Sweet Potato vs 'Normal' Potato

Options

Replies

• Victoriamrs
    Victoriamrs Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    As an Irish person raised on spuds I find it hard to eat white spuds without milk and butter the way my dad has made them since I was knee high to a grasshopper. So for nutritional value, balance and an attempt at everything in moderation I will switch between the two. I find sweet potatoes a little too sweet so I cut them into wedges drizzle a little olive oil and then sprinkle chilli powder or cajun spices on top and bake in the oven 20 minutes quite delish and less calories.

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,970 Member
    Options
    As an Irish person raised on spuds I find it hard to eat white spuds without milk and butter the way my dad has made them since I was knee high to a grasshopper. So for nutritional value, balance and an attempt at everything in moderation I will switch between the two. I find sweet potatoes a little too sweet so I cut them into wedges drizzle a little olive oil and then sprinkle chilli powder or cajun spices on top and bake in the oven 20 minutes quite delish and less calories.
    I eat sweet potatoes half a dozen times a year and my potatoes don't like that one little bit.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »

I bet you could cut the oil and they would still be fabulous. I will be making them. I have low blood sodium and love salty things. Thank you!

• Eatwell140
    Eatwell140 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The sweet potato is lower on the glycemic index than the white potato, meaning it doesn't spike your insulin as much. Eating foods that spike your insulin can cause cravings, and a quicker return of hunger after you eat. they also have different vitamins although both are very nutritious. To cut down on fat, I top my white potato with salsa, or (low sugar) ketchup, or turkey chili, or just eat it plain. If I have a craving for butter and sour cream on my white potato, I use ButterBuds and fat free Greek yogurt instead, to save a lot of calories. I eat sweet potatoes plain.
  • neanderthin
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Eatwell140 wrote: »
    The sweet potato is lower on the glycemic index than the white potato, meaning it doesn't spike your insulin as much. Eating foods that spike your insulin can cause cravings, and a quicker return of hunger after you eat. they also have different vitamins although both are very nutritious. To cut down on fat, I top my white potato with salsa, or (low sugar) ketchup, or turkey chili, or just eat it plain. If I have a craving for butter and sour cream on my white potato, I use ButterBuds and fat free Greek yogurt instead, to save a lot of calories. I eat sweet potatoes plain.
    No sweet potato isn't lower on the "GI" Not to mention that the potato is the most satiating food source on the planet.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    They're both totally fine. I like both, I actually had potatoes for breakfast (and last night).
  • alienbabyjen
    alienbabyjen Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I truly hate the taste of sweet potatoes. Russets are my best friends, though.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

I bet you could cut the oil and they would still be fabulous. I will be making them. I have low blood sodium and love salty things. Thank you!

spray oil *nods* to self

What on earth is a butter bud?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Is anyone else here weird like me and sometimes craves a baked potato just for the skin?

This!
  • neanderthin
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Goats maybe, never asked.

• AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I love both types of potatoes. I tend to buy smaller ones of each so that 1 is a portion for me. I bake them withOUT piercing the skin - they get much creamier when they can steam in their own skin and then you don't need loads of butter. yum! I agree the sweet can be very sweet especially when properly baked, but I love all that caramelized natural sugar with some fresh spicy hot peppers diced thrown on and a touch of greek yogurt or goat cheese. Amazing.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

spray oil *nods* to self

With Kerry Gold in the world, who'd want one anyway? Butter is worth the calories for a little pat of the good stuff.

• PeachyCarol
    Options
    but I love all that caramelized natural sugar with some fresh spicy hot peppers diced thrown on and a touch of greek yogurt or goat cheese. Amazing.

That combination sounds utterly delectable. I'm making a grocery list and adding chilis to it.

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Regular potatoes don't taste good with maple syrup.

Oh, but you are wrong there. Mix up cold mashed potatoes with an egg or two and some finely diced onion, shape into patties and fry in butter. These taste wonderful with a little maple syrup (only the real stuff) drizzled over top.

(My state is #3 in potato production and #8 in maple syrup production so it is inevitable that they meet)

ETA: we also are #1 in cranberry production, almost doubling the production of Massachusetts and yes, cranberry sauce mixed with mashed potatoes is very yummy!

• mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    The biggest difference is that "normal" potatoes are delicious and sweet potatoes are disgusting. ;)
  • neanderthin
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

Oh, but you are wrong there. Mix up cold mashed potatoes with an egg or two and some finely diced onion, shape into patties and fry in butter. These taste wonderful with a little maple syrup (only the real stuff) drizzled over top.
    Don't forget the bacon, duh. lol

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

Don't forget the bacon, duh. lol

Bacon goes on the side (or sausage, depending on what leftovers you are trying to get rid of)

• PeachyCarol
    Options

(My state is #3 in potato production and #8 in maple syrup production so it is inevitable that they meet)

ETA: we also are #1 in cranberry production, almost doubling the production of Massachusetts and yes, cranberry sauce mixed with mashed potatoes is very yummy!

I'm all for salty and sweet, but I can't quite wrap my head around that combination.

I've even had syrup touch hash browns... never cared for it. It must be that coloring my view.

Those potato cakes sound delicious, though.

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    They're both good. Although I only like sweet potatoes when they're made to be more savory (very good with curry powder!). I can't do the traditional way with marshmallows, syrup, etc..