Thinking about drastically cutting my carb intake

Options

Replies

• Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a fad diet OP. Fads come and go. Your diet should be a lifelong thing, something you can sustain. Just count your calories. That is really all it comes down to.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    E_Ashton wrote:
    A person who doesn't eat meat or at least limits it tends to have a lower BMI and also meats and dairy products don't do much for the body except clog up arteries!
    Weight loss or gain is simply calories in / calories out.
    I know someone who's vegetarian (because it's easier to eat kosher), as are her kids (dad eats meat, but has to cook it himself), and the whole family is morbidly obese.
    The mom (vegetarian) could easily stand to lose 150-200 lb.
    Dad is probably close to 100 lb overweight.
    The kids are different ages, but again both could probably lose at least 50 lb (the older one more).

Meats & dairy products bring protein (the most complete kind). Yes, they also have some unhealthy fats.
  • Brolympus
    Options
    E_Ashton wrote: »
    A person who doesn't eat meat or at least limits it tends to have a lower BMI and also meats and dairy products don't do much for the body except clog up arteries! Nothing wrong with carbs as long as you calorie count! :)

headbashwall.gif
  • E_Ashton
    E_Ashton Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You can get protein out of other things! I'm just saying cheeses and things hold a lot of fat that you could cut out. I'm not trying to preach and say yeh go vegan I'm saying instead of cutting carbs cut out some dairy and meat.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    You can get protein out of other things! I'm just saying cheeses and things hold a lot of fat that you could cut out. I'm not trying to preach and say yeh go vegan I'm saying instead of cutting carbs cut out some dairy and meat.

Why though, besides your view on the fat that's in them (which fat isn't all bad for you. One needs fat in their diet). What good reason is there to cut out meats and dairy?
  • E_Ashton
    E_Ashton Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying cut them out all together! They are just high in saturated fat and can cause heart problems! It's better for your body to not over consume that's all!
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Eating higher protein & lower carbs does lead to more weight loss, but you should stay within the healthy macro ranges. Try 45% carbs, 20% fat, 35% protein.
    Quotes from & links to the studies here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-08-09-high-protein-diet-685553

And here's a table which explains the healthy ranges:
    http://www.iom.edu/Global/News%20Announcements/~/media/C5CD2DD7840544979A549EC47E56A02B.ashx

page 1, carbs, 45 - 65% of calories (4 cal per gram)
    page 2, fat, 20 - 35% of calories (9 cal per gram)
    page 4, protein, 10 - 35% of calories (4 cal per gram)

You might also benefit from reading this from the Academy of Nutrition & Dietetics, explaining what makes a fad diet & why you should avoid them.
    http://www.eatright.org/Public/content.aspx?id=6851

Also, their analysis of a ketosis diet.
    http://www.eatright.org/Media/content.aspx?id=6442481516&terms=ketosis
    "the diet includes only 20 grams of net carbs, which clearly supports fast weight loss that is primarily water from the severe carbohydrate restriction"
    "this is less than half the established minimum level of 120 grams of carbohydrates that are required for adequate brain function and daily energy. [A lower] carbohydrate level doesn't support good health or energy needs for regular physical activity and may actually slow down metabolism."
    "Any diet that omits whole food groups will not provide optimal nutrition for optimal health."
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Carbs are your body's preferred source of energy. If you switch to a low carb diet, your body will adapt in a couple weeks and learn to use protein and fats for energy. At that point you should no longer feel like crap. Much. But what's the point of putting your body through that? Unless you have a medical condition or if you have no need of energy (completely sedentary lifestyle), you were built to eat carbs.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying cut them out all together! They are just high in saturated fat and can cause heart problems! It's better for your body to not over consume that's all!

There are a lot of things that are high in saturated fats.
  • KetoLife4Me15
    KetoLife4Me15 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Agree with Brolympus on many of these comments. Do your own research, not what you learn from people who are relying on heresay and belief in old principles fed to us by our government and studies funded by the very people who benefit from us staying unhealthy. Saturated fat is good for you. Your body does not need carbs for energy.

headbashwall.gif
    [/quote]

• CamoGirl1985
    CamoGirl1985 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I think it kind of depends on your fitness level too..... Are you athletic and work out HARD during your periods of exercise? Are you are a runner or trying to body build? If that is the case than cutting out carbs would be very detrimental to your health and overall goals. However, are you sedentary? Do you work a desk job like me? If so, cutting some carbs (especially simple carbs) may help you. I have cut way back on my carbohydrate intake and I have been feeling great. Some stomach/digestive issues I've had for over a year have greatly improved. One drawback though, is that I don't have a lot of energy for workouts. However, once I drop a few more pounds (makes things easier on my joints), I am going to increase carbs again and start using that source of energy to work out harder. I don't think there is any reason not to watch your carb intake, but I do not suggest going as low as you plan on. Try for about 30-35% of your caloric intake and see how you feel. Also, make sure the carbs that you DO eat are complex carbs. Good luck to you!
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options

DO you even science?
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Meats and dairy are some of the best ways to get protein. I think the benefits far outweigh the drawbacks. Of course, that's my opinion, but I think most will agree that protein sources like meat and dairy have far more to offer than carbs. I fail to see how your advice is beneficial to the OP, unless the OP has heart problems.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    You body uses carbs for energy and all sorts of other things. Cutting them out is not sustainable for the long term.
    http://www.cdc.gov/nutrition/everyone/basics/carbs.html
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    You know what's delicious? Carbs. Also: Dairy. And fat. And, you know....food.

I heartily recommend eating a little bit of all of those things, and more. Just don't overdo it.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    You know what's delicious? Carbs. Also: Dairy. And fat. And, you know....food.

I heartily recommend eating a little bit of all of those things, and more. Just don't overdo it.

+1
  • Brolympus
    Options
    There is a lot of good advice and a lot of broscience in here OP. You need carbs, plain and simple. Like all good things, moderation is key. There is a pretty big range where the calories you get from carbs as a % of your diet is considered healthy. If you try to keep it under 60%, that is good. Too much might make your blood sugar shoot sky-high and then drop really low after a few hours, which might not feel so great, but that is the extent of the short-term effects.

The reason these low-carb diets seem to work is they are actually limiting calories. Most modern foods have a ton of carbohydrates per serving size, which, coincidentally, have more calories because of it (every 1g of carb produces 4 calories. 4 calories per 1g protein, 9 calories per 1g fat, in case you were wondering).

Eating some lower carb foods, like veggies, might help you feel fuller, because you need to eat more to get the some amount of calories, and you will lose weight as a byproduct of eating less because you don't feel hungry as often. But you are not losing weight directly from cutting the carbs. You are losing the weight from being in a calorie defecit. Don't confuse correlation with causation.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    bostonsdig wrote: »
    Agree with Brolympus on many of these comments. Do your own research, not what you learn from people who are relying on heresay and belief in old principles fed to us by our government and studies funded by the very people who benefit from us staying unhealthy. Saturated fat is good for you. Your body does not need carbs for energy.

headbashwall.gif

[/quote]

The body has fail-safe mechanisms in place to ensure it gets a bare minimum of glucose, even though after an adaptation period the body can make do on alternate fuel-don't you think carbs might be more important than some would have you believe.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    xsix wrote: »
    I have been doing some research, seems that cutting my carb intake even lower and entering a state of Ketosis may be the answer for me, Brown Rice is one of my staple foods, so this is going to be interesting. My fitness pal budgets about 240 Grams of Carbohydrates a day, this will mean cutting down to around 30 Grams a day super low-carb diet.

Here is one of the articles that I read about it.
    http://www.schwarzenegger.com/fitness/post/carb-back-loading-training-without-carbs

What do you think?

I think "why"? Cutting carbs will be the answer to what?
  • VickiMitkins
    VickiMitkins Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    No! A major food group should not be cut out from anyone's diet. Its unsustainable and extremely unhealthy. Your body needs carbs, its the main food group that gives you energy. Just limit processed carbs and eat complex carbs, limit meat and dairy. Cut out saturated fat, eat good fats. Simple changes have a big impact over time. Its not gonna happen over night. Any diet that claims really fast initial weight loss will just be water weight you lose not fat ....

Unsustainable - no (will be for some won't be for others)
    Extremely unhealthy - no (not even mildly unhealthy, in fact very healthy)
    Your body needs carbs - no (at least not dietary).
    Limit meat - no
    limit dairy - no (unless you are intolerant of diary)
    cut out saturated fats - no (hell no)
    eat good fats - yes (best fat is saturated fat - worst is man made trans fats and limit your polyunsaturated fats)

Apart from those amendments, what she said.

Why do you say to limit polyunsaturated fats? My thought is the potential imbalance of Omega 3 and 6.