Low carb, high fat! Need buddies to follow for support, motivation and ideas!

Options

Replies

• toscarthearmada
    toscarthearmada Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I'm low carb and high fat. I've lost 101 lbs and welcome anyone to add me. =)
  • toscarthearmada
    toscarthearmada Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    gtmerlino wrote: »
    Hi there you have had some good advise sent to you and yes low carb for long periods is dangerous. Consult your Dr for short periods of no longer than a week. Be careful

There is a difference between low carb and no carb. I've been low carb for over 2 years and I'm healthier than I've ever been. The key is LOW but not NO carb. Peep my diary.
  • Carbsmakefat
    Carbsmakefat Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Hello! I took a couple nutrition classes in university and the first thing we learned (sorry to burst your bubble) is that low carb high fat diets are quite bad. Carbohydrates should be the staple of your diet (fruits, vegetables, whole grains) because they are what provide your body with energy. Your brain especially needs carbohydrates to functions because it's the only macronutrient that can be broken down efficiently to use. If you do not have enough carbohydrates to use for energy to your brain, you body starts breaking down protein. The problem with this is that a byproduct of breaking down protein and converting it to glucose is a thing called ketones. You've probably heard good things about ketones and weight loss but sadly they are lies ): Ketones make your blood more acidic which is awful for your brain. It causes fatigue, more cognitive functioning, and sometimes, if following a low carb diet long enough, illness. You should look into credible sources when deciding to go on a low carb diet and truly understand it because you only have one body and generally low carb diets are only successful for short periods of time. Good luck!

I don't believe you are "sorry to burst your bubble" This thread was not asking for your comments, it was asking for LCHF followers. We who follow this diet do it responsibly and backed up with over 40 years of research and experience.

Stop spreading rumors that only discourage people to do what is best for themselves.

I feel fantastic and have excellent blood work to show that I am in perfect health on a LCHF diet.

• FitRican
    FitRican Posts: 98 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Count me in, I don't have a weight issue, I am working on getting a lean muscular physique. Currently on a 1600 Calories keeping carbs at 0-5% and 140-160 gm of protein. PLease let me know I can send you Lyle's Keto Diet Book in PDF I got before it became a book for sale.
  • FitRican
    Options
    I am currently reading The Ultimate Diet 2.0, form Lyle McDonald. It provides insightful
    Keto Diet references and how to align it with senseful workouts. I currently deplete glycogen on Mondays and Tuesdays with long (1 hour) split workouts, light cardio on Wednesday or small muscles like calves, abs and shoulders, full body workout on Thursday and Saturday. It works fantastic. I go on carbload after my Thursday workout for 36 hours.
  • FitRican
    Options
    I'm low carb and high fat. I've lost 101 lbs and welcome anyone to add me. =)

Good for you, keep the good work!
  • msurkan2
    msurkan2 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have been doing a Keto/LCHF diet for the last 7 days, after reading the book, "Why We Get Fat and What to Do about it." I have lost 5 pounds. I'm basically following the diet that Dr. Eastman of Duke University proscribes to his patients. It's 20 carbs per day with a ratio of about 5% carbs, 70% fat, and 25% protein, per the Keto calculator. I bought the the urine strips and they are a darkish pink now, so I think I am in Ketosis, but still feeling weak and a little nauseated. The first 5 days were awful, likely because I am insulin resistant and this is the first time ever I've kicking sugar and starches. I seriously think I went through a withdrawal of sorts. I have meal satiety and do not crave carbs. Wierd for me! Would love to keep this discussion going!
  • msurkan2
    msurkan2 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    p.s: Add me
  • AJ63736
    AJ63736 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    msurkan2 wrote: »
    p.s: Add me

Add me! My phone won't let me get to others profiles.
  • debbiewillersveik
    debbiewillersveik Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Please any/every one add me ... I've been at this LCHF for awhile now... Slacked over holidays now back at it, I also workout 4/5 days a week at the Y ... Body pump fan ... Just getting into Zumba. Anyway I tried to message and send requests but it won't let me for some reason :/ I'm looking for more friends & support :)
  • candiinalaska
    candiinalaska Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am on day 2 of lchf using diet doctor for beginners. I feel great so far but still expecting that the withdrawal symptoms might show up. I have been researching this lifestyle for several months and I have a friend who has been doing it for 4 years with amazing results. My son is a Type 1 diabetic so I have researched it with that in mind too. The diabetes university videos by Dr Bernstein have been super helpful too. I just found this thread and will look to see what other good information is here! :)
  • ScottysPearl
    ScottysPearl Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My mother and I are doing Lchf and have lost 60 lbs together so far.
  • sushisuzi2
    sushisuzi2 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Add me? My phone won't let me either!

I started low carb 1/19. Basically Atkins.
  • dms6k
    dms6k Posts: 3
    Options
    I would really love to go low carb completely! I'm still struggling.
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    This is my 6th day LCHF and I'm loving it!!! Lost (to my huge surprise) 1.2 kgs so far, with about 9 kgs to go for my first goal, then 6 more kgs. I find my brain is happier looking at it in 2 pieces ;)

I'm in this for the health benefits equally as much as the weight loss. Have been aiming for daily goals of 30-40g carbs, 100-130g fat, 70-74g protein. Some days have been over on one or two of those goals, some days under, but I'm determined not to freak out. I'm just learning a new lifestyle, the best I can each day. Those figures were thoroughly researched through multiple online sources and averaged out from many suggestions for my height, weight and body type. I'm an 'endomorph' :disappointed:

Sorry to be ignorant, but what does 'add me' mean? If it means looking at other people's food diaries I'd rather not if that's alright, I don't really have the time. Is it OK just to keep chatting on this thread to those who turn up to chat? :smiley:

Many thanks
    (and call me) May
  • AJ63736
    AJ63736 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    dms6k wrote: »
    I would really love to go low carb completely! I'm still struggling.

There are so many good foods and comparable replacements that you can eat on a low carb diet, once your past the first two weeks, it's so easy! You crave less and I promise, you'll be just way less hungry all the time! Sometimes I have to force myself to eat!
  • BellaVegas
    BellaVegas Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am starting a low carb diet too! I'll be adjusting what I eat based on weight loss and exercise, so I can't wait to see how things turn out!
    I know this is the diet for me. The past 4 weeks I worked ridiculously hard, eating less than 1500cal, and exercising every day. Per my Polar watch, I burn anywhere from 500-850 calories, but after the first 2 weeks I was not losing weight. I think low carb is the solution for my body. Add me! I've never used the social aspect of MFP.
  • maru84
    maru84 Posts: 128
    Options
    I'm LCHF too, back into it after a difficult pregnancy. I had eggs, bacon and hollandaise for breakfast! I feel great getting back to eating well, I have so much mental clarity. And this time around I don't miss carbs at all! Anyone LCHF, feel free to add me!
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I broke my LCHF diet on day three due to a soul-crushing headache. I drank plenty of water, and I eat plenty of sodium and fat. I tried caffiene and aspirin but nothing helped until I ate some carby food. I am back to counting calories instead. :(
  • williamwj2014
    williamwj2014 Posts: 750 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    gtmerlino wrote: »
    Hi there you have had some good advise sent to you and yes low carb for long periods is dangerous. Consult your Dr for short periods of no longer than a week. Be careful

There is a difference between low carb and no carb. I've been low carb for over 2 years and I'm healthier than I've ever been. The key is LOW but not NO carb. Peep my diary.

Looked at your diary and tried to find where exactly you were having a "Low Carb" day..the lowest I saw was 111g in the last 2 weeks..lol