Does seeing fit people at the gym motivate you to keep going?

Options

It makes me see that results are out there I just need to push myself

Replies

• 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Yes absolutely! unless a pompous attitude goes along with their beautiful body ;) male or female ...
    I spoke with a woman yesterday - asked a question about the foam rollers. She was amazingly fit and strong and just as nice as she could be. SHE inspires me.
  • Sophiareed218
    Sophiareed218 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Not really, I feel kinda intimidated. Especially if I'm getting stares like I don't belong there.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    It depends on who they project themselves to be. The little woman that is clearly in a middle age crisis and flaunting herself all over the gym?? NO. Daisy Dukes have no place at the Y!! The runners and weight trainers that are in shape...YES!! My hero is actually a girl I see outside...she is not that small, but is solid! She runs up intimidating hills like they are nothing!! In a bra and spandex shorts! Looking GOOD!! My hero! :)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Yep. I like seeing people who get it. I can tell a few of them compete and watching them is definitely motivating.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I was inspired by some of the people on yoga class today. Lean, cut, etc. I hope to get there.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! Especially when you learn that they started right where you were. If you make the commitment, you’d be amazed what you can accomplish.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    It depends, lol. sometimes the person is 20 years younger and I'm like.... man, i didn't look like that in my twenties either! But that's ok. Expectations for a middle aged person are a bit more relaxed, and that makes it easier for me to feel less pressure.
  • Beautifulbridgittlee7
    Options
    I am inspired by people who swim, run, do aerobics, bike, lift weights, etc., who go after it day after day
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I want to say yes, but as I think about it, not really. Occasionally I have been motivated a secret competition with someone, but they are likely to be someone closer to me in fitness level. I'm more motivated by changes I see in me.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    No
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Eh...I'm generally indifferent to other people @ the gym, unless they are using the squat rack when I want it.
  • epido
    epido Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    At this point, I don't really pay much attention to anyone else. In the beginning though, I found it a bit intimidating. As I continue to get closer and closer to my goal, it's funny to think that I am becoming one of those people that initially intimidated me!
  • panthur
    panthur Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am motivated when I see women lifting more than I can. Or who have awesome quads. I want to ask them to be my gym buddy but don't want to be a creeper.
  • tornACL2012
    Options
    haha true
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    No, seeing a fit body doesn't inspire me. Seeing someone doing something that I aspire to do does. Seeing my pole instructor do a perfect superman, inspires me to work hard so one day I can nail that move.
  • kalynbreann357
    kalynbreann357 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Not really. I'm guilty of looking at the "fitsporation" tag on instagram and pinterest but seeing it in person really does nothing for me, maybe because I mainly keep to myself in the gym
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Yes. So do the ones on here.
  • oriole35
    oriole35 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm 62 and just started using a treadmill, there is a little girl that comes in and uses it for about 30 minutes and leaves. I watched her from the stationary bike where I did my cardio. She inspired me to try the treadmill and then to try and walk as fast as she does. I was next to her one day and I swear she was doing more that 4.5mph.
    In trying to improve my speed, I have gone from 3 to a steady 3.8-4mph and from a flat walk to a 5.5 -6 rise. One day I hope I will walk as fast as she does. Amazing. Now I am proud that I can keep up my pace for 45minutes and at a 40 year old heart rate.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    oriole35 wrote: »
    Yes, I'm 62

What?? You look great!