Giving up diet soda. So hard!

Options

Replies

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    It took me well over a year to get off the diet pop completely. I was off, then on, then off...over and over. I'd even refuse to buy pop at Publix and then run to the Circle K for a 20oz. It was crazy. Eventually I got sick of having to re-quit all the time and decided to just not have another sip, period.

I feel so much better when I'm off that stuff!! Don't give up, even if you fail. Keep trying. It's worth it in the end! :) I just drink ice water. If I am making something with lemon or lime and have extra, I'll throw some in my water, but usually it's just ice water.

Some people here get very upset when other people make changes to their diet. They'll demand to know why you're doing it. Anything short of a virtual doctor's note (and sometimes not even that) will not meet their criteria for whether or not it's okay for you to change your diet, so then they'll feel justified in insulting and mocking you. They do it to different people every day. Don't take it personally. It's not you.

Or, you know, just saying, "I want to change my diet because personal preference" will satisfy them.

So long as you're not appearing to want to change your diet based on incorrect information, and you're not proposing something unhealthy, people will not give two hoots about how you choose to eat.

And even if you initially want to change your diet based on incorrect info, if you learn the correct info (and acknowledge it) and STILL want to make the same changes based on personal preference, people will be fine with that.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    I don't feel good about all the chemicals. Also, it keeps the sweet tooth going and makes it hard to stay away from sweets.

What about all of the chemicals in water? Lead, chlorine, etc. OTOH, if you don't want to drink soda, then don't drink it. I have one diet Coke per day (more on the weekends when I "cut" it with Captain Morgan) but I also drink 64ozs of water. AS long as soda isn't totally substituted for water then I don't see it as being an issue (for me).

oh yes, lets stop drinking water because of the "chemicals" *rollseyes*

Where did I say anyone should stop drinking water? Eye roll back atcha'.

ETA: "Tap water is treated with a large number of chemicals in order to kill bacteria and other microorganisms. In addition, it may contain other undesirable contaminants like toxic metal salts, hormones and pesticides, or it may become contaminated by chemicals or microbes within pipes (e.g. lead, bacteria, protozoa)." - Google

so, now you're saying tap water is bad. soooooo what's your point?

Let's sum up.

From Lynette4321: I don't feel good about all the chemicals. (referencing soda)

From LeanButNotMean44: What about all of the chemicals in water?

So, the point is: Water has chemicals. Soda has chemicals. Why feel bad about soda and not water?

Oh, and the point wasn't directed to you in the first place, so this is to clarify the conversation, not to get you to answer.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    I don't feel good about all the chemicals. Also, it keeps the sweet tooth going and makes it hard to stay away from sweets.

What about all of the chemicals in water? Lead, chlorine, etc. OTOH, if you don't want to drink soda, then don't drink it. I have one diet Coke per day (more on the weekends when I "cut" it with Captain Morgan) but I also drink 64ozs of water. AS long as soda isn't totally substituted for water then I don't see it as being an issue (for me).

ETA: "Tap water is treated with a large number of chemicals in order to kill bacteria and other microorganisms. In addition, it may contain other undesirable contaminants like toxic metal salts, hormones and pesticides, or it may become contaminated by chemicals or microbes within pipes (e.g. lead, bacteria, protozoa)." - Google

Let's sum up.

So, the point is: Water has chemicals. Soda has chemicals. Why feel bad about soda and not water?

Oh, and the point wasn't directed to you in the first place, so this is to clarify the conversation, not to get you to answer.

Thank you, stealthq - that was EXACTLY my point.

• Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »

Let's sum up.

because i'm going with the chemicals in soda being worse and we need water to live.

i don't remember who the point was directed at, but many points were directed at me and i did say that i want to avoid soda for the chemicals, so might as well have been directed at me. so whatever.
  • chriscrosse
    chriscrosse Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I gave up diet soda as was drinking too much. Now I can moderate and have one now and then, doesn't taste nearly as good, notice the chemical fakey flavor much more now. If trying to eliminate or ween, maybe try 1/2 sparkling water and 1/2 soda, like diet 7up or ginger ale or fresca mixed with sparkling water until sparkling water and a lime does it for you.

Although many comments were anti stopping soda, I think the sentiment is if you really, really like something, make room for it so that whatever your plan, it is sustainable long term. Like, if you are trying to lose weight and you cut out all of your go to food/drink at one time, you may set yourself up for failure. Diet soda although not great for you, can fit well into a weight loss plan. Kudos for trying to make the healthiest choices but long-term, moderation is optimal I think.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    People on these boards generally prioritize being right above being helpful or supportive.

I would rather someone step on my toes and tell me the truth, than someone coddle me while spitting non-science based "facts".
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I don't agree with giving up anything, I believe in moderation. Still if you feel you need to give up a pop, then try seltzer water.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    jasonmh630 wrote: »
    People on these boards generally prioritize being right above being helpful or supportive.

I would rather someone step on my toes and tell me the truth, than someone coddle me while spitting non-science based "facts".

Agreed- Supportive =/= agreeing with everything said
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    scoandmur wrote: »
    Thank you LeenaGee and the rest who gave suggestions. Making some ice tea now

I think that's a great idea, but my question is, aren't you going to use sweetener in it [iced tea]?

Why would she? I drink a lot of homebrewed and chilled iced tea, and I never do. It doesn't need it.

I drink lots of water too (we have bottles available at work, along with coffee, tea, and diet soda), but often with dinner or in the evening I like a switch and iced tea is a lovely alternative.

Places where they assume that iced tea is sweetened unless you order "unsweet" are weird, IMO, although I strongly suspect this is mostly a regional thing, which is the only reason I answered.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I think that's a great idea, but my question is, aren't you going to use sweetener in it [iced tea]?

Why would she? I drink a lot of homebrewed and chilled iced tea, and I never do. It doesn't need it.

I drink lots of water too (we have bottles available at work, along with coffee, tea, and diet soda), but often with dinner or in the evening I like a switch and iced tea is a lovely alternative.

Places where they assume that iced tea is sweetened unless you order "unsweet" are weird, IMO, although I strongly suspect this is mostly a regional thing, which is the only reason I answered.

in the south there is no such thing as unsweetened tea... lol I can't imagine drinking tea that is unsweetened.. blech...
  • Fleetwoodly
    Options
    How about some spring water with some fresh squeezed orange juice? Or infused water, just gives it more of a taste without the calories. Good of you giving up the soda, it is bad for you in so many ways (no offense to the soda drinkers though). Myself, I drink three big mugs of green tea now, always has been one of my favourites. When I crave something soda like, I go for spring water (here in the Netherlands we have spring water infused drinks and those are very nice too).
  • Linzer140fit
    Linzer140fit Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have given up diet soda for the most part. I'll have it if I want to though every once in while. What I have been learning to like is Seltzer/soda water, because a big part of what I like is the carbonation/fizz factor. Do I LOVE seltzer? No. Have I learned to like a little more? Yes, plus...I'd rather have seltzer than plain water. Sometimes I'll add a dab of cranberry juice to my seltzer. Try some different flavored seltzer.
  • ourtruelovewillneverdie
    Options

I didn't even know what real sweet tea was until I went down South. I grew up on unsweetened tea. I grew up thinking sweet tea was the kind my grandmother made with a packet of sweet and low in a glass with tea.
  • clambert1273
    edited January 2015
    Options

I didn't even know what real sweet tea was until I went down South. I grew up on unsweetened tea. I grew up thinking sweet tea was the kind my grandmother made with a packet of sweet and low in a glass with tea.

LOL bet you were surprised by the cup o sugar in the jug LOL
  • Linzer140fit
    Linzer140fit Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I am like you, all or nothing it seems to be many times. I don't preach no soda, but I do think it's hard for our bodies to process, causes water retention bloating, chemicals and keeps the sweet tooth thing going which I have a problem with.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

in the south there is no such thing as unsweetened tea... lol I can't imagine drinking tea that is unsweetened.. blech...

And I dislike tea with sugar added! I'll embrace the differences, so long as you don't slip sugar in my tea without me asking. ;-)
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »
    jasonmh630 wrote: »

Agreed- Supportive =/= agreeing with everything said

Supportive also != I won't answer your question until you let me judge your reason for asking it.

As for the non-science based "facts", does that start with "everything in moderation?" Have to wonder how many people put off visiting a doctor or ignored symptoms of something because they were browbeaten into believing that what they felt in their own body was their own guilt or listening to the wrong people or setting themselves up for failure.
  • ourtruelovewillneverdie
    Options

LOL bet you were surprised by the cup o sugar in the jug LOL

Very, but it is delicious. I was so deprived before going down South. I never even had real fried chicken, turnips, black eyed peas, or Mac and cheese until living down there. My weakness is true Southern food. The only Mac and cheese I will eat anymore is my Alabama ex-MIL's recipe that I make from time to time. My mom makes white Mac and cheese with just American cheese and I still cannot believe I thought that was the real thing growing up. No wonder I always had to cover it in ketchup to eat it lol.
  • sweetdixie92
    sweetdixie92 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    why do people need to defend diet soda as though it's a huge travesty to give it up? if she wants to give it up, it's her life.

Agreed.

Why do so many people on here insist that it's wrong to give something up? It's your own personal choice.

But like the OP said, drinking diet sodas DOES keep your sweet tooth going. I'm on a big-time diet soda kick right now and I really need to eliminate it. When I stop drinking it for awhile, I find it easier to slowly add back in 1 or 2 a week and control it. Right now I'm drinking 1 or 2 a day and it just makes me want more.

Moderation may be the key, but sometimes you need to first stop something cold-turkey before you can kick the cravings out.
  • clambert1273
    Options
    why do people need to defend diet soda as though it's a huge travesty to give it up? if she wants to give it up, it's her life.

Agreed.

Why do so many people on here insist that it's wrong to give something up? It's your own personal choice.

But like the OP said, drinking diet sodas DOES keep your sweet tooth going. I'm on a big-time diet soda kick right now and I really need to eliminate it. When I stop drinking it for awhile, I find it easier to slowly add back in 1 or 2 a week and control it. Right now I'm drinking 1 or 2 a day and it just makes me want more.

Moderation may be the key, but sometimes you need to first stop something cold-turkey before you can kick the cravings out.

no, it keeps YOUR sweet tooth going... doesn't affect mine at all no matter how many I drink :)
This discussion has been closed.