Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    I'm offended.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited January 2015
    MKEgal wrote: »
    what I find way more annoying than spandex though is styled hair, jewelry and full makeup. It's a gym, not a night club.
    OMG, yes. And these are usually the women who are flirting instead of working out, which leads to them (or the guy they're flirting with) sitting on a piece of equipment forever, blocking other people from using it.

ETA:
    So if stylish women go to the gym from pretty much anywhere but home, they need to wash their faces, remove all jewelry, and muss up their hair before leaving the locker room.
    That's the strawman fallacy, and possibly the black or white fallacy.

There's a difference between someone who's coming from a special event (where she's worn makeup, styled her hair, etc.) and someone who's sitting in the locker room doing her makeup & hair before going into the gym proper to "work out".

It is neither of those fallacies, but thanks for playing.

Strawman requires a misrepresentation or exaggeration of the original statement.

Original post did not specify the woman went to the gym and styled herself as you claim it did, only that the woman is at the gym (presumably to work out, but that isn't specified either) with styled hair, jewelry and full makeup.

Show me where I misrepresented any of the above. I didn't say women that used a little tinted moisturizer and lipgloss, or were just wearing some stud earrings, or just happened to use hairspray that day. I specified stylish women, because they generally have styled hair, jewelry, and full makeup every day. Not just for a 'special event' or only when going to work. There are those that will not leave their house without being 'done'. Surely you know at least one of these women. They are not that uncommon.

Therefore, if one of these stylish women - and by specifying I was making sure that I was not generalizing to all, or even most women - goes to the gym from anywhere but home (and some of them even from home) they will have styled hair, jewelry, and full makeup. To get rid of those, they'd need to remove makeup, jewelry, and muss their hair before going to work out. Yes?

Black or white argument presents only two possibilities with no grey area.

That would apply to FoCoAlphaNerd's statement, not mine. Woman works out either with styled hair, jewelry and full makeup or they don't. FoCoAlphaNerd is apparently either offended, or not, depending. No grey area there. I simply addressed the two scenarios presented.
  • Lambrah
    Lambrah Posts: 45 Member
    lemon629 wrote: »
    Lambrah wrote: »
    I find it offensive because these glorified yoga pants are trendy. Stop being a damn conformist. Whatever happened to short shorts being the proper gym attire(not those doofy basketball shorts)

I don't wear shorts unless I'm strictly going to do the treadmill or elliptical. Anything else I wear spandex "yoga pants" (or shorts) because if I am going to be doing planks, downward dogs, squat thrusts, or anything else like that, I do not want my shorts to gap and hang so that people can see my underwear. Plus, loose fabric can catch on weights or other equipment.

I appreciate men who wear spandex for the same reason. One time I saw someone's testicle that had popped out of his underwear and it was showing through the gap between his shorts and his leg. Yuck. Spandex all the way. I'd rather see the outline of a man's genitalia than the genitalia itself. I do prefer for men to wear regular shorts on top of their spandex, but I'm OK with it either way.

i think that spandex is the new way for some people to "show off" at the gym(like saying look how fit i am). but in the end it shouldnt matter. i was sarcastic in my previous post no hard feelings!
  • Nix13s
    Nix13s Posts: 9 Member
    How one wears spandex is the least of my care or concern in the gym. After all that is where spandex belongs. Not offended... I applaud the effort to exercise.
  • lborsato1
    lborsato1 Posts: 1,011 Member
    My gym is in my house, so if there was a man in there wearing spandex I would be offended, and a little freaked out ! :D
  • CountessKitteh
    CountessKitteh Posts: 1,505 Member
    tanowicki wrote: »
    If someone's coming straight from work and hasn't washed off their makeup, it makes sense and isn't an issue. I don't understand the people at 6 am at the gym working out with makeup on. I'm there with bed head knowing I'm going to take a shower after working up a sweat and someone next to me will be there already made up for the day at the office. Do they not sweat and have to cleanup after a workout?

How do you know they're NOT coming straight from work at 6am? Plenty of people work third shift.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    If someone's coming straight from work and hasn't washed off their makeup, it makes sense and isn't an issue. I don't understand the people at 6 am at the gym working out with makeup on. I'm there with bed head knowing I'm going to take a shower after working up a sweat and someone next to me will be there already made up for the day at the office. Do they not sweat and have to cleanup after a workout?

How do you know they're NOT coming straight from work at 6am? Plenty of people work third shift.

for realz- you don't know them.
    - they don't know you.

Remember- if you have enough of your own business to tend- you won't be minding other peoples' business... and if you find yourself minding other people's business... then perhaps you need more business to mind for yourself.

which is a long winded way of saying shut up and get back work.
  • CountessKitteh
    CountessKitteh Posts: 1,505 Member
    JoRocka wrote: »

for realz- you don't know them.
    - they don't know you.

Remember- if you have enough of your own business to tend- you won't be minding other peoples' business... and if you find yourself minding other people's business... then perhaps you need more business to mind for yourself.

which is a long winded way of saying shut up and get back work.

Now, you...you I like. :)
  • Codilee87
    Codilee87 Posts: 509 Member
    Do you think its any different than women wearing tight tops where you can see the outline of their breasts?

Well, I'd say a better equivalent would be a women with an obvious camel-toe. Breasts are not genitalia.
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    One of my fitness instructors always comes in with perfectly done hair, makeup, high heels, and a long fur coat over her sport attire.

Then she dons the coat and the heels and turns to one of the most badass instructors ever. She is the only one that during the BodyPump classes (or well, not body pump, they are called differently in my gym – to avoid paying for licenses, I suppose) will insist that you pack on weights until you lift to failure. Then she follows it up with a HIIT Spin class. Same story there.
  • tmm_0127
    tmm_0127 Posts: 545 Member
    I only worry about myself at the gym.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    ummmm - I'm having a terrible sense of deja vu with this thread.............
  • I couldn't handle jewelry
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Who cares whether someone wears makeup and jewelry to the gym (well, the jewelry could be a safety hazard)? It isn't for you, anyway. Eyeliner, perfectly coiffed hair, bangles--ain't none of that for you. Spandex pants? Not for you either.
  • Rainbownoodles
    Rainbownoodles Posts: 7 Member
    Nope, I don't mind at all. Let people wear whatever they want.
  • true good point
  • DsAdvocate
    DsAdvocate Posts: 93 Member
    Women: Do you get offended when a man is wearing spandex at the gym?

Not at all. Dress for yourself, not for others. It's just a body part. Approximately 50% of the population has a penis and testicles. Who cares if you can see outlines or bulges...
  • Nekrachael
    Nekrachael Posts: 74 Member
    I'm now worried. I just don't look at other people past the polite eye contact thing. Then, I don't look. Really. I hoped that was standard etiquette. Ugh! Now I have to wonder if people are noticing my clothes.

If I can't smell your clothes at the gym, I won't notice them. So, I wouldn't be offended.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Depends?
  • uask4itdave
    uask4itdave Posts: 5 Member
    I tend to keep my eyes on my own "paper" at the gym. When I do notice, I am not offended by what people might wear. I am more offended by what they do not wear in an attempt to attract attention. There is a particular young lady w/BIG breast implants at my gym. Her chose of gym attire is loose fit tanks, no bra, and butt cheek bearing boy shorts. I dare say, I might not be offended by her not quite covered breasts and butt if she did any real workout. But, since she just struts around the weight area doing the machines guaranteed to place her in the most prone and provocative positions...and never breaks a sweat that might mess up her perfectly made up face. I am pretty offend by her, and how she represents my gender.