Workout advice

Options
Hey everyone!
So I am starting to get extremely frustrated with my lack of progress... I am 150 lbs and 5"7 and have been working out consistantly for over a year now and haven't lost a single pound. My diet isn't perfect but it's not horrible either. I take in around 1600 calories a day. I put in a lottttt of hard work at the gym and am just so frustrated at my lack of results. Maybe I am just meant to be this size? A typical workout week for me looks like this:
I have been doing this for a year and haven't lost any weight. My workout schedule looks kind of like this:
Monday- kettlebell class
Tuesday - body attack ( an aerobics type class)
Wednesday-sometimes off and sometimes spinning
Thursday - ballet barre/pilates
Friday - crossfit type class
Saturday - spinning
Sunday - off

Advice anyone? I am to the point where I feel like giving up.

Replies

• Jankatherton
    Jankatherton Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Also I should add that I really enjoy having pizza and beer on my Friday nights. I know that's not good but it really does just make my week and I do look forward to it! Do you think this might be my issue? I just don't know if I'd be willing to give that up
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    First of all what are your stats? Age/height/weight.

What are your goals?

And are you accurate with logging? Do you weigh all solid foods? How are you accounting for your workout cals?
  • a_candler
    a_candler Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    By not knowing exactly how many calories you're eating I'd say that's your issue. And pizza and beer can set u back depending on how much u eat.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    You have plenty of room to reduce calories. I would suggest dropping your calorie goal to 1400 or lower can seeing if it gives you results.
  • Jankatherton
    Options
    I am 33 year old, 5"7 and 150lbs.
    My goal is to get down to about 135 ( where I was about 5 years ago)
    I don't weigh my food no. I really don't want to have to get that nit-picky about things but maybe I need to?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!
    So I am starting to get extremely frustrated with my lack of progress... I am 150 lbs and 5"7 and have been working out consistantly for over a year now and haven't lost a single pound. My diet isn't perfect but it's not horrible either. I take in around 1600 calories a day. I put in a lottttt of hard work at the gym and am just so frustrated at my lack of results. Maybe I am just meant to be this size? A typical workout week for me looks like this:
    I have been doing this for a year and haven't lost any weight. My workout schedule looks kind of like this:
    Monday- kettlebell class
    Tuesday - body attack ( an aerobics type class)
    Wednesday-sometimes off and sometimes spinning
    Thursday - ballet barre/pilates
    Friday - crossfit type class
    Saturday - spinning
    Sunday - off

Advice anyone? I am to the point where I feel like giving up.

You can't out exercise a bad diet

And you have no idea what you're eating

So take a week and weigh and log everything ...I think you will be suprised
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    If you aren't losing, you're either eating more than you think or burning less than you think. Since you're already into the healthy BMI range, you have to be precise with your logging, which may mean using a food scale and adjusting your burns to account for overestimation.
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I don't weigh my food no. I really don't want to have to get that nit-picky about things but maybe I need to?

You are probably under estimating your food then. I noticed when I started using a food scale it helped me get an accurate picture of what a 'serving' of something is from broccoli to burgers.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    1st of all your weight and stats don't seem bad. I'd also consider a BF test. If it's on the lower side, losing is going to be more difficult if you're in a resistance training class.

You are going to have to buckle down and take a close / honest look at your food tracking and track it as accurately as possible. Same with the exercise calories. It's hard to track that type of stuff so estimate low. See where you end up.

If you are not losing any weight (ie.. not GAINING) then you right at maintenance. So if you set your weight loss at 0.5 lbs per week, that's only a difference of about 250 calories per day. That's well within the error of one or more of your food/exercise tracking methods
  • Jankatherton
    Options
    You have plenty of room to reduce calories. I would suggest dropping your calorie goal to 1400 or lower can seeing if it gives you results.

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    1r1ukvjxt1rh.jpg
  • Jankatherton
    Options

Really? The goal I am given in fitness pal is 1600 so that's what I have been aiming for especially since I am so active. I am a nurse so am on my feet all day at work as well plus walk about 15 mins to and from work. I aim for no more that 1600 but often do fall in around 1400-1500
  • Jankatherton
    Options

You are probably under estimating your food then. I noticed when I started using a food scale it helped me get an accurate picture of what a 'serving' of something is from broccoli to burgers.

This is probably naive but I was hoping to reach my goals through dedicated workout program and then just making good food choices and watching calorie intake.But I guess I need to be a little stricter? I just don't want to to completely take over my life either though...
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    1st of all your weight and stats don't seem bad. I'd also consider a BF test. If it's on the lower side, losing is going to be more difficult if you're in a resistance training class.

You are going to have to buckle down and take a close / honest look at your food tracking and track it as accurately as possible. Same with the exercise calories. It's hard to track that type of stuff so estimate low. See where you end up.

If you are not losing any weight (ie.. not GAINING) then you right at maintenance. So if you set your weight loss at 0.5 lbs per week, that's only a difference of about 250 calories per day. That's well within the error of one or more of your food/exercise tracking methods

this
  • Jankatherton
    Options
    For some reason it's not lettinge see the above post. It has bars over it?
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Well, on the upside, you have learned what you need to do to MAINTAIN @ 150 lbs and still enjoy a beer/pizza night :) while guesstimating food intake. My advice: don't change anything you are doing in terms of "good food choices," but track every bit of food for a week or two (yes, weigh everything unless it is a fluid meant to be measured as a fluid) to find out what your maintenance calories are. Then you can plan a 250 calorie deficit from there.
  • Jankatherton
    Options
    maxit wrote: »
    Well, on the upside, you have learned what you need to do to MAINTAIN @ 150 lbs and still enjoy a beer/pizza night :) while guesstimating food intake. My advice: don't change anything, but track every bit of food for a week to find out what your maintenance calories are. Then you can plan a 250 calorie deficit from there.

Thanks, this actually makes a lot of sense. You are right, at least I do know what I need to do for maintenance cause I certainly have not had a my problem maintains this weight haha. Haven't changed a pound in a year.
  • MacCroc
    MacCroc Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    You are suppored to be loosing at 1600 with over 5 h/week of excercise. Your normal maintainance should be way over 2000. I would suggest instead of cutting your calories:

1. Try weightlifting instead of so much cardio
    2. Check your thyroid
    3. Find out what your maintainance TDEE is (http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ is good), then slowly up your calories towards it and eat at maintainance for a month or two. Check http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/3817-eat-more-2-weigh-less for more info.
    4. After your weight has stabilized, cut no more then 20% of your TDEE. You will see yourself eating significantly more calories than you are at the moment AND loosing weight.

Feel free to add me if you need some support.

• Jankatherton
    Options
    I don't remember weight loss being so difficult in my 20's!
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    For some reason it's not lettinge see the above post. It has bars over it?

Ask someone to quote it