse. Abuse of the flag system can get you a warning from the mods.

I have not left any insulting comments to any one - so who has "flagged" my comments.
    I am fairly new to MyfitnessPal, and to be honest, I had no idea what the flag was. I do now!
  • DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

Again, you're speaking as if you're an authority on the subject but you lack the pope information.

What does the Pope know about yogurt?

heh heh

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »

I eat sugary things, lost 121 pounds, eating it in moderation. My doctor says I am in excellent health.

If you read the OP, you would see that it did not start out that way at all.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I didn't make the programme about the Tudors. I didn't make the advert that appeared last night on UK TV about sugar.
    I didn't make up the information I passed on that was given to me by my dietician, nor the facts about fat soluble vitamins.

Didn't realise the forums were so "anti".

I have loved sugar and I love all food and cakes. A few years ago I became glucose intolerant (at the age of 55). Peripheral nerve damage had already been done. These are facts. I now am more strict with the amount of simple carbs that I consume.

My husband refers to sugar as "Poison" and I now believe that too!

Really, I find it as useful fuel...huh, who knew that poison could do that. Do you have the data showing sugar is poison? You know, for reference...not "this TV show, or somebody told me so it's true".
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

I did read it!! See below:

Now, I understand sugar is BAD however I love yoghurt and I'm totally confused which type is better for weight loss!? Clean eating tells me full fat yoghurt is best but low fat/98% fat free ones seem best for my weight loss??? Help knowledgable foodies!!! ????
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options

Yes, this is true. But unfortunately, due to the charged nature of the subject, that's the way it is.

• GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Thanks guys for your advice! I've done so many diets that they all combine and confuse me! Healthy lifestyle and living is now the way forward, fed up with the yo yoing quick fixes!!! Thanks again! Xx

Keep it simple. Reasonable calorie deficit, log everything, don't demonize food groups, find an activity you like to do, and eat gelato ... Good luck

For your yogurt which one do you prefer and which one fits into your day.. eat that
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Now, I understand sugar is BAD however I love yoghurt and I'm totally confused which type is better for weight loss!? Clean eating tells me full fat yoghurt is best but low fat/98% fat free ones seem best for my weight loss??? Help knowledgable foodies!!! ????

Bad =/= devil. And you chose to focus on one simple comment, instead of answering the question.
  • DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    Options

Hi OP: I hope this post survives the flame war.

For me, I need a lot of fat in my diet. If I don't get enough fat, I get hungry and I get cranky. I used to eat fat-free yogurt but now I eat full-fat. I use real butter. I drink full-fat milk.

The difference in calories isn't much because I am more full and more happy on 1/2 cup of full-fat yogurt that on 1 cup of fat free yogurt.

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Bad =/= devil. And you chose to focus on one simple comment, instead of answering the question.

You can't answer the question accurately without clearing up the misinformation the OP already "knows".
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

You can't answer the question accurately without clearing up the misinformation the OP already "knows".

Of course you can. Several people did.

She asked which of two choices seemed better for weight loss. Why does her feelings toward sugar make you unable to answer?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

Of course you can. Several people did.

She asked which of two choices seemed better for weight loss. Why does her feelings toward sugar make you unable to answer?

Because I like to make sure people have all the facts before they make a decision.

• Paul_Collyer
    Paul_Collyer Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Cut it down. Go for the full fat option if it's lower sugar. Get your sugars from natural sources like fresh fruit and dairy.

Well I mean some yoghurts have sugars added to them to compensate for the reduced fat in terms of taste, as I understand it.

If there is a low fat yoghurt that doesnt do this and calories are at a premium that's another matter, although for taste I'd always go full fat and save elsewhere :-)

A lot of full fat yogurt has sugar added too. Most flavored yogurts have either sugar or artificial sweetener added, regardless of the fat content.

Of course. I go for full fat plain/greek and add fresh fruit.
  • Paul_Collyer
    Paul_Collyer Posts: 160 Member
    Options

I don't believe that's true. It's commonly asserted, but I think people are confused because this does happen with some lowfat/no fat products (like fat free cookies or other horrors) and low fat yogurt does, of course, have more of its calories from sugar.

I mostly eat plain yogurt, and I read labels, and none of the brands I eat (mostly Fage, I just recently tried Wallaby, various local ones) have added sugar, and nor does any skim or 2% milk I've ever seen. It doesn't make a lot of sense, really.

What is true is that flavored yogurt often has sugar added (although it's pretty obvious, not hidden, and some of this is from fruit, of course). However, this has nothing to do with full fat vs. skim--flavored full fat also has sugar added. There's a local brand I like (not greek, I get it from the farm directly sometimes) that comes only in full fat and I get both their flavored and non flavored on occasion and, of course, the flavored has some added sugar.

So you agree with me ;-)

( I was obv. referring to the flavoured ones as opposed to plain - should have been clearer! )

This discussion has been closed.