Replies

• jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    you can't click the like button if you don't like it
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I delete people who don't log regularly. If your last login is over 20-30 days, I will definitely let you go.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Jagkat wrote: »
    I had a 3000 cal day and I spent the next week trying to eat low calories to make up for it. If someone didn't see my high calorie day they might think I always try to eat below and delete me. You don't always know why people do what they do. Try asking or commenting about their eating in a nice way. Just saying......

For me, I delete based on trends, not a single day, or even a single week. It's a combination of consistent low intake, constant negativity, excuses and general lack of willingness to be a partner in their health. As much as I want to save everyone, I can't. So I have to move on for my own mental health.

I completely agree there^^^^

I mostly delete people due to inactivity. Every 2 months I go in, sort by last log in and just delete people with 1 month + since last log in. Then along the way it's mostly everything you said above.

I do the same with inactivity. I like having active, positive friends that teach me new things and that I can celebrate accomplishments with. That's the fun part for me.
  • Vex3521
    Vex3521 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I came back a little lighter in the friends department after being away for a number of months... I expected that. The other stuff like intake being too low, honestly I'm not sure how to react there... if someone reaches out and the responses are pro-ed or triggering/upsetting to them, then it's distancing from being part of watching someone spiral. If it's one or two days of low logging and no contact, honestly maybe that's a friendship online that didn't need to keep going.

• jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    vhowru wrote: »
    I was defriended because my calorie intake was too low although I eat more I guess I need to be accurate isn't that an odd thing to do ? Any advice besides be more accurate

I don't know if this has been addressed or not, but why not log accurately. If I'm reading this correctly, you don't log the actual amount that you eat? Why not just log everything and avoid someone thinking you're ED prone and avoid this entire situation?
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    Vex3521 wrote: »
    I came back a little lighter in the friends department after being away for a number of months... I expected that. The other stuff like intake being too low, honestly I'm not sure how to react there... if someone reaches out and the responses are pro-ed or triggering/upsetting to them, then it's distancing from being part of watching someone spiral. If it's one or two days of low logging and no contact, honestly maybe that's a friendship online that didn't need to keep going.

yeah, i lost one friend probably due to being inactive who i was a little sad about because he was cool.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I like my friends to succeed and part of that will be to eat so they get enough nutrition over time. I want them to lose weight in a sustainable healthy way and not just by starving themselves. If I see weeks of eating under 900 calories, then it just causes concern as to their relationship with food and how they are achieving their weight loss. Its also has a good chance of backfiring and resulting in a binge or quitting.

Think its perfectly understandable if such people are defriended if they insist on eating such low levels. Id prefer a minimum 1200 and more comfy with 1400 but thats up to them. I keep my friends numbers low, so tend to know them well enough and can factor in if theres a genuine reason for sustained low calories, fasying or medically supervised diet.

The whole friends thing is a bit of a mish mash anyway. People have very different ideas.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I am old, short, and sedentary. My TTDE - 20% is 1036 calories. If I eat above that I gain. NOT EVERYONE IS THE SAME!
  • MarciBkonTrk
    MarciBkonTrk Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I had gastric bypass and there are days I struggle just to eat 1000 calories. But my calories are very protein/nutrient dense. It never occurred to me that people would friend then unfriend because I am not getting enough calories in their eyes. I guess you learn something new every day.
  • Aviva92
    Options
    I am old, short, and sedentary. My TTDE - 20% is 1036 calories. If I eat above that I gain. NOT EVERYONE IS THE SAME!

yeah, it's examples like this which makes it annoying to hear that people find it necessary to tell people how much they should eat. not really their business to give unsolicited advice on their food diary.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    It is really hard to see people on here who are hurting themselves. I try to be positive and reach out, but when someone is in the midst of an eating disorder there is very little to do on here, so thus far I have ended up defriending because it's painful to watch. It doesn't sound like that is your issue though, which is a good thing :)
  • Aviva92
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I was defriended because my calorie intake was too low although I eat more I guess I need to be accurate isn't that an odd thing to do ? Any advice besides be more accurate

i might have missed it in this thread, but did the person specifically tell you that this was the reason they defriended you? because in looking at your food diary it would not hit my radar as being too low overall, but my threshold is probably lower than a lot of people.
  • occultllama
    occultllama Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    It is kind of beneficial for people with eating disorders to be friends with non eating disordered people, Especially if they are attempting to recover. I find it really difficult to know how to eat normally, seeing other peoples diaries can be a huge help for meal planning and the like.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I had gastric bypass and there are days I struggle just to eat 1000 calories. But my calories are very protein/nutrient dense. It never occurred to me that people would friend then unfriend because I am not getting enough calories in their eyes. I guess you learn something new every day.

I really don't think people are talking about situations like yours, and if it's any kind of friend relationship presumably they would know that about you? Or if they expressed concern you would share that?

People seem to be taking posts personally in a way that I don't think makes sense.
  • vhowru
    vhowru Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the awesome discussion all. I would hope we can support each other trying to see the best in each other as well. Of course we need to protect ourselves as well.
  • Aviva92
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    I go out of my way to point out they need to eat more, post helpful links and if they get angry or refuse to take advice and continue to undereat, I unfriend them.

Couldn't care less what people think of me for it. There's a clear disclaimer on my profile that states what I will and won't support.

oh yeah, i wouldn't friend someone with your disclaimer in the first place.

I'm wondering why you feel it's okay to point out why you wouldn't be friends with someone, but when someone does so with you - you get defensive and sarcastic.

It's odd.

I also think perusing the link FFF posted is a good idea. I don't know you well at all - but from an outsiders view, you seem to be very caught up with being "skinny". It's a concern, IMO.

Oh and rethinking this, her post specifically stated that she has a warning not to friend her if you don't meet a specific criteria, so I was just agreeing with her that I do not meet that criteria all the time so i would heed the warning and not friend request her, so what is wrong with agreeing, exactly?
  • MarciBkonTrk
    MarciBkonTrk Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I really don't think people are talking about situations like yours, and if it's any kind of friend relationship presumably they would know that about you? Or if they expressed concern you would share that?

People seem to be taking posts personally in a way that I don't think makes sense.

Agree that my circumstances are different but then again whose aren't. We are like snowflakes. Not one of us is exactly the same. It just never occurred to me that what a person eats or doesn't eat would be a reason to unfriend someone. Which again comes back to the "different strokes for different folks."
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options

I have an mfp friend who is short, old, and sedentary, and eats a similar number each day. She has been very clear that her situation is different, and the average bear shouldn't eat so little. That isn't what I'm talking about.

Now I had an mfp friend who I deleted, who was 19, regularly made posts about ED related topics, ate a low intake,and discussed self injury. I debated it, but untimately had to let that friend go. It was heartbreaking.
  • vhowru
    vhowru Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »

i might have missed it in this thread, but did the person specifically tell you that this was the reason they defriended you? because in looking at your food diary it would not hit my radar as being too low overall, but my threshold is probably lower than a lot of people.

This discussion has been closed.