Options

Replies

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    kyta32 wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I can see where vibration might increase calories burned because you have to fight against the vibration, but I doubt it is enough to provide significant results.

Lol. Fighting against vibration. The things you come up with.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/05/090508045323.htm
    Couldn't find the study, but... In 2009 Vissers found that dieting women who used the power plate for six months lost significantly more body weight (11% of original weight), especially visceral fat, than than dieting women on a different exercise program (7%). Very little of the body weight (.5%) or visceral fat (about .1cm) had been gained back six months after the intervention ended. Each exercise session was 12 minutes for the first three months, and 14 minutes for the second three months.

Exercising on the plate causes more muscle contractions due to fluctuations in how much force is needed for exercises like squats, calf lifts, and pushups. I'm not sure how much stability and balance would be involved as well (these machines appear to have rails).

So...the evidence says they are effective, but I don't know if it is worth it (unless there is one already at your gym).

Yes, and it's well known that the study was horribly flawed. It has never been shown to be any more effective when the exercises are the same.
  • smr1015
    smr1015 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The only time I've heard of these being useful is for stretching. The movement can help you get a deeper stretch and shake out the muscles. But, as far as actually accomplishing weight loss - completely useless.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    It's called a sybian, and if it doesn't work for you, you're probably not using proper form or the right attachments.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    M vibrating machine takes batteries... Does yours?

Triple a's. The other is rechargeable.

This thread is going to get me in trouble lol.
  • CObluegrass
    CObluegrass Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    The first commercial gym I ever visited (high school? middle school?) had one of those. To think that I'm actually old enough to have seen one of these being used as "exercise equipment" makes me want to cry. LOL

lei8aje3gep7.jpg
    every Holiday Inn I ever stayed in during the 70's had these in their "gym", haha. good memories.
  • nickylee76
    nickylee76 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Not exactly what I had in mind when I entered this thread..... I didn't even know they still sold anything like that.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    nickylee76 wrote: »
    Not exactly what I had in mind when I entered this thread..... I didn't even know they still sold anything like that.

The belt vibrators no, those died in the 50's or 60's but the power plates are still around.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options

The belt vibrators no, those died in the 50's or 60's but the power plates are still around.

I saw one in the 70s or 80s at the gym near my parents' house!
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I have one at home. It was recommended for my diabetic mother in law for her neuropathy.

The only remotely weight loss function it has is it does help relieve soreness.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

I saw one in the 70s or 80s at the gym near my parents' house!

They wouldn't happen to live near the Smithsonian, would they? ;)
  • funfang
    funfang Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    are you talking about this? My girl friend is one of the girls they hired to do the excise video for this product. She is very fit and a Pilates insulator. The only time she ever use this machine is for the video shoot and she got paid for it! NO, it doesn't work....

xz083o99j93n.jpg

and while searching for the image, I found this, I . just. can't....

8wrwk4ydcbbj.jpg
  • JoKnowsJo
    JoKnowsJo Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    When do we start seeing these again?

Sweat-Box.jpg

WHAT a Sweat Box?
    /\ /\ same here...and sweat boxes they are on Amazon... ha and to this thread it made my lunch... :) so silly... we are so easily amused which is good sometimes... please just workout and log your food intake works so much better.
  • maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Did help my leg DOMS a little but other than that I steer clear
  • FrancesAnnLFM
    Options
    trying to get image of quarters dropped into hotel bed vibrators..we had one that would not shut off in las vegas had to rip out the cord..omg..years and years ago...sadly there are no shortcuts to weight loss no magical pills, no tonics or fastings...food in exercise out..bingo....it works
  • elphie754
    Options
    funfang wrote: »
    are you talking about this? My girl friend is one of the girls they hired to do the excise video for this product. She is very fit and a Pilates insulator. The only time she ever use this machine is for the video shoot and she got paid for it! NO, it doesn't work....

xz083o99j93n.jpg

8wrwk4ydcbbj.jpg

Take away the dumb bells and this looks like a jazzed up mechanical bull lol.
  • elphie754
    Options
    trying to get image of quarters dropped into hotel bed vibrators..we had one that would not shut off in las vegas had to rip out the cord..omg..years and years ago...sadly there are no shortcuts to weight loss no magical pills, no tonics or fastings...food in exercise out..bingo....it works

Ugh. A vibrating bed would make me hurl. I guess that would technically be good out lol (totally not advocating this).
  • Holla4mom
    Holla4mom Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Omg! Between the Ellen clip and the woman on the vibrating bull with tiny dumbbells, I can't stop laughing. This thread is going to get somebody in trouble though!
  • WithWhatsLeft
    WithWhatsLeft Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    yes.
    (I don't know what the post says but I like it's title)
  • WithWhatsLeft
    WithWhatsLeft Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Oh.

nevermind.
    I think most people are picturing this:

UGQNyph.jpg

but OP is likely talking about this:

zenergy-collage.jpg

Both are useless for weight loss.

• Delilahhhhhh
    Delilahhhhhh Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    funfang wrote: »

xz083o99j93n.jpg

8wrwk4ydcbbj.jpg

Take away the dumb bells and this looks like a jazzed up mechanical bull lol.

Ride'em cowgirl!!