Stronglifts vs P90x vs Crossfit vs ???

Options
124»

Replies

• rrabe78
    rrabe78 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I strongly recommend reading Starting Strength. Riptoe walks you through the form for each exercise in detail, and offers tips on how to check and improve your mobility. It starts you from square one and walks you through doing it right. It is a great resource with lots of pictures and descriptions on how things should look and feel when done properly.
  • itsclobberintime
    itsclobberintime Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    All three are different workouts with different results. I personally would stick with a PL program and some HIIT cardio, but everyone has different preferences and goals.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Robbnva wrote: »
    I would do it all just so your body won't adapt.

Why don't you want your body to adapt?

because broscience

What's broscience

Bro science is the science that says eaing after 10 PM makes you fat.

You can, eat at a deficit, lift, get lean muscles- and lose fat- and have 150% of your energy all the time- AND still eat all the cake you want- as long as you get enough protein.

That eating 2 cups of rice makes you bloated and there for are gluten intolerant.

That you must curl 2.5 x body weight.

Protein trumps all marcos.

that sort of thing- all bro-science.

Like Gluten is a precursor to Ebola?

and sugar is swine flu in waiting.

yes this too.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    I'd love to get my own system but the rack alone is expensive, then the weights & bar too.

You can build your own rack out of wood.
    Craigslist, play it again sports, etc.
  • Robbnva
    Robbnva Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I'd love to get my own system but the rack alone is expensive, then the weights & bar too.

Idk bout building out of wood, would cost a ton just buying the necessary tools first lol. I'm just going to try and take videos during my next 2 sessions. I'll not increase my weights so I can do stuff that I can handle.

Side note, some of the weights seem easy and some seem hard. On the easy ones can I bump up to a heavier weight instead of sticking with the natural progression?
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options

Idk bout building out of wood, would cost a ton just buying the necessary tools first lol. I'm just going to try and take videos during my next 2 sessions. I'll not increase my weights so I can do stuff that I can handle.

Side note, some of the weights seem easy and some seem hard. On the easy ones can I bump up to a heavier weight instead of sticking with the natural progression?

If it feels way too easy, add 5lbs and see how it feels...but remember that how it feels on the first rep is not how it will feel on the last! :)
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Since most of those "programs" involve high foot impact I stay away from them. Lifting, swimming, and some spin classes. But even spin classes I have to be careful not to relax and let weight shift to my wrists.
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options

If it feels way too easy, add 5lbs and see how it feels...but remember that how it feels on the first rep is not how it will feel on the last! :)
    And also keep in mind that you progress pretty fast. Adding 5 pounds per session means you are adding 15 pounds a week to squats - or 45 pounds in a month if you are lifting 3x/week - or 30 pounds in a month for the other lifts. My advice would be even if it seems pretty easy just stay with it and work on your form because, most likely, in no time at all you will hit failure on one of the lifts and need to de-load.
  • gchorny
    gchorny Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey, funny enough I actually learned few things from the broscience videos.

As for the proper form, motivation, etc., have you tried reddit? I suggest http://www.reddit.com/r/fitness for general fitness talk, http://www.reddit.com/r/Stronglifts5x5 for SL 5x5 related discussions. There is a lot of talk on the latter about form, people posting videos, critique etc so that might be a good starting point for you.

Also suggest joining BTFC9 ( Body Transformation Fitness Challenge 9 - www.reddit.com/r/btfc ) whenever it is announced. I recently finished their BTFC8 with decent results. Went XL -> L, Size 42 -> 34, etc and ain't going back. :neutral:

I would do it all just so your body won't adapt.

Why don't you want your body to adapt?

because broscience

What's broscience