Thoughts on "Quiting Sugar"?

Options

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hi,

What are your thoughts on quitting sugar?
    Has anyone ever quit sugar and what were you results?
    OP are you considering quitting sugar because you have trouble resisting it or because you believe it to be very unhealthy or both?

I have thought about lessening my sugar intake as in from possessed foods. Which yesterday I realized that my 2 coffees per day with half a sugar was what was putting me over my intake which I changed to a sweetener. I pretty much wanted to know how sugar free people lived such as Sarah Wilson.

I have no addictions to high sugar foods

So are you saying you find it difficult to include calories from added sugar and still stay under goal? Then reducing sugar sounds like a good plan. I am going at it another way. I increased my goal calories and am including sugar.

I don't know how much sugar a day is good and how much is bad. my intake today says my goal is 45g and am currently on 26g today as I've already added my tea and it's only 3:20pm in Aus.
    I'm surprised as my yoghurt is 170g per serving and 20.9g sugar to me this is high. Over my weight loss journey I worked from watching my calories to protein and fibre now looking at the sugar.

Can you open your food diary? Honestly, the entirety of your diet is what matters. If you are eating a lot of processed foods which is preventing you from getting adequate nutrition, it's time to go to whole sources. But I wouldn't stress sugar, especially when it comes from fruits.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Hi,

OP are you considering quitting sugar because you have trouble resisting it or because you believe it to be very unhealthy or both?

I have thought about lessening my sugar intake as in from possessed foods. Which yesterday I realized that my 2 coffees per day with half a sugar was what was putting me over my intake which I changed to a sweetener. I pretty much wanted to know how sugar free people lived such as Sarah Wilson.

So are you saying you find it difficult to include calories from added sugar and still stay under goal? Then reducing sugar sounds like a good plan. I am going at it another way. I increased my goal calories and am including sugar.

I don't know how much sugar a day is good and how much is bad. my intake today says my goal is 45g and am currently on 26g today as I've already added my tea and it's only 3:20pm in Aus.
    I'm surprised as my yoghurt is 170g per serving and 20.9g sugar to me this is high. Over my weight loss journey I worked from watching my calories to protein and fibre now looking at the sugar.

shaddowstorm I quit processed foods or most any food with added sugar or containing over 4-6 grams of natural sugar per serving. I cut out the grains because they go to sugar in the end.

The results is my arthritis pain dropped from a 7-8 to 2-3 most days now on a 1-10 scale.

I have dropped a good 15+ pounds and inches all over. My energy level is up and I can get out of a car or out to the theater seats after a movie without assistance.

I tried to cut back during Aug-Sept 2014 without luck so went cold turkey Oct 2014. I quit sugar because I was addicted to it and I learned it is very unhealthy for me.

Do not read farther unless you are a 60+ year old male. It is nice to now be able to urinate at will with a full stream pain free. I never plan to leave the low carb eating lifestyle. Helping preventing cataracts is also a plus as well chaperoned meditate autophagy to remove damaged protein particles from my cells. Google can find one more info on these points if interested.

I have been in ketosis for the past four months except after trying carbs twice. I do not plan to try carbs again unless I find a medical reason since carbs are not required for a healthy eating lifestyle and they make me feel like crap and the pain starts to return.

From other posts, you also don't eat food. You eat large quantities of coconut oil straight and supplement with protein shakes. That is completely disordered eating, and I would not recommend it to anyone else.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    tq33702 wrote: »
    'Sugar: The Bitter Truth' 1.5hr vid @YT:
    youtube.com/watch?x-yt-ts=1421914688&x-yt-cl=84503534&v=dBnniua6-oM

WNYEj9G.gif

I have seriously been missing Trog gifs in my life recently...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I keep refined carbohydrates to a minimum but I do eat complex carbs. For me, the refined carbs tend to cause cravings... and up go the pounds. Call me weak, but I've done well and feel much better when I don't eat processed foods and keep refined carbs to a minimum.
    Actually most refined carbs are complex Carbs.
    Correct, most refined carbs are complex carbs.
    I do find that I have more cravings when I eat more of some of the refined (complex) carbs.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Hi,

OP what are your reasons for cutting back on sugar - is it to get into (or remain) in a calorie deficit? If yes then maybe try cutting back on the treats or if you like fruit choose fruit containing less sugar, maybe opt for eating more veggies instead.

If it because you feel sugar is unhealthy then don't sweat it, if you are eating in a deficit the likelihood is you will not be eating sugar to excess and it will not be an unhealthy inclusion into your diet.

Most people on MFP will preach that sugar is not bad for you and I would agree (to a point), I would agree that pretty much everyone eating in a deficit will be not be eating volumes that are unhealthy, or even close to unhealthy!

That said a minority will be consuming sugar to fuel elite sporting activities - like triathlons, or for elite body building etc.... I would argue the levels of sugar and the levels of fitness these people strive for will be unhealthy to their bodies, but most things have a cost and in the pursuit of personal improvement people will be willing to pay that cost.

But for the average Joe on MFP sugar is safe. Log it enjoy and just focus on the protein, everything else will pretty much take care of itself.
  • moman83
    Options
    I have seen things on the news about the different types of sugar substitutes and what they say about them not being good for you. I finished of what I had and switchrd back to honey or sugar. I only use it in coffee or tea.

• goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    RhineDHP wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Hi,

OP, sugar is a hot-button topic here!
    While it is trendy right now to consider sugar the root of all evil, there are a lot of theories but nothing as far as proof.

Having said that, I used to eat treats like candy, cookies, ice cream, etc mindlessly and it added a lot of calories to my life! When I started making sure to get enough protein and fiber to fill me up, I had to eat less sweets to stay within my calorie goal.

So if you are having trouble staying within your goal, or if you are making your goal but hungry all the time, cutting back on sugary foods could help with satiety. But if you are hitting your calorie goal and doing well, there is no reason to waste your will-power avoiding sugar, unless you have a medical reason. Just make sure you are getting enough nutrition and food, and if a candy bar or an ice cream cone fit, enjoy!

I wanted to bump this post. This is a wonderful response.

Do the two of you understand short of breaking a sugar addiction (going 'cold turkey' for two weeks in my case) there is little to no will power required to cut out sugar because the actual cravings cease but the memory can persist.

If one has never had a sugar addiction at one has overcome getting off of sugar may sound crazy because it does not apply in that person.

Sugar is not evil just like beer is not evil because they are both just carbs. But if after one taste of either one consumes all in the house and goes out for more could be a sign of the problem with that food/food group. :)

@GaleHawkins‌
    I second the motion that the kimny72's post was a good one. The OP stated that sugar didn't feel like an addiction for her.

Gale, although I am currently on Team Moderation, if you could go back to my earliest posts, you would see that I spent a good deal of time defending the idea that sugar is like an addiction for some, me specifically. I thought complete abstinence from sugary treats was the best solution. It's only been a month since I switched teams. I'm still a work in progress. Maybe when 2016 rolls around I will be back on Team Abstinence.

So why'd I switch teams?

First, because I agree with the idea that sugar gets more mystical power over us when we abstain completely, and when we think of ourselves as "victims" of addiction. I felt strong and a little righteous when I was abstaining. But fearful that one treat would be my undoing. I have a friend who had abstained for over a year when someone cruelly waved what had been her favourite treat under her nose. She was upset for days. That treat carried way too much power over her now.

Second, because I found some "coping mechanisms". Meat and exercise. Both of them stop my sugar cravings in it's tracks.

When I was on MFP in the early months of 2014 I abstained from treats and spent quite a bit of time fretting about my upcoming birthday. I knew my family would want to have cake. It's tradition. And just having it in the house would be challenging for me. When the time came, I started with a small slice. Yum. So yummy in fact, that I wanted a second. Then, you know what, I'm not going to log today so I will sneak in a third. Then I gave in to the cravings entirely and binged. I'd had titanium willpower until that moment. I thought I would be ok.

This month I have been adding sugar to my coffee or tea when I feel like I want something sweet. Trying to convince myself that I can have a little without going crazy. So far so good. It's much easier for me to have sugar alone than in the ultra alluring combination of sugar + fat, especially when it's wrapped up in a "special day" package, like cake. But even with daily reassurance that I can have SOME sugar without losing it, I found myself worrying about a cake-centric event coming up late February. Yesterday I very purposefully had a piece of chocolate cake. I had it BEFORE lunch. I followed it up immediately with a big serving of cooked chicken. Presto! Cravings halted before they even had a chance to get going.

Maybe it's more difficult for people like me to moderate than to abstain. But I'm going to continue to try.

You may argue that it's not worth the effort. That sugar is bad for me and my efforts are misdirected. I absolutely want to eat less sugar than I was eating. I was eating large amounts at times. Very unhealthy. I want to keep the amount of sugar in my diet at a reasonable level (and perhaps we may debate what amount is reasonable). But I also don't want to feel deprived. Because I love birthday cake. And fruitcake. And pumpkin pie. I could go on ad nauseam. Maybe you know what I mean when I say that as we age, food remains one of our greatest pleasures. I want it all and I'm determined to have it, in met-my-macros-and-calorie-goal moderation.

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    moman83 wrote: »
    I have seen things on the news about the different types of sugar substitutes and what they say about them not being good for you. I finished of what I had and switchrd back to honey or sugar. I only use it in coffee or tea.

artifical sweetners are just as safe as sugar. Granted they taste like cr*p (obviously subjective) but they are safe.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    ljmorgi wrote: »
    Hi OP:
    ***disclaimer: Just for clarity, nowhere in this post do I claim the following:
    • Sasquatch is real

Oh come on, surely a Bigfoot thread would be a refreshing change from yet another sugar thread.

Have you ever watched the show "Finding Bigfoot"? I have (unfortunately I was unemployed for a while and sometimes you just watch what's on). One guy starts to make Sasquatch sounds in the middle of the woods and all I can think is "how in the world do you know what a mythical creature sounds like?"

On another note, I just rewatched the Mythbusters episode that covers the fake moon landing myths. It's a great one.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    I've definitely cut down on sugar. My demon is fireballs! Love those little round pieces of yumminess!
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    There is no need to give up sugar unless you have a medical condition that requires you to reduce sugar intake. Those are my thoughts. :)
  • Ellaskat
    Ellaskat Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I used to be a sugar addict. To the point that when I did quit sugar, I had a really nasty withdrawal like someone quitting nicotine. I had massive headaches and couldn't sit still for over a week, I was incredibly moody, crying and angry. I cut out all sugary foods, including fruits and breads, and alcohol. That was about 15 years ago.

Though some people can keep a small amount of sugar in their diet just fine, I wasn't able to do that for years and still struggle. I had to cut it out completely, and have to be very vigilant, or else I will find myself eating a whole sheet cake in less than a month.

What I noticed positively when I quit sugar- a lot of inflammation in my system went away. I used to have incredible stiffness and achiness in my shoulders and back- that went away completely- I had no idea this would happen. I'm less grouchy- I used to be ona sugar roller coaster and my moods were attached to my last sugar intake.

Those are the big differences.

I do now eat plenty of fruit, and bread/pasta occasionally. I also have sugary dessert treats from time to time- once or twice a month. I still can't have anything in the house in a large portion though. I can only bring home what I want to eat in one sitting. I have zero self control with sugar and will eat a whole container in one sitting.
  • Paul_Collyer
    Paul_Collyer Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Big difference between "giving up" sugar and "controlling" it....

Controlling it generally means you consume it but not at the expense of compromising your nutritional needs and calorie target......personally I have found this approach productive.

And of course everyone has to indulge once in a while anyway.
  • ljmorgi
    ljmorgi Posts: 264 Member
    Options

Have you ever watched the show "Finding Bigfoot"? I have (unfortunately I was unemployed for a while and sometimes you just watch what's on). One guy starts to make Sasquatch sounds in the middle of the woods and all I can think is "how in the world do you know what a mythical creature sounds like?"

On another note, I just rewatched the Mythbusters episode that covers the fake moon landing myths. It's a great one.

I only sat through about half an episode of "Finding Bigfoot" before giving it up, but I can watch those bozos on "Ghost Adventures" just about forever. Comedy gold!
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Big difference between "giving up" sugar and "controlling" it....

Controlling it generally means you consume it but not at the expense of compromising your nutritional needs and calorie target......personally I have found this approach productive.

And of course everyone has to indulge once in a while anyway.

Well said.

• DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    ljmorgi wrote: »
    Hi OP:
    ***disclaimer: Just for clarity, nowhere in this post do I claim the following:
    • Sasquatch is real

Oh come on, surely a Bigfoot thread would be a refreshing change from yet another sugar thread.

I enjoy watching The Soup's weekly review of "Finding Bigfoot." Joel McHale's indignation when Animal Planet sent the crew of "Finding Bigfoot" to Thailand was hilarious.

I am also amused that the stars of "Finding Bigfoot" know what kinds of food Bigfoot loves to eat. Bigfoot apparently loves the same kinds of foods that stoners lover.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    RhineDHP wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Hi,

OP, sugar is a hot-button topic here!
    While it is trendy right now to consider sugar the root of all evil, there are a lot of theories but nothing as far as proof.

Having said that, I used to eat treats like candy, cookies, ice cream, etc mindlessly and it added a lot of calories to my life! When I started making sure to get enough protein and fiber to fill me up, I had to eat less sweets to stay within my calorie goal.

So if you are having trouble staying within your goal, or if you are making your goal but hungry all the time, cutting back on sugary foods could help with satiety. But if you are hitting your calorie goal and doing well, there is no reason to waste your will-power avoiding sugar, unless you have a medical reason. Just make sure you are getting enough nutrition and food, and if a candy bar or an ice cream cone fit, enjoy!

I wanted to bump this post. This is a wonderful response.

Do the two of you understand short of breaking a sugar addiction (going 'cold turkey' for two weeks in my case) there is little to no will power required to cut out sugar because the actual cravings cease but the memory can persist.

If one has never had a sugar addiction at one has overcome getting off of sugar may sound crazy because it does not apply in that person.

Sugar is not evil just like beer is not evil because they are both just carbs. But if after one taste of either one consumes all in the house and goes out for more could be a sign of the problem with that food/food group. :)

@GaleHawkins‌
    I second the motion that the kimny72's post was a good one. The OP stated that sugar didn't feel like an addiction for her.

Gale, although I am currently on Team Moderation, if you could go back to my earliest posts, you would see that I spent a good deal of time defending the idea that sugar is like an addiction for some, me specifically. I thought complete abstinence from sugary treats was the best solution. It's only been a month since I switched teams. I'm still a work in progress. Maybe when 2016 rolls around I will be back on Team Abstinence.

So why'd I switch teams?

First, because I agree with the idea that sugar gets more mystical power over us when we abstain completely, and when we think of ourselves as "victims" of addiction. I felt strong and a little righteous when I was abstaining. But fearful that one treat would be my undoing. I have a friend who had abstained for over a year when someone cruelly waved what had been her favourite treat under her nose. She was upset for days. That treat carried way too much power over her now.

Second, because I found some "coping mechanisms". Meat and exercise. Both of them stop my sugar cravings in it's tracks.

When I was on MFP in the early months of 2014 I abstained from treats and spent quite a bit of time fretting about my upcoming birthday. I knew my family would want to have cake. It's tradition. And just having it in the house would be challenging for me. When the time came, I started with a small slice. Yum. So yummy in fact, that I wanted a second. Then, you know what, I'm not going to log today so I will sneak in a third. Then I gave in to the cravings entirely and binged. I'd had titanium willpower until that moment. I thought I would be ok.

This month I have been adding sugar to my coffee or tea when I feel like I want something sweet. Trying to convince myself that I can have a little without going crazy. So far so good. It's much easier for me to have sugar alone than in the ultra alluring combination of sugar + fat, especially when it's wrapped up in a "special day" package, like cake. But even with daily reassurance that I can have SOME sugar without losing it, I found myself worrying about a cake-centric event coming up late February. Yesterday I very purposefully had a piece of chocolate cake. I had it BEFORE lunch. I followed it up immediately with a big serving of cooked chicken. Presto! Cravings halted before they even had a chance to get going.

Maybe it's more difficult for people like me to moderate than to abstain. But I'm going to continue to try.

You may argue that it's not worth the effort. That sugar is bad for me and my efforts are misdirected. I absolutely want to eat less sugar than I was eating. I was eating large amounts at times. Very unhealthy. I want to keep the amount of sugar in my diet at a reasonable level (and perhaps we may debate what amount is reasonable). But I also don't want to feel deprived. Because I love birthday cake. And fruitcake. And pumpkin pie. I could go on ad nauseam. Maybe you know what I mean when I say that as we age, food remains one of our greatest pleasures. I want it all and I'm determined to have it, in met-my-macros-and-calorie-goal moderation.

goldthistime I agree what works for you is the best route for you.

After I finally broke my addiction to carbs and especially the ones from refined sugar and got free from cravings and going hungry most of the time I have two tried carbs again and there was nothing but a negative response by my body so I know they are still bad in my case.

Again I did not learn about cutting out the carbs as a diet aid but as a pain management tool.

Chaperone Mediated Autophagy and reducing my risk of cancer, stroke, Alzheimers, heart attack, Type 2 diabetes, much lower levels of pain, etc are just some of the reasons I plan to stay very low carb for the rest of my life.

Sure I accept the fact I am going to die. I just do not want to rush that reality and I want to have the best possible quality of life until death. In my case that meant in my mind breaking my sugar addiction.

At the same time I no longer love any food that I am fully aware that is going to lower the quality of my life or needless shorten my life. If our kids take as long to have kids as I did I will be 92 before I see my first grandchild.