So how did you all fix your cravings for fast food?

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    lgutches wrote: »
    Gosh ...A lot of hostility here. Sry to bring that out in you. Just trying to help with an idea of how to avoid the thing that you are trying to avoid eating a lot of.

you judged people based on food choice....people responded...not sure why you are surprised.

? I'm confused. Fast food is universally acknowledged as not being healthy, despite some efforts made to adjust that image. The OP herself is asking for adviceon how to avoid or reduce consumption. I think you just enjoy arguing. I have done nothing but agree that it should be avoided and offer my way of doing it (for me and my kids). OP, again I apologize for this distraction. I will stop my part in hijacking your request for ideas. I hope you get some great ideas here! :)
    Fast food IS unhealthy. But folks can get away with eating some unhealthy foods. I find it easier to do with out (easier to stay at my maintenance level, and easier in terms of how I feel). But some folks prefer adding it in to their diets.

really, how so?

I find your campaign to stop people from name calling of certain foods fascinating. Reminds me a bit of efforts to stop people from using pejorative terms for sexual orientation, race, disabilities etc. Amusing to think of "junk food" as the maligned underdog. I DO agree that it is not always unhealthy. Context matters. Maybe I have been sweating a bunch and need that extra salt. And there have definitely been times where I needed something sugary (like during a tennis match that has gone on too long and it's now lunchtime). But I also agree that in most situations, you can make a much healthier choice than "junk food".

I think a lot of people want all foods to be seen as "available" during a diet because studies and experience prove that allowing yourself an indulgence or a treat is 10 times more likely to result in successful, safe and maintainable weight loss. To me, it isn't so much about defending fast food as it is helping people succeed. If they know that nothing is off limits, they are less likely to binge after a long stint of depriving themselves. In the process of indulging occasionally and in moderation, they are further learning to think about food differently. They are learning about what their food is made of (as far as calories and macros) and how to meet those goals via portion control so that they can make a lifestyle change instead of just dieting to meet a goal and then going back to the old way and gaining everything back.
    Yup, I agree.

But we also need to recognize that it's easy for people to over eat food that is formulated to make us want more. I never did answer the OP's question. I agree with the "cook more" comments. I'm having to learn to do that myself. I was eating too many protein bars for a while. And don't be be overly stingy with those bad guys, fat salt and sugar in your own cooking. If what you are cooking isn't tantalizing, you're still going to prefer fast food. Lastly, I get cravings when I haven't had enough protein. Have a look at your macros (use the weekly feature).

LOL ...tin foil hat and basement time!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Gosh ...A lot of hostility here. Sry to bring that out in you. Just trying to help with an idea of how to avoid the thing that you are trying to avoid eating a lot of.

you judged people based on food choice....people responded...not sure why you are surprised.

? I'm confused. Fast food is universally acknowledged as not being healthy, despite some efforts made to adjust that image. The OP herself is asking for adviceon how to avoid or reduce consumption. I think you just enjoy arguing. I have done nothing but agree that it should be avoided and offer my way of doing it (for me and my kids). OP, again I apologize for this distraction. I will stop my part in hijacking your request for ideas. I hope you get some great ideas here! :)
    Fast food IS unhealthy. But folks can get away with eating some unhealthy foods. I find it easier to do with out (easier to stay at my maintenance level, and easier in terms of how I feel). But some folks prefer adding it in to their diets.

really, how so?

I find your campaign to stop people from name calling of certain foods fascinating. Reminds me a bit of efforts to stop people from using pejorative terms for sexual orientation, race, disabilities etc. Amusing to think of "junk food" as the maligned underdog. I DO agree that it is not always unhealthy. Context matters. Maybe I have been sweating a bunch and need that extra salt. And there have definitely been times where I needed something sugary (like during a tennis match that has gone on too long and it's now lunchtime). But I also agree that in most situations, you can make a much healthier choice than "junk food".

Yes, but really, isn't that usually the case? I had a tuna melt for lunch. I'm sure I could have picked something better - it could have used more fat, for one, but eating it won't stop me from getting a balanced diet today. Does that make the tuna melt bad?

Do you run around making sure that at every meal you're eating absolutely the best option available?

Personally, so long as what you're eating isn't negatively impacting your goals, I'd think that would be enough.

----

OP, if you want to avoid fast food, I think your best bet is to prep other food you like better. Most times, you should happily pick that over the fast food so long as it is fairly convenient. For me, I want fast food when my pre-prepped stuff isn't terribly appetizing for whatever reason.

But, sometimes when you want a certain food, nothing else will do - then get what fits in your day and enjoy it. Don't feel guilty about it, or it just adds fuel to the fire.

Edited: deleted don't because completely changed the meaning of the sentence from what I intended. Teach me not to post and work at the same time.
  • toronto_j
    toronto_j Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    OK, not demonising any foods here but I successfully and permanently curbed my cravings for fast food. It's a craving for fat and salt, both which used to be hard to come by (paleolithic), and both are needed for the body.

For medical reasons, hubby and I curbed our fat and salt intake for one month. Home-cooked meals, vigilance. My tastes in vegetables changed as without salt they needed something else to pump up their flavour. I found I had to eat very fresh vegetables, skillfully prepared with flavourings such as garlic, onion, herbs. I began picking stronger flavoured vegetables as well like parsnips.

Our tastes did adjust to the new diet, and subtle flavours became more pronounced.

After that one month, we both craved KFC so ordered a meal. It was horrible.

Guess what? Commercially salted soups and fast food now taste terrible. All you taste is salt and fat!

I still go out and eat fast food, but I may just order the burger with a salad. I'll steal a fry or two from hubby's stash. It's all about moderation and loving your choices. All of them.

Seniors may have to switch to a low-salt diet in order to protect their kidneys. It happens.

I went to a yoga retreat with a friend and they had a phenomenal vegetarian chef so we ate awesome food the whole weekend. On the drive back, we stopped at Swiss Chalet (Canadian chain for broiled chicken, ribs, fries etc) and we were both pretty disappointed. It just seemed so flavourless and nutritionally void.
  • Choobey
    Choobey Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    L8riser wrote: »
    Fast foods are very tempting, since they're on pretty much every corner and oh so convenient. Here are some of my tricks...
    I try to plan to have it over the weekend only. so if I crave it on Wednesday... I'll tell myself to wait til the weekend, by then I've forgetten or something better has replaced the craving.
    I try to get to bed early...so no late night cravings.
    I also try to prepare snacks.
    If I really want that burger, I have to go get it...in other words, don't send someone to do your "dirty" deed. If I'm not willing to get off the couch, get dressed, and walk/drive to get the burger, then it's not worth it. Be accountable either prepare it or get it yourself.

Loved this quote! I used to do the same thing, now I do not really crave them as much as I used too, it just went away after awhile. When I really want something I try to go for the healthier version, like getting a grilled chicken sandwhich with cheese and not eating the bun but eating all the french fries!!

Good luck!

• ovinas1
    ovinas1 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    fast food is fast food. Im guessing places with drive thrus, 99 menus, walk up to the counter and order. everyt meal is 1000 calories (small)
    A restaurant could be a alot different. every restaurant has broiled meat and vegetables.(the safe way out)
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    The truth is I went cold turkey on it. I reminded myself that even as cheap as it is, the same dollars spent at the grocery go farther. I buy 93% lean ground beef to make my own hamburger patties, I cook potato wedges in the oven, I buy reduced fat cheese. Voila, I can haz cheezburger!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    ovinas1 wrote: »
    fast food is fast food. Im guessing places with drive thrus, 99 menus, walk up to the counter and order. everyt meal is 1000 calories (small)
    A restaurant could be a alot different. every restaurant has broiled meat and vegetables.(the safe way out)

ehh?

you can get a number one from Wendy's with a small fry and it comes in at like 500 calories..

you can go to McDonalds and get the chicken sandwich and it is like 250 calories...
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »
    Seems to me that after awhile of eating homemade food that is lower in sodium and sugar the urge to eat any restaraunt food waned and nowadays I can hardly stand any restaurant food as it is just way to salty. I gag at the just the thought of fast food.

So you just don't go out to eat at restaurants? Like, ever? And I'm not talking fast food places. I'm talking sit-down, lingering meal, several courses restaurant.
    Such a sad, sad existence.

Yeah, sharing all your meals with friends or family at your home or theirs sounds horrible. How could we possibly be happy without paying strangers to cook for and serve us?
  • ovinas1
    Options
    that's to little food to eat for the caloric sacrifice. for 500 calories I can eat 4 1/2 cups of cottage cheese and be stuffed (example)
    Would I rather eat the fries and burger YES. But when do you practice enough is enough.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    that's to little food to eat for the caloric sacrifice. for 500 calories I can eat 4 1/2 cups of cottage cheese and be stuffed (example)
    Would I rather eat the fries and burger YES. But when do you practice enough is enough.

ok - my point was there meals come in well under your assumed 1000 cals...
    -
    but way to move the goal posts..

• goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Seems to me that after awhile of eating homemade food that is lower in sodium and sugar the urge to eat any restaraunt food waned and nowadays I can hardly stand any restaurant food as it is just way to salty. I gag at the just the thought of fast food.

So you just don't go out to eat at restaurants? Like, ever? And I'm not talking fast food places. I'm talking sit-down, lingering meal, several courses restaurant.

Yeah, sharing all your meals with friends or family at your home or theirs sounds horrible. How could we possibly be happy without paying strangers to cook for and serve us?

Because sometimes it's nice to NOT cook for yourself or others and go out and have someone else serve you? I love Friday nights because that's the night where I don't even have to think about cooking. I also love my Friday nights because we go out to the same restaurant and meet up with friends and have made several new friends in the process. The whole point of eating out isn't just the food but the experience of getting dressed up, meeting new people, making friends and having a good time.

I find it very hard to believe that someone can 100% avoid going out to a restaurant. That would mean that they never go on vacation, or attend family functions that happen to be at a restaurant type establishment. Wedding receptions are usually done at a venue that serves food. If it's a reception that happens to be at someones house then it's typically catered. I'd personally get tired of always going over to someone's house and having them cook dinner for me because they refuse to go out to a restaurant and would stop inviting them out if their response was "Oh, why don't you just come here and have dinner?" (and I actually have done that with a friend who later I found out they prefer to hang out at home and have dinner and drink instead of going out. I prefer to go out so I stopped inviting them). And what about those times you just don't feel like cooking, where picking up the phone and ordering a pizza or going out somewhere is a desirable option? Again, I find it hard that someone can 100% avoid restaurants.

Frankly I'd get pretty bored of home cooked meals after a while.
  • candacefausset
    candacefausset Posts: 297 Member
    Options

really, how so?

I think a lot of people want all foods to be seen as "available" during a diet because studies and experience prove that allowing yourself an indulgence or a treat is 10 times more likely to result in successful, safe and maintainable weight loss. To me, it isn't so much about defending fast food as it is helping people succeed. If they know that nothing is off limits, they are less likely to binge after a long stint of depriving themselves. In the process of indulging occasionally and in moderation, they are further learning to think about food differently. They are learning about what their food is made of (as far as calories and macros) and how to meet those goals via portion control so that they can make a lifestyle change instead of just dieting to meet a goal and then going back to the old way and gaining everything back.
    Yup, I agree.

But we also need to recognize that it's easy for people to over eat food that is formulated to make us want more. I never did answer the OP's question. I agree with the "cook more" comments. I'm having to learn to do that myself. I was eating too many protein bars for a while. And don't be be overly stingy with those bad guys, fat salt and sugar in your own cooking. If what you are cooking isn't tantalizing, you're still going to prefer fast food. Lastly, I get cravings when I haven't had enough protein. Have a look at your macros (use the weekly feature).

I don't believe it is formulated to make you want more. Here's the thing- foods in general have different effects on your body. For instance sugar causes a spike in your blood sugar, then your body increases its insulin production in order to tell cells to absorb the sugar. Then when your blood sugar drops, you can have a sugar crash, and your body tells you you want more sugar. Fat, salt and sugar taste cravings are learned habits and can easily be unlearned. Fat, salt and sugar are also the things that makes foods taste good. And by coincidence, many fats, salts and sugars help to stabilize and lengthen the shelf life of commercially produced foods. That doesn't mean the food companies are putting crack in their burgers to make you want more. It just means they are doing what is best for their products to maintain integrity in the long haul. When you are a super giant corporation like McDonalds, you have to find some shortcuts to help when it comes to production and shelf life because they store in massive quantities. In most cases that means an increase in fats, sugars and sodium and a decrease in over all nutrition. It does not mean that they are out to get you or get you addicted. They know their appeal is convenience and taste. Those are going to win repeated customers without putting in addictive substances. It's just as easy to overeat the exact same "homemade" alternatives because they contain fats, sugars and salt- not because they contain evil ingredients that are made to get us addicted.

Besides I just ate a couple of Wendys burgers on Tuesday and I am not wanting nor craving more. The idea that you want more is in your head. There is no secret addictive substance making me crave it horribly. And that is coming from someone who used to drink 40-60 ounces of soda a day and used to eat out 4-8 times a week.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Seriously? You don't enjoy getting OUT of the house with friends and enjoy having someone wait on you? After taking care of (what feels like) EVERYONE in the freaking world at work coming home to cook for a group is not always on the top of my yippygoodtimes list. Now dressing up like a sexy *kitten* and going OUT with friends/family on occasion is wonderful. I'm sorry if you've never experienced that...

I *LOVE* cooking and experimenting with food. It's a hobby of mine and I love sharing my creations with my friends, but what a limiting thing for that to be my ONLY experience in life. Why NOT let someone else do the work and enjoy really good food that someone else worked hard to prepare.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Cooking at home is not sad, folks. Some of us are very skilled.
  • ovinas1
    Options

ok - my point was there meals come in well under your assumed 1000 cals...
    -
    but way to move the goal posts..

They do but always embelish to make your comment look stronger. o:)
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Cooking at home is not sad, folks. Some of us are very skilled.

No one said it was. The debate that is going on is over the fact that someone stated that they never, ever, EVER go out to restaurants any longer.

I cook dinner 5-6 days out of the week but I also enjoy not having to think of what to make and having someone else wait on me.

As I stated a few posts up going out to a restaurant isn't just about the food but the experience of getting dressed up, meeting people, making new friends, relaxing and having a good time. It is for me any way.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I have tried the quality chocolate, and my pedestrian tastes still prefer Dove dark chocolate caramel Promises with sea salt.

[/quote]

OMG, yum. Not that I was still following what was happening on this thread anyway, that Dove chocolate reference totally distracted me. (Did you hear Cadbury is banned in U.S. now? Ugh!!! A terrible thing. Hershey can't compete with Cadbury.) I think we ought to all take a chocolate break and try again.

I think most (not all) of us are closer than we think to agreeing with one another. I think the insistence to define and argue the shades of gray in every single word is drowning us in minutia, personally.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

Because sometimes it's nice to NOT cook for yourself or others and go out and have someone else serve you? I love Friday nights because that's the night where I don't even have to think about cooking. I also love my Friday nights because we go out to the same restaurant and meet up with friends and have made several new friends in the process. The whole point of eating out isn't just the food but the experience of meeting new people, making friends and having a good time.

I find it very hard to believe that someone can 100% avoid going out to a restaurant. That would mean that they never go on vacation, or attend family functions that happen to be at a restaurant type establishment. Wedding receptions are usually done at a venue that serves food. If it's a reception that happens to be at someones house then it's typically catered. I'd personally get tired of always going over to someone's house and having them cook dinner for me because they refuse to go out to a restaurant and would stop inviting them out if their response was "Oh, why don't you just come here and have dinner?" (and I actually have done that with a friend who later I found out they prefer to hang out at home and have dinner and drink instead of going out. I prefer to go out so I stopped inviting them). And what about those times you just don't feel like cooking, where picking up the phone and ordering a pizza or going out somewhere is a desirable option? Again, I find it hard that someone can 100% avoid restaurants.

Frankly I'd get pretty bored of home cooked meals after a while.

You are talking about your personal preferences. The post to which I replied deemed someone's very existence sad because of their personal preferences. See the difference?

But, under my example, there could be times when you weren't cooking or serving.
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    the nurse dietician at the hospital where I was last week told me that if I eat a slice of pizza, make it a thin slice with cheese only and have it once every two weeks at most. what do you all think of that?
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    (Did you hear Cadbury is banned in U.S. now? Ugh!!! A terrible thing. Hershey can't compete with Cadbury.)

Oh my freaking God, I saw that a few days back and I think I got so mad I turned purple. I guess that means I'm buying all of my chocolate off of Amazon now......
This discussion has been closed.