Going out for Thai food tonight

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    and like I said, Tom Kha soup. I'd beat someone to death for that.
  • ashleycde
    ashleycde Posts: 622 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I agree about the pad thai. Ask the server if they use tamarind in their pad thai, if they say no or have to check with the kitchen, they use ketchup (as a lot of Thai places do), so skip it.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    So I have decide 1 thing I'm getting so far is Shrimp pad thai. My partner at work said I should really like it. He's a chef and after driving me around for 3 years buying food all day once a week he's pretty say to my eating style.

Here's the thing man, Pad Thai is THE dish. You can tell how good the cooks are at a place by the quality of the pad thai. Done well, it's sublime. Done poorly, you'll wish you had gone to panda express.

I was always meh about pad thai (not much of a noodle person) but then I had some *bad* *kitten* and haven't ordered it in years.

Ahh just saw the post about ketchup - I never knew that but that is EXACTLY the nasty taste that it had. It would never have occurred to me lol. BTW that was at Pei Wei, the PF Chang takeout place.

• JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    ashleycde wrote: »
    I agree about the pad thai. Ask the server if they use tamarind in their pad thai, if they say no or have to check with the kitchen, they use ketchup (as a lot of Thai places do), so skip it.

Using ketchup in pad thai? That must be an american thing. I've never seen that before.
  • dbmata
    Options
    So I have decide 1 thing I'm getting so far is Shrimp pad thai. My partner at work said I should really like it. He's a chef and after driving me around for 3 years buying food all day once a week he's pretty say to my eating style.

Here's the thing man, Pad Thai is THE dish. You can tell how good the cooks are at a place by the quality of the pad thai. Done well, it's sublime. Done poorly, you'll wish you had gone to panda express.
    No one invited you into this thread Mr. Molecular Gastronomy.

I was actually going to say that add that I don't have a way to rate it good or bad. Now I know. Hopefully I don't get slimed.
    ... well, that's what I get for trying to be helpful.

Guess I'll eat some worms.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    spicy basil tofu or shrimp. Heaven.
  • dbmata
    Options

Using ketchup in pad thai? That must be an american thing. I've never seen that before.

same, what brand of evil witchcraft is this?
  • Delilahhhhhh
    Delilahhhhhh Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    pad thai, pad thai and pad thai.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    definitely the fresh spring rolls and pad thai with tofu, extra spicy!
  • ashleycde
    ashleycde Posts: 622 Member
    Options

It's common here as a lot of the Thai restaurants are Chinese-run, so they're not authentic. We have a lot of Chinese-run sushi restaurants as well, that pail in comparison to the few Japanese spots. Authentic Thai uses tamarind, a lot of Thai restaurants use ketchup. It's way more common than you would think.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options

Until I read that I just thought it had something rotten in it. Maybe it was rotten ketchup although I think I read earlier today at MFP that condiments never spoil...

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I like the duck dishes! Yum. Super hearty.
  • mandykent111
    mandykent111 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Drunken noodles or pad thai! yum yum!
  • dbmata
    Options
    check the link I posted. Had that on Monday. ;)
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    see, no sticky rice = bad sign
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I love green papaya salad, its crunchy, sweet and spicy. Drunken noodles, nom nom nom. Penang duck sounds delicious too.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Ok just checking the menu , maybe don't order their green papaya salad they put tomato in it? No just no.

It always has tomato in it? Every Som Tam I ever had in thailand had tomato in it...