So how did you all fix your cravings for fast food?

Options

Replies

• kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Went cold turkey. Now, it depends on your definition of fast food. Like I haven't eaten McDonalds, Burger King, Taco Bell for about 7 years, but Subway and Chipolte do sneak their way in every once in awhile. But it is something I rarely crave.
  • smithjl2
    smithjl2 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I used to get fast food breakfast ALL THE TIME, but recently I made a bunch of breakfast burritos and froze them. They were SUPER easy. They definitely still had some calories, but at least I knew exactly what went into them - a roll of sausage, 1/2 onion, 1 red pepper, 1 green pepper, 10 eggs, 10 tortillas, some red pepper flakes. It comes out to around 350 calories per burrito. They tasted just like McDonald's, but were more convenient and even cheaper in the long run. I made them on a Sunday night and it only took me about 25 minutes to get them ready.

Feel free to add me and I can share some recipes with you that are delicious!
  • Efflictim
    Efflictim Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    I didn't. I just eat less of it.

^ This. If i'm craving something, im going to eat it. Just less and in moderation.
  • raematex
    Options
    Personally, I drink a bottle of water every time I get hungry. If I'm still hungry after 20 minutes I'll eat wholegrain rice cakes or another wholegrain, high fibre/high protein food.
  • KarenB927
    KarenB927 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I just decided back in 2009 that my husband and I weren't going to eat fast food anymore and we haven't. In 2012 I was diagnosed with celiac disease after dealing with thyroid disease, so sticking with it hasn't been a problem. Even if I wanted fast food, I can't eat it.
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I don't eat it because medically (serious sodium restriction) I can't.....But damn I miss Arby's sometimes. And McDonald's fries. A few months ago I had a small fry and it was the best thing EVER. After awhile the cravings just stopped. I had to learn to cook a lot better LOL, but they did stop.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    lgutches wrote: »
    Gosh ...A lot of hostility here. Sry to bring that out in you. Just trying to help with an idea of how to avoid the thing that you are trying to avoid eating a lot of.

you judged people based on food choice....people responded...not sure why you are surprised.

? I'm confused. Fast food is universally acknowledged as not being healthy, despite some efforts made to adjust that image. The OP herself is asking for adviceon how to avoid or reduce consumption. I think you just enjoy arguing. I have done nothing but agree that it should be avoided and offer my way of doing it (for me and my kids). OP, again I apologize for this distraction. I will stop my part in hijacking your request for ideas. I hope you get some great ideas here! :)
    Fast food IS unhealthy. But folks can get away with eating some unhealthy foods. I find it easier to do with out (easier to stay at my maintenance level, and easier in terms of how I feel). But some folks prefer adding it in to their diets.

really, how so?

I find your campaign to stop people from name calling of certain foods fascinating. Reminds me a bit of efforts to stop people from using pejorative terms for sexual orientation, race, disabilities etc. Amusing to think of "junk food" as the maligned underdog. I DO agree that it is not always unhealthy. Context matters. Maybe I have been sweating a bunch and need that extra salt. And there have definitely been times where I needed something sugary (like during a tennis match that has gone on too long and it's now lunchtime). But I also agree that in most situations, you can make a much healthier choice than "junk food".

• candacefausset
    candacefausset Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Our "quitting" fast food wasn't a matter of believing fast food is evil. But the price sure is! lol We took a look at our monthly bank statement and decided eating out wasn't for us anymore. We want to buy a house this year and fast food wasn't in the budget plan for that. I started cooking at home and found that if I ate a big portion of veggies and low calorie foods I would be too full to want to indulge in massive treats. I still eat chocolate most nights just a smaller portion. But I was forced to eat dinner out a couple nights ago because of an emergency. We has wendys. I looked up their nutritional info and found I could have two sandwiches for under 600 calories if I changed up the sauces (sub mustard for ketchup and mayo) or go dry. I honestly didn't enjoy it other than the bacon on one of the sandwiches (bc bacon is bacon is yummy) but I was hungry and had to eat something. But because we are cooking at home so much now, our tastes for foods have just changed. We can still have something if we want to as long as it fits into our calorie budget and our financial budget. I just don't want to much anymore.

But overall, most people here are right. An occasional indulgence will not derail you. Earn some extra calories with exercise. If your goal is weight loss, it's probably wise not to eat it for every meal and probably not every day. But once in a while is going to help you keep your sanity while you are learning fast food doesn't have to be a part of every meal but can still play a part in an overall healthy lifestyle in moderation.
  • Ellaskat
    Ellaskat Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Ellaskat wrote: »
    Gosh ...A lot of hostility here. Sry to bring that out in you. Just trying to help with an idea of how to avoid the thing that you are trying to avoid eating a lot of.

you judged people based on food choice....people responded...not sure why you are surprised.

? I'm confused. Fast food is universally acknowledged as not being healthy, despite some efforts made to adjust that image. The OP herself is asking for adviceon how to avoid or reduce consumption. I think you just enjoy arguing. I have done nothing but agree that it should be avoided and offer my way of doing it (for me and my kids). OP, again I apologize for this distraction. I will stop my part in hijacking your request for ideas. I hope you get some great ideas here! :)

You are not alone. I agree with you, some people just don't like hearing it. I avoid all processed foods to the greatest extent possible. Fast food isn't alone in its unhealthfulness, but it certainly is not good for you. That doesn't mean you have to completely cut it out of your diet, but you're fooling yourself if you believe having a moderate amount is as healthy as never having it- it's not. Crap is crap - better to eat healthfully than crappy foods. Not picking on fast food- I love cakes and cupcakes- they aren't healthy for me either. I don't live in denial they are healthy though, I just know that I'm happy to sacrifice a little health for how much I love them!

no such thing as crappy food..

cakes and cupcakes are processed...just FYI ...

That's exactly my point- I do my best, know it is bad for me, and about once a month, choose to eat something like that anyway. Try reading- maybe you'll get the point.

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options

Fast food IS unhealthy. But folks can get away with eating some unhealthy foods. I find it easier to do with out (easier to stay at my maintenance level, and easier in terms of how I feel). But some folks prefer adding it in to their diets.

really, how so?

I find your campaign to stop people from name calling of certain foods fascinating. Reminds me a bit of efforts to stop people from using pejorative terms for sexual orientation, race, disabilities etc. Amusing to think of "junk food" as the maligned underdog. I DO agree that it is not always unhealthy. Context matters. Maybe I have been sweating a bunch and need that extra salt. And there have definitely been times where I needed something sugary (like during a tennis match that has gone on too long and it's now lunchtime). But I also agree that in most situations, you can make a much healthier choice than "junk food".

Maybe it needs a PC name, like "alternatively nutritious".

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I am looking mainly I guess for recipes or tricks that will trick my craving into thinking I am eating fast food, but am really not.... lol.
    I went to mcdonalds. Got some food.

A year later, wanted it again so I had some.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

really, how so?

I find your choice to keep calling food "junk" amusing.

when you boil it down there is no such thing as healthy or unhealthy, it is the overall diet that matters.

Also, you did not address my question.

How is fast food unhealthy in the context of an overall diet?

You can deflect all you want, but how about you try and answer the question?
  • Ellaskat
    Options

^^True this. And the fact is, everything is processed technically.
    Many of us want to avoid overly processed, packaged foods with many things added to them to "improve" (?) the flavor and extend shelf life, which may not be as nutritiously healthy for us.

[/quote]

NDJ, will you find a way to argue with this, too?[/quote]

Umm, no, not everything is processed technically. If you eat all whole foods you cook yourself, you're not eating commercially processed foods.

• ndj1979
    Options

You are not alone. I agree with you, some people just don't like hearing it. I avoid all processed foods to the greatest extent possible. Fast food isn't alone in its unhealthfulness, but it certainly is not good for you. That doesn't mean you have to completely cut it out of your diet, but you're fooling yourself if you believe having a moderate amount is as healthy as never having it- it's not. Crap is crap - better to eat healthfully than crappy foods. Not picking on fast food- I love cakes and cupcakes- they aren't healthy for me either. I don't live in denial they are healthy though, I just know that I'm happy to sacrifice a little health for how much I love them!

That's exactly my point- I do my best, know it is bad for me, and about once a month, choose to eat something like that anyway. Try reading- maybe you'll get the point.

It is not bad...

how about you read and try to see my point.

Also, please define "processed food" for me?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Umm, no, not everything is processed technically. If you eat all whole foods you cook yourself, you're not eating commercially processed foods.
    Yes you are.

Unless you're gathering from your own animal kills and garden.

What do you think you find in the market? How did those things get there? Seriously, just think.
  • candacefausset
    candacefausset Posts: 297 Member
    Options

In and of itself, it's not unhealthy. Excessively consumed - probably (just based on sodium, IMO). But as part of a well balanced diet, it's not unhealthy. I had an Egg McMuffin the other morning, it was 300 calories, 17g of protein. It was a good breakfast and didn't ruin my day food wise, or my body health wise.

Anyway, I don't get fast food cravings, so I don't know what it feels like. We eat fast food when we need to for convenience. In my opinion, making stuff forbidden will lead to cravings, because we always want what we can't have, right?

I think allowing yourself to eat it occasionally will help, but if you're not comfortable with that, play around at home - there are so many copy cat recipes out there.

I agree with this. I think my confusion is more about why they thinking I'm judging anyone. ;) Egg McMuffin ... mmm. The idea of a Whopper sitting on a counter for a year without one bit of degradation is more the nasty image in my head. Yes, I am judging that Whopper. Everyone should. Blech.

Honey won't degrade or spoil ever. A bag of pasta or wheat flour or sugar can sit out for several years without going bad (unless some bugs get into it or moisture). Mayo, ketchup and mustard can be kept out of refrigeration because the amount of vinegar in them makes it impossible for bacteria to thrive. Just because a food doesn't spoil in the way you think it should doesn't mean anything. Additionally, if you haven't done it yourself, I wouldn't necessarily believe what you heard or read somewhere. I heard tale once that coke will remove the battery acid build up on your cars battery and everyone took that as a sign of how bad it was for you. Anything that contains water has a pH level to it. Meaning it is either neutral, acidic or alkaline. Acids degrade bases and bases degrade acids. You can do the same thing with baking soda and vinegar. Doesn't make them bad at all. Or I once heard that Mcdonalds Ice Cream is only one molecule away from being plastic. While this is COMPLETELY untrue, one molecule is all that makes up the difference between many substances. H2O is water. Add a single molecule of Oxygen and you get H2O2 which is Hydrogen Peroxide. You don't want to drink that stuff by the glass but that doesn't mean water is bad just because it is one molecule away from being hydrogen peroxide. So many of these "articles" you have probably heard of are meant to deceive and to misinform and mislead. Others are just people who do not logically or rationally understand how science works.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Many of us want to avoid overly processed, packaged foods with many things added to them to "improve" (?) the flavor and extend shelf life, which may not be as nutritiously healthy for us.

NDJ, will you find a way to argue with this, too?[/quote]

[/quote]

do you kill and skin your own cow??? Technically the skinning and gutting process would be considered "processing"...
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Went cold turkey. Now, it depends on your definition of fast food. Like I haven't eaten McDonalds, Burger King, Taco Bell for about 7 years, but Subway and Chipolte do sneak their way in every once in awhile. But it is something I rarely crave.

I haven't sworn off anything, but McDonalds and Burger King rarely appeal to me anymore. I do go to Wendy's once in a while for one of their salads and I do the same with Potbelly's and Subway. Chipotle is probably the most frequent fast food I eat. But the best of all is pizza. If I could get away with it I think I'd eat pizza everday.

BTW, since I pretty much quit eating fast food burgers and gradually lost my taste for them, I started noticing the smell. At first I couldn't figure out what the nasty stench was from when coworkers ate their lunch at their desks, but I finally figured it out it was the fries. I still think fries taste good when I eat them, but I have to jump right in before the smell overwhelms me.

• Ellaskat
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

NDJ, will you find a way to argue with this, too?

[/quote]
    Yes you are.

Unless you're gathering from your own animal kills and garden.

What do you think you find in the market? How did those things get there? Seriously, just think.[/quote]

Sure- I can google for you since you can't for yourself: here's one of many many similar definitions. And first by the way, I do cook food from my own garden, or my root cellar, or my canned foods, and buy meat from a farmer who lives about 3 miles down the road from me, I barter with a neighbor for the venison and fish he hunts, though you don't have to do that to stay away from processed foods.

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/processed-food-definition-2074.html
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options

really, how so?

I find your choice to keep calling food "junk" amusing.

when you boil it down there is no such thing as healthy or unhealthy, it is the overall diet that matters.

Also, you did not address my question.

How is fast food unhealthy in the context of an overall diet?

You can deflect all you want, but how about you try and answer the question?

Hey! I used quotes! Pretend they are air quotes, does that help? In all honesty your campaign has altered my thinking. I now add the occasional bit of "alternatively nutritious" food to my diet without guilt.

This discussion has been closed.