Thinking of "starting today"? You might want to check this out - pics inside!

Options

Replies

• ewhip17
    ewhip17 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    ewhip17 wrote: »

The thing is, it IS possible. If you can set reasonable goals (I far exceeded even my stretch goals), accept that there are no excuses, understand that you will have bad days, and be prepared to be brutally honest with yourself about your actions and decisions, it is absolutely possible. Just don't ever quit. Ever. Don't start tomorrow. I spent 10 years starting tomorrow. Start today.

I had a bad day yesterday and was feeling a bit sorry for myself and a bit scared this morning. I clicked your link, read this, and IMMEDIATELY felt reassured and ok.

THANK YOU SO MUCH.

(((((((((I am giving you a big hug right now))))))))))

I love this - thank YOU.
  • Tammy518
    Tammy518 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Amazing transformation...love the quote...I have also said many times "I'll start tomorrow" or Monday etc... etc...Thanks for this inspirational post I needed it today.
    I just got back on track this week and after losing 40 pounds last year, my job and location changed taking me away from the gym next door so I used that for an excuse to just go grab lunch at a fast food joint and troll Facebook. Now I have gained it all but 5 pounds back and it has to STOP. It WILL stop, I'm done being fat, making excuses and ignoring my health.
  • ewhip17
    Options
    Tammy518 wrote: »
    Amazing transformation...love the quote...I have also said many times "I'll start tomorrow" or Monday etc... etc...Thanks for this inspirational post I needed it today.
    I just got back on track this week and after losing 40 pounds last year, my job and location changed taking me away from the gym next door so I used that for an excuse to just go grab lunch at a fast food joint and troll Facebook. Now I have gained it all but 5 pounds back and it has to STOP. It WILL stop, I'm done being fat, making excuses and ignoring my health.

Excellent. Keep us posted on your progress!

• Muppyooh
    Muppyooh Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    You are an inspiration!!
  • Liz4J
    Liz4J Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Speechless, in awe...well done. Thank you for such an inspirational post.
  • ewhip17
    Options
    Sorry to keep bumping this up but I had a bit of an "aha" moment last week that I thought might be helpful to people who are just starting out.

I was at the doctor's office on Friday and the nurse said "do you take any medications"? I said "nope." She said "none"? Again, I said "nope." Anyway, this got me thinking about all the things that have changed with my health in the past year, and that is really the most important part right? There were some things that I had even forgotten about.

Last year compared to today:

Migraines - were as often as twice per week. I was always either taking something to try and keep them at bay or to treat them once I got one. Now, gone (knocking on wood).

Sinus issues - were chronic, now occasional and much less severe.

Sleep apnea - my wife used to lay awake at night counting the number of seconds I stopped breathing. Now gone.

Snoring - was chronic and terrible. My poor wife was often found downstairs on the couch in the AM. Now very rare.

Gallbladder pain - had become nearly constant. It wasn't stones, just not functioning properly. Now very rare.

Cholesterol - numbers were bad. Now perfectly normal.

Blood Pressure - was always bordering on high, to the point where docs didn't want me taking antihistamines. Now it's perfect.

Back pain - was chronic, now occasional but I still have to be careful.

Fatigue - I literally had no energy. My kids would be playing baseball in the yard with my wife while I sat on the couch. This past weekend I taught my son to ride a bike by riding around the track with him. My wife said "you never could have done that a year ago". She was right.

Heartburn - was an issue nearly every night. I was taking something for it before bed or during the night all the time. Now I think I've had heartburn once in the past 12 mos. and I know exactly what it was from.

Anyway, I'm sure there are more that I'm forgetting. But it was interesting to mentally catalogue all of this over the weekend and assess where I am with it today.
  • yasudarshan
    yasudarshan Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I signed on today to just log in my calories and decided to read this post you have listed as "my story" under your profile, and all the comments. 9 pages of comments and encouragement- it is clear how many you have inspired!
    -
    - I have been on MFP a couple of times over the past couple of years and I always quit. I want to be different this time and not play games with the calories and not fool myself. I have spent most of the last 10 years dieting on the weekdays only to gain back everything with 1 or two trips to restaurants. I have fooled myself on portion sizes and stashed sweets in the house. I have used food as consolation for a rough day, because I "deserved" it. I want to deserve better for myself than all the excuses, so I am trying to make this year different. I am still figuring out what works for me but exercising more often is going to be a big key. Not going too long between meals is another one - in the long run it backfires by making me ravenous in the afternoon.

I picked one or two members of MFP this time to communicate with and the reason I asked you to add me was simply the look of determination and directness on your profile picture. Your success and just doing what you need to every day. I want to see that look in my photos some day instead of the doubt I see there now.

Last of all, I originally found this site to try to inspire my son to try losing weight. He is only 23 years old but he is about at your starting weight. I am not sure why he gained as much as he did in college but I think it was loneliness. I hope to get him back on here and to get him to start as you did by taking a walk every day. I want that walk to take him somewhere, back to getting around without hurting and back to being able to buy clothes in regular stores. Thanks again for your inspiration, and congratulations on your change in lifestyle.
  • Kirstie155
    Kirstie155 Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, you clearly worked very hard! Have a healthy 2015!
  • cdlee05
    cdlee05 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    amazing how you can actually look like two completely different people.
  • ewhip17
    Options
    @yasudarshan‌ - thanks so much I really appreciate your post. Good luck to you and your son.

And thanks to everyone else. I'm still a work in progress in a lot of ways, but I'm finding that process very rewarding.
  • julier62
    julier62 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I spent 10 years starting tomorrow. Start today.

This resonates with me. I keep thinking this same thing. I'll start over tomorrow. Tomorrow is another day. I just need to do what I know. I know how, but it's putting it into action. Self discipline! Just do it!

Thanks for sharing your story. You look great and I know you probably feel even better!

Great job!

• dinobomp
    dinobomp Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Kudos, kudos, KUDOS TO YOU! You have made an amazing transformation!! I can't wait to see how that feels!!! Congratulations!!!
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Great Job!!! You have such a cute smile! You should smile in your progress pics!
  • ewhip17
    Options
    triciab79 wrote: »
    Great Job!!! You have such a cute smile! You should smile in your progress pics!

Ha thanks - I'm usually concentrating so hard on just getting that "selfie" thing figured out.... "wait, where do I look? How do I do this AND push the button?"

:neutral_face:
  • Nouvelle_Sonia
    Nouvelle_Sonia Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story. It encourages me to keep going.
  • RhondaDesiree
    RhondaDesiree Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Great job. Thanks for sharing. Your transformation is amazing. I know it's hard work, but you have shown it's possible. I restarted many times. I'm finally on the right path & people like you are what keeps me motivated to continue this journey & make the changes I need to make. I hope your first 5 k was amazing. I'm hoping to one day run my first 5 k. Thanks for the inspiration!
  • mlh357
    mlh357 Posts: 28
    Options
    Totally awesome, way to go!!!!!!
  • Nataliegetfit
    Nataliegetfit Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I am so glad you can play with your kids now and are off all meds and have eliminated a lot of your problems. I hope my snoring goes away. I have lost 8 and need about 40 more. My knees also make a few weird noises and heels hurt when I first get up to walk. Hoping everything goes away. I am sure your family is loving the new you mostly because you feel better. You are an inspiration to a lot of people. Good luck with the maintenance part.
  • ewhip17
    Options
    I'm finding the thought of "maintenance" a bit terrifying. :wink:
  • dencilevamiller
    Options
    I noticed that even your eyes look much bigger in your after picture because you have no fat around then now
    Awesome job !!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!